Register now to get rid of these ads!

Desoto Hemi speed stuff

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yule16met, Oct 12, 2009.

1. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

I wanna see ANY and ALL Speed parts for low deck hemi's. Pictures please! I have Hours and Hours to kill in the machine shop and casting lab at the UW. I'm a lab tech and all I do is sit around and make sure people dont kill themselves. I thought the job would be good for getting homework done, but I dont have that much homework!

So show me what cool stuff I should make! has anyone made any cool valve covers for these hemi's? those should be simple simon to make.

I can even use a rapid prototype machine to duplicate parts and then "vaporize" cast them.

Intakes
    valley cover
    valve covers
    sbc water pump adaptor
    chevy tranny adaptor

2. <TABLE class=tborder id=post4086670 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid" align=right></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid" width=175>345 DeSoto<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4086670", true); </SCRIPT>

[​IMG]

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_4086670 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: HEMI Tech- Blowers, Superchargers, fuel injection
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->RAT - The reason I went to this intake set up was because the availability of DeSoto blower intakes is nil. If you DO find a cast one, you'll have to pay stupid money for it. I don't especially like the look of the U-Weld-It ones, I'm not about to pay to have one made, and I can't weld one up myself...thus what I did.
    Back in the 60's/70's you could buy a generic aluminum blower intake mount, and have it welded to an after marked aluminum 2x4 intake...that's saying you could find an aluminum 2x4 intake for your particular engine. Back to square one...no such thing for our DeSoto's. As I remembered it, back then, guys were taking an aluminum plate, boring the carburetor and stud holes in it, and welding the plate to the blower mount. This way, you didn't need to spring for the cost of a 2x4 intake. That's what I did.
    I originally was going to use my 291 4bl intake, but a guy wanted to trade me an aluminum Edmonds 2x2 intake for it, so that's what I used. Saved a bunch of weight, and the fuel distribution is better...plus the blower mount sits lower than it would have on the iron 4bl intake, but I could have milled the carb mounting pad lower.
    The blower base I bought on ebay (from Dyers). I used a 3/4" 6010 aluminum plate for the base. The only thing I did to the intake was to have the carb mounting pads milled flat and parallel to the crank center line. I had to also change the angle of the radiator hose inlet on the thermostat housing, to clear the drive pulley and point straight out. I used 1/2" 6010 aluminum plate for the carb mounts in the top, so that I could space the 2 Carter Competition series 500 CFM's to use an Edelbrock 2x4 Air Cleaner...besides, it cost WAY less than buying a ready made one. The base plate is fitted to the inside of the blower mount. Hope this helped...
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

</FIELDSET>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

3. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

I kinda knew this would show up! I have considered the blower manifold too! I am going to start building a foam manifold to test out the prosses.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you take a glance at the Hemi Tech section? If not, the link is in my signature line. Click on the banner.

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

So with that fabricated manifold you're going to force all of that boost from a 6-71 into a big plenum, through a couple of two barrel openings, back into another plenum, then into the engine?

6. KEVIN LEE - You betcha...it works just fine...

7. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Im glad you didnt cut up that manifold. there pretty rare. Im really looking for the finned goodies and water pump adaptor!

8. MilesM

MilesM

I have an Offy four barrel I need to take a pic of.

SPAM Don't have a Desoto Hemi so it is for sale when I get some pics!