Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Deuce Of Spades" - The Next American Graffiti?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HiboyGirl, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

No thin skin here.... Lived through 10 years of civil war, have been shot at , bombed at , I don't think a forum is going to scare me :rolleyes: .

Having said that, I have to get ready, I'm heading back to LACR to film today. Hoping to capture as much as possible of the dragstrip before it is forever LOST... Sad sad story...:(

Today I watched some of the footage shot at El Mirage last week-end, including the 1955 SCTA start line scene. I was really worried about possible technical mishaps but fortunately that shoot went smoothly. Jim Miller, currator for the Hotround Foundation was behind camera #2 and did a great job at capturing additional footage, angles of the same scene. I ended up with a lot more useable footage than I expected :D .

I want to thank all the people who participated in that shoot, especially the two kids, it really came together nicely on screen. It was quite a treat to see all these old cars lined up with their numbers, seemed like a time warp of some sort.

Special thanks also to the SCTA announcer for helping us gather cars and announcing the film to the spectators that were at El Mirage that day. That was cool.

2. hotroddaddy

hotroddaddy
    from jax, fla

PS: You are entitled to your opinions, but common courtesy dictates that if you have nothing good to say about anything, then perhaps you should say nothing at all and just go your merry way... It's not like we really need to hear your opinions or they matter. If you do not like the movie then simply don't watch it. See? It's so very very Simple...

This point may be true, but when you come on a public forum like this, you are asking for it. Plus i have seen your threads from different forums, as well as this one, and you have the tendency to force your enthusiasm on the general public, which in my opinion, is just as rude. I do commend you for your efforts, you are not a lazy person by any means, but not everyone cares as much as you, so do not get mad when your dreams are challenged. good luck.

3. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Apparently, not repellant enough :D

Either I am getting old or you are, because I simply do not recall ever saying my work is wonderful. :confused:

I vaguely remember talking about filming the roadster on El Mirage dry lake at sunset and that it was gorgeous (or breathtaking etc...). And it truly was. What I was filming was beautiful. Now whether I was able to capture it on film or not remains another question altogether. I was primarily hanging on to the SUV open tail gate while it was going quite fast in reverse and just hoping I would not fall out while filming :rolleyes:. Which made for a challenging shoot, but fun one. The light was challenging too, we were losing it FAST. And a lot of dust kept getting in the shot, as well as long shadows from the chase vehicle...I kept having to readjust my iris and clean my lense to keep filming.

But anyways, for anyone who truly loves hotrods, the sight of that roadster at sunset on the dry lake was quite a treat in deed. When I get the photos back I will share them.

4. hey this whole thing sounds like great fun..
    sorry i have not read every post
    so please excuse any repitition

look at old hotrod mags for car styling
    have look life and mcalls papers ,RADIO WAS HUGE around the set for props
    do not be date correct be acouple years old as folks were always a few years behind the times
    period clothes same idea.. older not current 50's dated

i had a bunch of year books from cal that i sold years ago

in them was a bunch of letters that were back and forth from some class mates ... they were saying things like thier boy friends were bean bandits and they were never around on weekends cuz they raced ... friends disapeared cuz they got pg hanging with the wrong crowd...that these new girls are so not cool cuz they make out on the first the date if the guy has a nice car to be seen in and so on

I wish ihad copied these letters i have tred to get them back as i knew the guy that bought them but he ain't givin em up

i like your idea and felt the connection when i read those ol letters from a yearbook
    funny i collect them now i have ann margarets from her 9th grade ..

also i have some old home movies from people unknown????
    that show brief glimpses of fifties life each has about 2-3 minutes of xmas ,birthdays, the turkey at thanksgiving being brought out of the kitchen,weddings ,and such one shows a young kid getting a old model t as a preteenager then little progress shots until he drives it off to college...

i wish ya luck i collect a lot of obscure 50's stuff(ugly lamps , curtains, etc,to bad i'm so far away

5. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Hello :)

Do you have the 50's footage on DVD? if not, what format are they currently in? I would LOVE to be able to watch them. What a great way to see how people REALLY lived then.

Let me know...

6. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Rat Fink party at LACR yesterday went well. I didn't do a lot of filming, just pick ups for what I had filmed 2 month ago at the Antique nationals. Tried my new tripod and it ruled. Panning was at long last smooth... It is very heavy though so logging it around on my shoulder was a work out! :rolleyes:

Met some nice people, including the producer of Hotrod Havoc's videos, he is really cool.

All in all, a good night.

7. HiboyGirl,love the concept,wish i wasn't so far away,because i'd love to help.Good luck on the project,keep positive,despite the cyber-critics!!!My family has just sold my Grandmothers house up here,she's been there since the 40's.If there is anything that i can get for set pieces,maybe hamb relay could get them to you for $0.Anything you need?The house is like a time capsule.

8. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Thank you :) I will PM you right now about this.

9. Juke Joint Johnny

Juke Joint Johnny

I can provide color copies of at least two different, very clean '51 plates with '55 tags that you could mount onto black foam-core. - Anyone else ???

10. Juke Joint Johnny

Juke Joint Johnny

I think Angelos drive-in in Fresno, is much more accurate looking. They've filmed at least one movie there before.

11. Did you check out Hill Canyon? I saw some fresh oil spots in the road by the tree.

Thanks,
    Kurt

12. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

:) Great! Are you going to snap a photo and email it to me or mail me a hard copy of plate? let me know... Best if you private Message me about this, many thanks again :)

13. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

No, not me sir :) have a shoot this saturday to prepare for and an audition today. Completely slammed. My week-end is shot, looks like it will have to be next week... :rolleyes:

14. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

I will be posting production stills and some other cool roadster photos pretty soon. There was 500 shots, I had to look at all of them and make my final selection... Time consumming task. Also, these are very high res photos and are HUGE, so I have to shrink them down before I can upload them to the net... Hang in there, they're coming within the week hopefully! I'll try to post a few sooner, though...

15. moefuzz

moefuzz

HiboyGirl,

I live too far away to be involved with your movie but would just like to say "Thanks" ...

Thanks for the love and effort it takes in getting a big project off the ground..
    Thanks for bringing back the lost art of the 'Drive in style' movie

And Thanks for just being HiboyGirl...

I'll probably never see this movie play in my home town (I'm not in the USA) so my question would be,
    Is there going to be a dvd available???? I'll buy one...
    Can't wait to see your production stills...

Thanks again for being back the lost art of the hot rod movie...

moe

16. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Moe, I love you man :D .

17. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

PRODUCTION STILLS AND FOOTAGE STILLS from the movie, as well as other photos of THE DEUCE OF SPADES roadster, will be posted here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197607

Updates on the filming will be posted on above new thread, too.

I will keep this thread for all questions about the movie, and questions about how you can contribute, so post them HERE, or PM me.

Thank you much! Hope you all enjoy the photos I will be posting on the new thread, some are real eye candy.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey folks... Please stop the trash talking... Any more of it and this post is done.

19. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Hello Ryan :) I could not agree more with you. This should be a fun thread about a cool little hotrod movie in the making, I am not sure why everyone feels so inclined to fight and trash left and right about it. I have to put my bullet proof vest and helmet everytime I log on :rolleyes: I have been dodging projectiles left and right... :eek: I appreciate your stepping in, thank you, you have a GREAT forum here and I am honored to be a part of it.

20. 47fatfender

47fatfender

Hi Fiath,,,Just wanted to drop a line and tell that I'm really proud of you ,Your doing such a great job,,,I really miss being a part of it,,Keep up the great work,,,your an inspiration for all us rodders.
    I love you girl,,and always will.
    Love Jeff, oops I mean SEAN

21. rebarsfords

rebarsfords

Hi ya Highboy Girl
    I'm just one of the nobodys here, but I've been following the posts
    about your movie.
    I just wanna tell you, you seem to be quite the gal.
    Beauty, brains & talent. I think it's awesome, taking on the project
    you have. Two thumbs up from me.
    I can't wait to see the movie.

22. moefuzz

moefuzz

Yep,

And if more people would take the time to dig a little deeper they would see all the 'Stuff' that is hiboygirl.

And like Ryan has stated, please stop the trash talking....

There is more to this girl than most could ever imagine but all is lost on persons that haven't done their homework...

Thanks again for all your hard work in all the fascinating directions you seem to delve...

?What's not to love?

moe

23. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Oh geese you guys are making me all mushy inside... :D Thank you for the kind words, I am going to try to do my very best and hope the movie will be worthwhile... I have been working my ass off on it, worked ALL week-end, from 4AM sat until 9PM tonight (sunday), both doing script rewrites and filming... I just hope it comes out good, that's all I ask for. It's a beautiful story, I hope I can do it justice.

24. greaserwithoutacause

greaserwithoutacause
    from la verne

25. 1- More 1955 or ealier period correct hotrods and stock cars. You drive your own car. Mostly one day shoot - or couple hours shoot. Cars to use as parked cars, cross traffic etc...

I have my Chopped 1950 Ford. Its in "progress" but very drivable and still looks good!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

26. hotroddn56

hotroddn56
    from usa

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    email me at [email protected] Also my house was made in the mid 50's and the street still has an old look to it. as you can see in some of the pictures. Here is the front of the house with my car before it was painted.
    [​IMG] Here are a few other cars I am working on if you need any mechanical seens
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  27. hotroddn56

hotroddn56
    from usa

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    email me at [email protected] Also my house was made in the mid 50's and the street still has an old look to it. as you can see in some of the pictures. Here is the front of the house with my car before it was painted.
    [​IMG] Here are a few other cars I am working on if you need any mechanical seens
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  28. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

Good Luck - I love your idea, and I can't wait to see your film!
    I want to be one of your first customers!

Tony from Boston

29. roddinron

roddinron

I think it looks great so far and can't wait to see it. But for some reason the name bothers me, just seems hokey or something, I don't mean that as a bash or anything, there's just something about the name. But what do I know? Anyway, I sure hope it is the next Graffiti.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.