Register now to get rid of these ads!

deuce, ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39cent, Nov 8, 2007.

1. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Can,t find the ID # on my Deuce 2dr. I thought it was on the left frame rail in front of the firewall leg. Any other places on the frame?

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

We had one that was so faint and barely indented that it wasn't seen until we wire brushed and slightly sanded the paint away.
    the other place i know of is the right rail near the rear wheel area.

3. Mine is on the top of the left rail at the kick up over the back wheel

4. gasser

gasser

They are supposed to be in the centre and on the rear kick up also but I have never found one on any of the frames I have had. The ones I have found on the frame have been right on the edge sort of half way behind the firewall foot. i guess so it could be seen with fender in place. If you cant see it you could try a dye pen spray.

5. rainh8r

rainh8r

On later Fords they are in 3 places on the left frame rail; top of rail near steering box, center of car on top of rail, and above the rear axle on the top of the rail. I know the front one should be there somewhere but they are kind of vague sometimes and can vary from the firewall to the front crossmember. I've seen the one above the rear axle but haven't seen the center one on a 32 frame. It may be there, but I haven't seen it. The last one I checked had the front one quite a ways forward. I'm sure there are others here that know more about the 32 specifically.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Actually mine was just inside the firewall leg. I can't find any other location on this frame. It's an early frame. Of 5 local original frames this is the only one with legible numbers.

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Mine is also just inside the firewall leg ... early frame also. :)

The numbers were stamped by HAND by Ford ... so they are not so uniform and sometimes not very deep. I have never found any other numbers on the frames I have ... and I have looked. I have had 6 or 7 with numbers you could read and a couple you could not ...

8. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

thanx to all you have helped a lot. I was going by memory because I last had a duece in 1964 and it was legible on top left of frame, by the firewall leg. But you guys indicate all kinds of spots. well i,m gonna start looking.

9. beauishere

beauishere

My 5W has all three as described above. Good luck.

10. mecutem

mecutem

Most of the 32 frames I have seen have all 3 places. The center number is about middle of the door area and closer to the inside of the frame. The rear number is just ahead of the crown over rear axle and closer to the outside of the frame rail. The middle number is often rust pitted because of its location. The front number is easily destroyed if the frame is boxed and had some grinder work. Best bet is the rear number.
    If you do find a number be very careful when cleaning the old paint/rust away. Use a fine sandpaper and sneak up on it. A dim flashlight in a dimly lighted room works best. Keep changing the angle of the light beam over the numbers. The numbers are uaually punched very shallow. Steve

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I see trouble.........one '32 frame can have THREE numbers, two can't be seen when the body is mounted. We all have hacksaws and the ability to weld.

12. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

i have also found the center frame number and the one over the left wheel with no star or prefix ab or 18. just production numbers these were clean frames.. ?

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That is normal, and I think it is the way it is still done...I believe these "secret" hidden numbers designed for theft recovery on modern cars too have just the unique serial, and drop all the prefix codes still.

14. showrod

showrod

after reading this post I went out and slowly cleaned the area by my firewall with 600 grit and little by little the numbers began to appear it was like archeology. I thought the #'s where long gone. so thanks to the hamb [again]

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I use a good wire brush to clean the area and then a little cornstarch rubbed on the numbers and they usually show up fairly clear.