Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Detailed 29 roadster body pics for reference

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nicholas D. Miller, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Nicholas D. Miller

Nicholas D. Miller

Does anyone have any detailed 28-29 model a roadster body pics? I’m piecing one together and I can’t really find any good reference pictures of rivet placement or things like that. I’m hoping someone will have so good pictures of the cowl assembly as well as floors, quarter braces and rumble floor, and braces.

I bought this car in a million pieces, and am wanting to try and make it somewhat right and not just weld everything up.

thanks in advance
    -Nick

Attached Files:

adam401, treb11 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That had to be quite the experience towing it home behind a motorcycle!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Nicholas D. Miller

Nicholas D. Miller

Harleys are basically tractors anyway hahahh.

Joel W likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. It's like a puzzle... Henry made the bodies joining the parts with rivets...
    If you are lucky and that bodywork was disassembled by removing the rivets you can easily reassemble it.
    I'm suspect the subriel are riveted first in the process and then the cowl, quarter panels...

Enviado desde mi Mi A1 mediante Tapatalk

Nicholas D. Miller likes this.
  6. Nicholas D. Miller likes this.
  7. 28fordroadster

28fordroadster

I'll take some today. I am currently piecing together a 29 roadster pick up. I have the subrail extensions from my 28 roadster and a pair of brookville subrails that I will be drilling the holes into. The 28 extensions fit the 29 cowl perfectly. If you carefully remove the old rivets you can peice it all back together. I am useing an original pair of body blocks at the cowl and using the cowl mount bracket to line everything up. The RPU and roadster are identical from the back of the truck body forward. I could use my roadster for info but I have not had to so far

Nicholas D. Miller likes this.
  8. Nicholas D. Miller

Nicholas D. Miller

A lot of its brookville so the holes for the rivets aren’t there. The cowl and gas tank are orginal, the rear of the subframe and body are pretty much all brookville

9. Nicholas D. Miller

Nicholas D. Miller

adam401 likes this.
  10. Nicholas D. Miller

Nicholas D. Miller

Made a little progress. The cowl pieces are in. Used some screws for a few spots, I’ll take the screws out and weld the rivets in since I can’t actually smash the rivet. I hung the doors. Driver side is terrible passenger side isn’t too bad... my plan is to basically work front to back on the car. If that’s a bad strategy by all means chime in. I’m 100% winging it.

11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

The shimming of the cowl's body mounting blocks will adjust the doors...

12. 28fordroadster

28fordroadster

AF55D3AA-3236-4412-BCDC-F987C57BB990.jpeg 28F6CBCB-E55E-40D9-9CED-C5EF43BB489B.jpeg

Attached Files:

adam401 likes this.
  13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I weld a finish nail to the outer edge of a flat washer...
    Using the nail to steer the washer...
    a thin flat washer under the rear cowl mounting bolt lifts the rear of the door 1/4" or so...
    Slide 6" long bolts down through all the mounting holes, this keeps all the bolts and blocks in alignment while you lift them to add shims...
    shim under the blocks as they are wood screwed to the subrail...

303racer likes this.