Register now to get rid of these ads!

Desperation Call: Info on Costa & Stewart AA/GS Willys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jangleguy, Sep 19, 2011.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

Hey guys - I was just assigned this story and my deadline is this Friday! I'm looking for info on Carl Costa and Pat Stewart. I know Stewart died, but don't know when. Costa seems to have vanished - maybe abducted by space aliens... Been researching and coming up empty.

I'd also be interested to read your recollections of watching this car run at Fremont. It may have made some laps at Baylands after Fremont closed. Any insight would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance,
    Scotty

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Scotty, You should p.m. Tom Willford (Vintagegasser on here), he is a wealth of info on gassers,especially Willys. He owned and drove the "Ron Bizio" truck for years. Quite a historian and good guy.

3. "security token" means that your pics are too big. re-size them and you should be fine.

4. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks guys. I appreciate the guidance! Marty, you never cease to amaze me...

5. Here is a pic I took at Fremont. Pretty sure it ran a Chevy. Had lettering on the quarter panels. Sorry, no other info for you, I do have another pic somewhere that I took of it pulling a wheelie.

[​IMG]

6. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks Kev! I've seen that shot before, but without the lettering, I didn't make the connection to Costa & Stewart. I'd be interested to see the wheelie shot.

It was a Hemi car, until it ran at Fremont's last race, where it ran a carbed SBC. Long story, which you'll have to read about in a couple months. But I sure could use info on these guys... I know there must be someone out there who knew them personally...

7. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Check with Brendan Murry (racecarparts.com), he told me some history of the car and may know something. I'm guessing your working with the current owner. Rocky

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  8. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks Rocky! Yes, I'm working with Joe on this. I know he had the car at your event this year. But I'm after info on Stewart&Costa and the car's accomplishments while they had it.
    I'll call Brendan in the morning, but you may want to go back and edit his number from your post...
    Thanks again, man!

9. jangleguy

jangleguy

Okay, just found a little thumbnail of the car (at Eagle Field, I believe) and added it to the opening post. I hope this triggers someone's memory.

Off to bed now. Will be back in the morning. Thanks guys...

10. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

11. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks Rocky. Saw that shot on your site. Can you please put me in touch with the photographer, so I can get permission to use it? Maybe best to PM me.
    Thanks again,
    Scotty

12. jangleguy

jangleguy

Oosp! Nevermind - just found him in my notes. I'll call Neglected Steel today.

13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

This is the one Joe owns now, is that correct? Robbie said something about a photoshoot? Can't wait to see it, I've not seen this car in person.

14. jangleguy

jangleguy

Yeah, Joe's now. Wes Allison is shooting it today. Could use more historical shots though...

15. jangleguy

jangleguy

16. jangleguy

jangleguy

Well, thanks to all who pitched in with leads, info and pix here. It's much appreciated.

We have a good looking document of this car now. I hope I got the convoluted history straight, but I'm sure there's plenty of knowledgable readers out there who'll be happy to correct me, AFTER the story hits the stands! Look for the January issue of Hot Rod Deluxe, on sale in November.

I apologize for not participating more on the HAMB these days, but I'm grateful to be so busy writing. Anyway, you guys are the greatest car club on earth! Thanks again.
    Scotty

17. I attended all of the NDRA meets at Fremont in the 80's. It seems that car was always there and I don't remember it running a Hemi or having any lettering on the doors then, it always ran a hood and there was nothing poking out. I remember it for the unpolished Halibrands, most people running Halibrands then were polishing them unlike today.

[​IMG]

18. I am pretty sure Baylands was the track in Fremont (same place).

19. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks Rick - I knew that. Thanks to you guys, I made my deadline (midnight last night).

Kiwi Kev - Please PM me, if you have those pix in high res, okay?

Surprised that more Fremont railbirds didn't respond to this, but it worked out okay.

See you guys at the track!

Scotty

20. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Recently found these on the web. Awesome old car. Glad to see these guys put the lettering back on the doors, and put the blown hemi back in it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. WCD

WCD

You have to get the jackson Bros gasser CD. Several shots of this car racing at Fremont.

22. HzEmall

HzEmall
    BANNED
    from Sumas, WA

Does anyone have a copy or scan of the article done on this car in Hot Rod Deluxe?

Thanks

23. Hey Gang:
    Does anybody know if the "new" blown Hemi in the car was actually the original engine - or just something built to mimic the past? Also, I heard that it has a torqueflight tranny - which seems a bit strange to me (for when it ran). I can easily imagine some sort of hydro setup - or a clutch flight? Anybody have any details on it's recent transformation back to running a '92 with all the gear?

B&S