Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Die sets for door beads

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Shack31, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Shack31

Shack31

Where can I get the die sets for the beads that are on my doors? I haven't even touched a bead roller before, much less know what to look for to produce these beads. I want to try making my own patch panels for my '31 Ford coupe....atleast I think I want to!
    Thanks!
    Jeff

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Are you talking about the double feature under the window or the body line at the very bottom of the door?

I am not a metal wizard like some of the guys here so my solutions, in order would be
    Find a solid replacement door
    Buy one of the many available repop door skins
    Find a shop with a pullmax (or similar tool) and have them put the feature in

I think that trying to put that double body line under the window in with a bead roller will be very difficult. That is a job for a pullmax I think. (It was stamped in originally)
    The one at the bottom of the door should be easier on a roller... but being so close to the edge of the panel may present it's own set of issues
    There are companies out there that will make you dies...notbsure of the cost... probably more than a door skin though.

The two people I know with a pullmax machine usually make their own dies.

One last note.
    If you fill out your profile with your location it will he easier for the folks here to make recommendations or even offer to help.

Hope this helps
    Chappy

Shack31, 5window and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. ......Good advice right there, especially about putting your general location in your profile.:D

Peter Nowak and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  4. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

A photo would help.

justabeater37 likes this.

5. I understand wanting to do things yourself. I don't know of any dies made that are specific to any exact profile. For that exact one generally speaking you start with a pair of Blank dies for your specific machine and make what you need of them. Once you roll the profile how are you going to address the rest of the lower edge? There is a crown to the door and it has a return on it so you still have a few steps to do before you have a panel ready to install. Even buying s patch panel you still have some tune up to do to make a nice job of it unless your a Mud Slinger.

6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I think Lazze has some specialty dies that might be what you need. Check them out on Utube and they have some related videos as well as general video stuff.

Shack31 likes this.
  7. His Ford specific dies are for '33-34.

8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I bought a strip of the '30-'31 beltline re-pop panels... 1/2" above and 1/2" below the beltlines.
    IMO... the beltline beads were not "crisp" enough … probably rolled not stamped... work in a pinch.
    maybe tap a strip of sheet metal on edge in the creases with a bean bag as backing...

Shack31 likes this.
  9. Dyce

Dyce

I have dies I made myself. As far as I know nobody sells them. As stated in a previous post above it might help if you add some information to your profile so other members know what part of the world you are from.

10. chev34ute

chev34ute

58D84493-AF6E-4333-8848-E7057AFA67B5.jpeg 88DB5DC5-3A78-42FE-BCE7-868E7FA335F4.jpeg I have done both, had them machined locally and used existing ones. By far the best combination I have ever used is a set of rounding over dies and a lower urethane wheel.
    I used the upper rounding over wheel to tip the edges of the sheet metal to create the folds and create the beads.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. chev34ute

chev34ute

Here are some samples. The first one is a 30 Pickup Cab I am reproducing.

12EB1868-DFAA-4BDF-AE50-00CEE8C142AC.jpeg E1F01C30-D1FD-402C-88C1-9583312B545B.jpeg

lothiandon1940 likes this.