Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Deuce coupe... Can't decide 7" or 9" Headlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groovy, Mar 20, 2018.

1. I simply do not understand guys running stock headlights on hotrods.

2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

You're not the only one....

3. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Another pic. IMG_20180307_170517.jpg

dirty old man likes this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't own one but I like them smaller. It's the first thing done in the 40's-50's. I never saw a 32 with 32 lights..they were in the trash... Do what you like and don't worry about what others think..That's what's making our young folks today commit suicide......live your own life, not how many "likes" you get on social media......

5. shortypu

shortypu

At first I had the 7''s on my coupe and they sucked at nite and no blinkers.Then I switched to modern non traditional 32 lights with xenon bulbs with blinkers and they are very bright and imo they look better.My 33 ford was built in the late 60s with T bucket style stands with small headlights and I switched to 33 lights witch I thought was a big improvement.As some other people have said its your car do what you think looks best. IMG_0600.JPG IMG_4218.JPG IMG_4559.jpg IMG_0490.JPG

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

If you think this:
    [​IMG]
    Looks "better" than this:
    [​IMG]
    Well, what can I say. It's a subjective like/dislike, but I think you're nuts!

The problem with this:
    [​IMG]
    Is not the size of the lights, it's the placement of them. Those stands are hideous.

7. I really like them now that Drake has come out with the new Mini Cooper inspired headlight reflectors they are amazing. HRP

upload_2018-3-22_17-0-1.jpeg

pprather likes this.
  8. town sedan

town sedan

Let's be practical here. The larger the head light the more wind resistance it produces limiting top speed in the traps. So, small lamps please.
    -Dave

Vanness likes this.
  9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well, that's a "fence straddling" post if ever I saw one!

10. rustythumb

rustythumb

if you like the big headlights ,use them, but please don't call them traditional! they were the first things thrown in the trash can by rodders from ww2 to the late 60's.

11. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

If you run the larger lights you will qualify for a refund on your tax return as part of the Federal Mosquito Abatement Program (House Bill Bug032).... CHANGE 2014 019.JPG

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Big headlights ARE traditional.....Phooey on you! :D HRP

[​IMG]

MAD 034 and LOU WELLS like this.
  13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny, I prefer the term "period correct" rather than traditional, and definitely disagree with the term traditional as used here on HAMB. As you know I'm an old fart, 80 in fact, and grew up with the birth of post war hot rodding. And the old bulb and removable lens headlights were so dim after the reflectors tarnished and the lens were sandblasted to a foggy blur from driving on dusty dirt roads, that the axiom "so dim you gotta strike a match to see if they're burning" was quite true for pre sealed beam headlights. Most popular models, you could get a sealed beam conversion that used a sort of ring adapter to allow you to install sealed beam lights from the '40 and later models. Most had a poor chrome job and within a year looked like "Fido' Ass".;
    The guys that had the bucks and knew where to find them bought King Bee and Dietz for the early stuff like 28-34.
    So to me, period correct isn't the big lights if you had the bucks to replace them.

Nicholas Coe, LOU WELLS and pprather like this.