Register now to get rid of these ads!

DeSoto Cam And Roller Lifter UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345 DeSoto, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Really good info here. I read all 120 posts and I don't think this was answered. I have a 330 Desoto with a fresh re-grind for hydraulic flat tappet lifters. Now that these lower cost rollers are easy to get, can I run these rollers instead of the flat tappets on this cam? It would save the 2500 rpm break-in drill.

2. panic

panic

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

PANIC must be Irish! You ask him a SIMPLE question & he just talks & talks! LOL

4. I'm Irish. So talk to me! The rollers need a billet cam? Is this a metal type problem? Will rollers wear out cast cams?

5. ward3162

ward3162

OK ....I think I know this one. The rollers are steel and cam is cast . Not a good combination as the harder steel component will over time wear on the softer cast conponent. Roller cam shafts are steel thus being compatable with the steel rollers.

6. 73RR

73RR

No, the roller lifter requires a completely different lobe design. There is zero compatibility.

7. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Ha ha guys She wants to know is that “MAMMA” as in “throw momma from the train” or “big momma’s house” either way got me smiling:D
    Rat now has his manifold and hopefully he is a happy camper.
    I have been totally distracted over the past few months started with moving house but ended with some health issues ( will not go into that here)
    Keen to get one of these cams and a set of roller lifters. Can anyone provide me with some specs on the cams are they readily avalible?
    Cheers
    Peter

Hey Ward...I know, Ive emailed Pete heaps of times but no dice as hes been busy moving house.

Its a very very nice intake/casting which is why I want one.

Last i heard he was back into it having set up his new shop but i still cant get any answer from him as to the timing of a blower intake (and I NEED one)

Pete if you see this thread, let us know what youre up to champ !!

Rat[/QUOTE]

8. George

George

[/QUOTE]DeSoto cams tend to not be redily available, but, someone posted here in the regular forum & @ Hot Heads that they had some DeSoto blanks for sale.

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Wow, what a great thread. Cam/lifter combo has been a lingering issue in my mind, planning for a 33/341 build (WHEN I finally get lucky enough to locate a rebuildable and the dough). I've re-read this whole thing again, and YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! You really talked this through AND (as usual) were patient with Qs from those of us way less knowledgable about the internal details of the early Hemis. Since I hope for reasonable hp/torque BUT a long-lived build, you have convinced me that a modern lifter & cam combo are the best for me. For my part, I want to THANK everybody for their time and trouble. THIS is why the HAMB is the bomb! Straight answers, honest debate, alternatives discussed, comparative advantages/disadvantages, suppliers and product quality, etc. Salute!

Sep. matter: Rat, where did the intake finally turn up??? Glad you found one, man!

10. are these the steel billets that he's been able to do for any engine and they have a bronze gear that wont last very long ? i guess he can install a cast gear from your old cam and then its something for the street that will last. did he give a price for what a solid roller is ?

11. 73RR

73RR

Time to get this back in the lime lite...FSI, did you resolve you questions about gear material?

Tony, Rat, Ward, Budd, how about some updates?

For any one interested, I have several sets of Mopar oem, used rollers, links and spyders for sale. Send a PM....

12. 73RR - I copied this from another Post on the HAMB...

<TABLE class=tborder id=post4562607 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid" width=175>Ron In the SHOP<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4562607", true); </SCRIPT>
    FNG

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_4562607 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: New cam for desoto hemis
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->YES,
    WE HAVE THEM.

The same as what we have been making with new updates for the last 40 years.

DODGE
    DESOTO
    CHRYSLER

long nose or short nose.

cast iron core or steel core

street or race
    nitro or gasoline...

we make them all

just give us a call

with a new name

same 'ol DONNIE Johansen

and a little bit of mee too

CONTRERAS CAMSHAFTS....
    SHOP phone...909-597-5950
    Chino, California.
    <!-- / message -->
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- / close content container --><!-- / post #4563697 --><!-- post #4564670 --><!-- open content container -->
    <!-- this is not the last post shown on the page --><TABLE class=tborder id=post4564670 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- status icon and date -->[​IMG] 11-16-2009, 12:23 AM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid" align=right>#8 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid" width=175>Ron In the SHOP<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4564670", true); </SCRIPT>

FNG​

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_4564670 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: New cam for desoto hemis

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->and for those that wonder,​

we can put a cast drive gear on a steel core.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

13. DOGPATCH

Flat tappet cams have the lobes cut on a slight angle to rotate the lifters. Roller cam lobes are ground flat so that the lifters don't try to rotate...

14. rweekes

rweekes

So here it is November 2010, does this firm still offer steel Hydraulic roller camshafts for low deck desotos? I am in the process of researching parts for a 276. I have no experience with reground cams, and would very much like to switch to rollers.
    I tried calling the number listed for Contreras Cams today but no answer, of course, because its a holiday. I was hoping I would catch an recorded number though.

15. still should be a good number...

16. budd

budd

hows your car running now 345 Desoto?

17. Like a fine watch...:D

18. kirkcarleton

kirkcarleton

I am lookinng for a roller cam for a 354 and have found alot of great information on this site, but have had very little luck finding information on the internet for either CONTRERAS CAMSHAFTS or CHET HERBERT CAMS. Can anyone tell me if either of the companies are still on business and some current contact information?
    Thanks for the help

19. 73RR

73RR

First off, you will likely get your balls whacked for not doing an intro. Please read the rules.

As for the cams, did you try the phone number in post #132?

20. kirkcarleton

kirkcarleton

73RR sorry for the mistake guess I went through the rules too quickly. I have tried the Chino number (909-597-5950) and there was no answer, but it is Easter. I did also find on internet search an Anaheim phone number for Contreras Cams (714-533-6033) and did get an answering machine with greeting for Contreras. I will confirm that they have moved when normal busness hours resume and update this thread with address and number.

21. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

The cam company is still near/at Herbert's place, but Nachi commutes from the San Francisco area weekly. Don't think he's planning on moving the company.

22. martyk98

martyk98
    from washington

I've seen a lot of print about roller lifters and retro roller lifters. None of the verbage I see comes right out and explains it. If I get retro roller lifters for my big block rebuild, do I have to get a roller cam?

23. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Yes, roller lifters are designed and meant to be used on a roller cam.

24. There are drastic differances in ramp design between a flat lifter and roller lifter lobes.

25. 73RR

73RR

...completely different lobe design...

26. kirkcarleton

kirkcarleton

Have really gained alot of great information and done alot of reading, but if I've missed something please let me know. thanks for all the help.
    Starting at post 102 inn this thread back in 2009 a few members had purchased or were going to purchase maxspeedingrods brand hyd. roller lifters for Chrysler LA (273-360). The link to the Bay is still good, the price is still good, but my aquestion is has anyone that has used these lifters have anything good or bad to say about them?
    Thanks

38 mopar_fan likes this.
  27. DO NOT buy those Max Speeding Rods lifters!!!!!!!!!!!!! A week after I installed them in my engine, they disintigrated!!! I wound up buying the Lunati version of the same lifters, and they're bulletproof...

28. kirkcarleton

kirkcarleton

345 Desoto thanks for the reply the Luniti are about the same price as Howard lifters from Summit. if you had to do it again which way would you go? Thanks for all your great input into this forum

29. Having had no experience with the Howards lifters, I'd go with the Lunati's...273/360 Retro Rollers...

30. kirkcarleton

kirkcarleton

345 DeSoto Does this cam have the cast drive gear that Ron in the Shop speaks of in post 132 so you can run a cast distributer gear or are you running a brass gear?
    Thanks Kirk