Register now to get rid of these ads!

Deuce Tudor, The Basic... Beginning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zombiescustoms, Jan 31, 2012.

1. This will be the start of a build thread on my Fathers and my 32 Ford Tudor. The car was bought here on the HAMB from Mike in AZ. The car is pretty much an unmolested car, it was originally Washington Blue (still has som of the original paint inside), no real rust to speak of but it has had a hard life, and needs a lot of hammer and dolly work. the plan is to disassemble the car and have the multiple layers of paint media blasted off, the frame horns need some repair but other than that the frame looks good. The plan for the car is an unchopped Hiboy running an 50s Flathead, 39 trans and reusing the juice brakes that are already installed some time ago. a dropped axle and a 39 rear with 3.54 gears. The motor and trans are already done. We may put the fenders on at some point but they need a lot of work. The car will a great "Basic" car, nothing fancy just something to jump in and drive!!

This is the third Deuce we have between us, my Dad owns a 5w that he bought in 1958, that was his first car at 14 years old. It is a pretty much stock model B with a built Riley 2 port banger in it. I have a roadster that was built by the Philadelphia Modifiers in the early 60's and was found outside Philly around 2000 in an old garage.

Here are some pics of the Tudor and what has been done so far:
    [​IMG]

Original Washington Blue Paint
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Flatty:
    [​IMG]

started removing fenders:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hopefully within a week or so we will have the body off and can start cleaning the many years of AZ desert dust off of it!

Pops car:
    [​IMG]
    my car as found:
    [​IMG]
    and now:
    [​IMG]
    I'll be updating the progress with lots of pictures over the next year.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. brady1929

brady1929

sweet hot rod

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

hey...post this on the deuce club thread also...;)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. slepe67

slepe67

HOLY EFF!!!! Nice!!!!

5. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

Damn Nice! Keep us posted on your progress.

6. billylo

billylo

Sweet. Thanks for sharing. I love your roadster.

7. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Glad to see another deuce being resurrected. I can tell you that there is nothing more fun than a deuce tudor. Think about putting the fenders back on, it gives the car personality. I always say "If it's not steel,its not real and if you don't have a deuce you don't have shit!" Just my opinion, I could be wrong. but I'm NOT. I love my deuce!!!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Like I told the kid "Your musics not too loud, its just like OKC, it sucks!"

Attached Files:

8. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

clean start

9. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Nice start, keep us posted.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice addition to the colection! I'd vote for the full fenders too. Nice to see a good solid car now and then. Hope to see you at Hershey. Bob

11. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Heres another picture of my "Full Fendered" 32. I just think they have the right look with full fenders. Kinda like having a "Full Figured" girlfriend. LOL

Attached Files:

12. flatoz

flatoz

I posted a reply yesterday but it seems to have disapeared. Anyway what I said was I will be watching what you do to fit the 8BA motor in with the stock firewall. I know on my roadster I had to snip the lower edge and bend it back up towards the dash so it didn't touch the back of the motor. My Dad and I are planning basically exactly the same thing your doing 8BA 39 trans and 3.54 gears in a Tudor too, so happy to see how you go with it all.

I was just out in the shed looking at the motor thinking I should tear that down this weekend so I can see what I need. We will keep ours fully fendered though. Looks like the Tudors might be similar sisters across the pond.

13. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

sounds like you are going to have alot of fun building this one. engine set up looks awesome.

14. 31ford429

31ford429
    from Florida

great car love the looks of a tudor sedan. couldn't ask for a better solid body car

15. Got a lot done today, removed the other rear fender, and both running boards, then got a little carried away and pulled the body off. To my surprise only one bolt had to have the head cut off, pretty amazing for an 80 year old car that has never been taken apart!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

very clean start

17. I had not thought about the firewall clearance, I'm assuming its because of the differance in the bellhousing on the later flattys?

18. flatoz

flatoz

I tried to take a photo of what I was talking about but the camera had trouble focusing due to the location, I will see if I can dig up any photos while the engine is out.

19. A small update, I got the front end apart and started mocking up the dropped axle, and 39 spindles, have not decided if I'm going to use the F100 box I have or the stock box. Did some frame horn straightening, going to have the soda blaster guy come in a week or so to have the body stripped, and see what kind of job it will do on the frame and firewall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Got a lot done today, pulled out the banger and dug out 80 years of dirt and grime from inside the frame rails, found that the VIN is actually stamped 3 times down the drivers frame rail. Got the new trans and belhousing bolted in, and set the flathead in. I need to pull off the crank pully and cut the back ring off of it as it hits the lip on the crossmember. The sodablaster comes next saturday, and then I can really get rolling! Here are the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Wow - looks great! That there is real hot rodding!

22. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

To cool! Man i like c-dans

23. tire fryer

tire fryer
    from kansas

Looks great!! See my sedan on the Thread Slowly getting my 1932 sedan done

24. Some more HQ pics of the Flathead in, and with the grill, hood and new radiator mocked up. Yes I am going to use a new aluminum radiator, it will be one of the very few "new" parts used, I will be painting it black so it does not stick out like a sore thumb!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. 60 ford

60 ford

Great start. It is hard to believe how clean that car is. subscribed

26. A small update on progress, I'm still hashing out the front pulley clearance issue with the crossmember, do believe I have decided to trim it a bit for clearance. Today I got everything sodablasted, it turned out better than I expected, even uncovered some old bullet holes!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Looks like you are making progress. I still think you should put the fenders on it. Just my humble opinion. Progress and process make for a fun job.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Like I told the kid, "Your musics not too loud, its just like OKC, it sucks!"

28. Set the body back on, just to give some perspective, and to do some measurements for the suspension mods, next on the list is setting up the 39 rear.
    [​IMG]

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

This is definitely turning out to be one of the better deuce tudors I've seen on here. Tasty.

30. Got a lot of little things done this week. Ground the 39 spring and fit the rear in, and started measuring to cut the torque tube and driveshaft. Did some welding on the body and heated and pulled some dents out of the roof, got the doors fitting better. Straightened the really boogered up front frame horns. Trimmed the front CM to clear the front CS pulley. Started prepping the frame, firewall, hoods and grill shell for sealer, the body needs a lot more "massaging". Set the motor in one last time befor the frame is finished and painted. Have not decided to do the frame black or blue to match the body, leaning towards gloss black to match the wheels that will be on it.
    Here are some progress pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]