Register now to get rid of these ads!

Depressing Realities

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Four Banger, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Four Banger

Four Banger

I'm not trying to start another anti NHRA rant, but I do feel the need to ask "Where will this all end"? I have had two unsavory experiences recently with the NHRA mentality, and the second one will be my very last.
    Late last season, I decided it would be a great idea to take a bunch of parts I had laying around, and built a bracket racer. The basis for this project was a 63 Austin Healy Sprite, fitted with the Toyota engine from my old Pro Four circle track car. I figured this combination would be good for about a 14 second e.t, certainly not a screamer, but fun to drive, and something to do with all the stuff I had laying around.
    Problem 1. NHRA rules specify a 90 inch minimum wheelbase unless a stock engine is being used....the sprite is 80. I asked the tech inspectors to define "stock engine" for me. I was told this would be the standard engine for this car, but it could be modified. I asked the reason for this rule, and was told it was a safety concern. The short wheelbase was unstable at speed, but the stock engines in these small cars would keep them slow enough to be safe. I explained that I could modify the stock Austin engine to run as fast or faster than the Toyota I was useing, only it would cost ten times as much. I only got a shrug, and the wisdom "The rules are the rules". Okay, then.
    Plan B. Can I stretch the wheelbase? "Sure, you can do that", he replied. "However, you then fall into the Altered Class category". "The car will need to meet the frame and cage requirements for that class." So, let me see if I get this right....I have to build this old Sprite to 9.99 NHRA chassis certification specs, to run 14 seconds??? The response was "That's what the rules specify". Okay....I know when I'm defeated. Scratch the whole idea.
    Plan C. I'll just build a HAMB style dragster, and bracket race the damn thing untill we can all meet somewhere to run heads up. I'm very excited all over again. I already have a bunch of parts, and access to most of the other stuff I'll need, so I start dragging stuff home. I'm stoked. However, I am also wary of NHRA tech at this point, so I decide I better walk them through this step by step, to make sure I won't get a nasty suprise later. Good thing I did.... The tech director tells me first off that my Model A frame won't cut it. I calmly point out that it seems to be fine in the blown Model A that just went down the track. Yeah, the 2500 pound one with 600 horsepower that just ran a ten flat at 137 mph. Surely my 1400 pound rail with 200 screaming horsepower of Ford six should be safe enough??? Nope. the guy tells me that looking at my drawings, my car is technicaly an Altered. The NHRA rulebook has drawings of what my chassis must look like, and oddly enough it doesn't show any stock frame rails. He says I'm good if I use tubing for the main rails. I point out that several of these cars have already cleared NHRA tech at other tracks with stock rails. The guy says "Those tech inspectors have cleared these cars at their own peril", and "It won't fly here". Okay then... I called the owner of the local drag strip and asked him if he ran any non NHRA sanctioned events. He said they did not...all events came under the direction and rules of the NHRA. You can't fight city hall.....
    Now, I realize it won't kill me, or break the bank, to go get some tubing for the main rails. However, I have to ask "What next"? Will the infinitly wise NHRA change things again at a later date? I'm getting the feeling that the answer is probably so. This is NOT the path I want to go down, at this point in my life.
    About 100 miles from here is an outlaw strip, that runs eigth mile. They had contemplated going NHRA, but have wisely decided to stay away from that idea. However, their future is uncertain, and I don't like the idea of building a dedicated race car to haul 100 miles and race eighth mile, only to find out the place goes away. For the forseeable future, I accept defeat. I have heard similar stories in the past couple years, and now I understand completey.

2. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Sounds familiar to what I went thru with the local NHRA guys this time last year. No logic at all, just "rules are rules". I even suggested the HA/GR cars be allowed to run 1/8 mile..."no can do, rules are rules".

However, at the nostagia drags last fall we ran exhibition with other HA/GR cars at the same track. We also ran the full 1/4 mile at 120+ MPH. I'm sure there's some NHRA logic to this that I'm missing.

Ron

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

They are just trying to love up to their name.......N(o)H(ot)R(ods)A(llowed).

They don't give a rat's ass about the little guys, just want the big buck, sponsored racers so they can put on a TV show for the unwashed masses who don't give a rat's ass either.

Logic has nothing to do with the tech inspection guidelines. By the book, a convertible can run quicker than some of our cars as long as the top is up, but we need the same cage as a funny car or altered.......makes as much sense putting wings on a pig and calling it a jet.

4. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Sorry to hear it 'Banger, I always hope that the NHRABS is at its worst here and the rest of the world's a bit saner.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009

5. esfoder

esfoder
    from Oregon

Well shit !!! I guess I should get to doing some probing around at the track myself before I get all crossed up and can't even run the thing. Too bad banger maybe the situation will change?

6. i've said it before and i'll say it again.

BEAT THEM AT THEIR OWN GAME!

when you build a soild mount rear end car and put the driver straddling the transmission you become a victim of the rulebook. when you use springs on BOTH ends and set the driver off to one side it changes EVERYTHING.

almost everyone here is trying to build a dragster without building a dragster. why not build something that fits the rules without breaking the rules.

think about it....if you build it RIGHT, what makes an HA/GR any different than a t-bucket or lakes modified? build something that COULD be driven on the street. different set of rules.

7. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Been there, done that...got the same result....like they were reading from a script.

Ideas on Jackets and tee shiirts for our club????????????????????

8. Four Banger

Four Banger

Can someone help me out here? I don't have an 09 rule book, and I seem to have misplaced my 08 copy. Can anyone find ANYWHERE in that thing where it defines "Dedicated Race Car"? My fellow club members called me today and swore a blood oath that we are going to ram my HAMB rail right down their throats, Model A rails and all. Do I have cool friends, or what?

9. the difference is a license plate.

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

We were advised that the solid rear end was the primary point, in that it made it "unstreetable". :D
    In other words we couldn't find it either, but then we only had the '07 book.

Obviously that tech'd never putted a rigid ....... :rolleyes:

11. bobw

bobw

Four Banger, my rulebook indicates that the "bottom tube" from the firewall rearward for a 10:00 or slower Altered chassis must be 1 1/4" dia., .118" wall in mild steel. Since a boxed Model A frame is substantially heavier than that, it really ought to be accepted. Lots of altereds have 1 1/2" by 3" or 2" by 4" rectangular tubing for the "bottom rail" which is comparable to a Model A frame and again, much beyond the specified bottom tube.
    Having stuffed a 90" wheelbase Thames into the guardrail back in the 60's, I can understand why NHRA doesn't want wheelbases that are even shorter. Many a fast Anglia in the early days ended its racing career bent and broken.:eek:

12. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

As an old tool maker that I used to work with would say......."Illegitimi non Carborundum."

Don't let the bastards grind you down.:D

If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS.

13. '32 Bantam

'32 Bantam

Alot of the time when they say "Rule are Rules" is because of insurance. The tracks ins requires them to meet NHRA's rules no matter how crazy they are. My altered runs 6.30's in the 1/8. I have to wear the SFI /5 jacket and pants but my gloves can just be a /1. To top it off, I don't have to weat sfi rated shoes since the bantam has a firewall. I wear them anyway. I could wear converse high tops if I wanted.