Register now to get rid of these ads!

Diamond in the rough – The Bill Young/Allan Neff Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by N8B, Mar 4, 2010.

1. N8B

N8B

The Bill Young/Allan Neff Roadster
    This Roadster was originally built in 1949-1950 and was constructed around a 1937 chevy frame and drive train. The car currently runs a modified 216 Chevy 6 but has had various engine and drive train combinations through the years ranging from Chrysler straight 8’s to Packard straight 8’s and many more. The body is all stainless steel.

The roadster was a purpose built racer and has seen time on the Bonneville Sal Flats, Drag strips and at numerous Circle tracks. It has been racing for the better part of 40+ years.
    Bill was a true racer and had great success through those years until he refused to follow the rules placed on him by the sanctioning bodies of the late 90’s.

He agreed to the ridiculous roll cage, (although he made it unbolt) but he drew the line at seat belts. He threw a fit and argued he had been racing and winning in that exact car and configuration longer than the sanctioning bodies had been in existence. He lost that fight.
    His last race, after refusing to put in seat belts, was at the antique nationals in 1996.
    The roadster has seen print coverage in several magazines such as Street Rodder magazine but has been under wraps since 1996. The car moved around every few years until ultimately Bill gave the car to Allan Neff to keep because he had no use for it if he couldn’t race it. Bill is 83 years young now and continues to build & drive his hot rods.

Allan had been responsible most of the fabrication work through those years of racing and is the current care taker of the car.
    With Allan’s consent and help we plan to move the car to my shop and revive it and get her back on the road and racing once again.
    The plans to re work the car will be to change the current tire configuration from the bad 90’s influenced centerlines to 16” Wire wheels with Firestone ribbed racing tires.
    We may re body the back half of the car to form a boat tail roadster. All body panels will be out of stainless steel to match the existing elements.
    All of the original elements will be tucked away and saved, although very few of those will be removed.
    Allan has just become a member so He will chime in and give us a little more background on the car, and correct me if I have gotten anything out of context from our conversations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will update as we proceed.
    Thanks,
    N

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. N8B

N8B

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I remember that car in Street Rodder. Great piece of history. Can't wait to see it restored.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking forward to seeing this Nate! Oh yeah... I'm going to be needing a ride in this as well to make sure you've done a good job. With NO seatbelts, of course! :D;)

5. Weasel

Weasel

Wow N8B - what a neat piece of history and great to see it will be resurrected. Thanks for the story and be sure to keep us posted....

6. N8B

N8B

Thanks guys. I may need some help with wheels (wires) once we get it down here.
    I look forward to this one. I can not even describe with words the purrrr this baby has once she is lit up.
    The exhaust is run with flex tube. I have thought about a solid side pipe down the left, mid body but want to discuss that with Allan.

7. N8B

N8B

Up for the weekend crew.
    The car will be coming down to Our shop next week.
    Anyone coming to Viva can also see it in person there.

8. N8B

N8B

We took delivery of the car today.
    Here are some more shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have you ever seen a triple split exhaust??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First thing to go is that god awful roll bar.
    A new set of period wheels and tires to replace the racing wheels used later in its life.
    We also need a good SW amp gauge to match this set.
    The alt. will come out and be replaced with a generator.
    I'd like to put a double or triple thickstun intake or something similar on her also.
    This little roadster starts up perfectly and is the best, strongest sounding 6 I have ever heard.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  9. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

That header makes for some interesting coversation.

It'll be nice to see this racr car "back Dated".

hey it could even run a El Mirage - just neeeds a newer cage :(

10. N8B

N8B

Mark,
    It sure does, but it's effective. Not only is it the best sounding 6 I have heard it's also the fastest I have driven.
    I am putting feelers out to 'you know who' to see if maybe we can do a 12 port conversion on this car.

11. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Now thats one i'd like to see ;)

Last I heard 6 figures were mentioned for the collection

12. N8B

N8B

We managed to get the roll cage off.
    It's amazing what a difference it makes.

Attached Files:

13. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

THIS car is also parked at Viva Las Vegas for those of you that would like to see it...:cool:

14. N8B

N8B

All right. I have been in a rutt as of late.
    I'm looking for some ideas / photos for wheel combos.
    Thinking Firestones on wires??
    Nick drudge up some from your collection.
    Anyone?