Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Detroit Autorama 2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by derbydad276, Jan 1, 2020.

1. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

Your right about that and that's why we are taking Amtrack from NW. Indiana this year. Planning to be in the basement most of the weekend.

2. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Dogpatchcustoms

Dogpatchcustoms

All set up in the basement next to singlefinger as always, stop by.

Attached Files:

4. This deserves a BIGGER picture. What a cool idea. Love it! FB_IMG_1582893087917.jpg

Kan Kustom, 47ragtop, 40two and 9 others like this.
  5. Dogpatchcustoms

Dogpatchcustoms

Thank you

6. williebill

williebill

Thanks for the pics and stories ! Love the "model", Dogpatch ! That actually did make me laugh out loud when I saw it. Fantastic !

Dogpatchcustoms and Deuces like this.
  7. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't sniff the glue and ruin it for the rest of us... Missed ya around but awesome display.

8. derbydad276

derbydad276

Several Millennial's asked me what the deal was about sniffing Glue... to which I replied .... just have a Tide Pod and move along ...

9. A few that I admired...... 20200229_094823.jpg 20200229_094853.jpg 20200229_094836.jpg

Stogy, 47ragtop, 40two and 9 others like this.
  10. topher5150

topher5150

Is that the new Model T kit from Speedway?

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Don, good call, I like the color too!
    Did you notice the builders' name on the show board?
    Bob Bauder, one reason to like it without even looking at it but definitively is a looker!

12. ........Bob Bauder was given credit for the build. A Bill Whetstone apparently now owns it there in Michigan. God I love that car.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Saw that too, but I imagine there are a lot of "Bauder Cars" in new hands.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. ............Yep, he's a legend.

15. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Just a comment on the 'Most Significant Hot Rods of the 20th Century.'

I was there on Friday before the show opened to the general public with a group of high school students. That display wasn't getting a lot of attention. I figured that was because the kids are way to young to remember any of these cars.
    But what I found disturbing was that even when the graybeards showed up, it was still pretty much ignored.
    Since lothiandon1940 showed the McGee roadster, I'll only post the others.

IMG_3081.JPG IMG_3083.JPG IMG_3095.JPG IMG_3099.JPG
    If you can't name these, turn in your HAMB card.
    I feel better now!

16. I get it. It is a generational thing.:)..........Don.

17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I thought that was the best display there, upstairs or down. Very, very cool!

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Agreed. I didn't see any one looking at this display, either Friday or Saturday, at any time of the day.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. .........It would have been nice if it had been placed upstairs where the Uncertain "T" tribute car was located.

20. jim snow

jim snow

That may be true at this event. That’s unfortunate. I would have spent an hour just staring at them. Snowman

21. .....So true. I guess the younger generation didn't understand the significance of these cars and the older folks may have dismissed them as "Seen that, done that". For me the McGee Roadster was just such a special car that influenced so many '32 HiBoy Roadsters that followed. I love it. I could stare at it all day long.......Don.

Stogy, lothianwilly71, i.rant and 4 others like this.
  22. .......Same here, Jim.

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Bruce
    I can never see enough shots of the McGee roadster, at one time I wanted to extend the trunklid on my roadster like the McGee car, decided it was too much work.
    My only complaint is, because it is a fairly fresh restoration, the car is, how do I say it.........
    "too nice, too perfect", I like to imagine the iconic cars as a little "rough around the edges".

24. Of all the pics I have taken and seen if autorama, this is the only pic I have seen that I am actually in...lol
    That black 46 car is owned by Billy Meekins (we couldn't get his new 32 sedan done in time... see the fixing a big mess thread on here) that is the builder Clark sitting on the left and me in the background.
    I spent a lot if time at the significant hot rods display... so nice to see those cars I grew up reading about all in one place.
    One of my favorite cars upstairs was the Nash Rambler wagon that the guy turned into a mini nomad... so much fab and custom touches...here are the pics... mods delete pics as you deem necessary... :(
    I talked to the guy that built it... he basically found a 4 door that was getting scrapped and cut the quarters, dash ,etc off of it and reworked them all to fit in that rambler body... 20200229_081628.jpg 20200229_083906.jpg 20200229_081445.jpg

40two, alfin32, i.rant and 6 others like this.
  25. Was my first Detroit AR at 72 yrs old.
    Felt like I was in the presence greatness
    The "Most Significant" on the white carpet...Awesome!!
    The Basement felt like home
    The Great 8s.... awesome workmanship/engineering, but a bit over the top for me
    My2c