Register now to get rid of these ads!

Denise needs a ring and pinion in Dayton, Ohio!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGirlRox, Nov 22, 2008.

1. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Just got word from Denise, Hotrodladycrusr, she is broke down in Dayton. en route to the Turkey Run in Daytona Beach, FL. The guys down there are taking care of her but she needs a ring and pinion gear for an 8.2 GM. I'm not sure of the specifics of the situation, but it sounds like her rear end in Big Olds gernaded! :( If you or someone you know in that area might have that ring gear and pinion to help her out, please give her a call on her cell at 734.673.6930. Like I said, I am not there so I don't know the specifics and she is internet less right now in the shop with Big Olds so if you can help best way to get her is on her cell. Thanks guys!

2. titus

titus

maybe its time for a new rear end, that damn thing sure has given her hell. stick a 8 otr 9" ford in it.

good luck

jeff

3. Good Luck Denise! I'm sure the southern Ohio Hambers will be at your side soon..
    And by the way Dayton is not a direct route from Mich to Fla! Hope they get you fixed up real soon!

4. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

was she winning !

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If anyone could wear one out, it's Denise...More miles in a summer than some cars get thier whole lives.

Sorry to hear you are stuck, and hope you get back on the road soon. I am 30 minutes from 1-26 and 95 if you need anything on the way to Daytona.

Good luck, -Abone.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  6. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

What is the hub to hub on her current axle? I'll be junkyarding soon and will look for a 9 inch for her. That rear in Big Olds is a problem child.

7. Btt, Hope the Ohio guys are stepping up to the plate.

8. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Just talked to Denise.They are having no luck on parts today.They are going to wait until monday and replace with new parts.The rearend is out of a 1970 Pontiac which makes it hard to get parts for.

9. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I'm with Titus on this one. That rear needs to go.

10. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Yes, to the "Titus" comment..........but, back up to the top.

11. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

i'm think she needs a new rear end, time to ditch that gm axle.

12. Well, I'm only about three days away... :)

Good luck D.

13. AHotRod

AHotRod

I just got off the phone with Denise, and she is so bummed.
    She was coming all the way to the West-Coast of Florida to party and stay with Jennifer and I and all of the "Poor Boys".

All that matters is that she and Big-Olds are O.K.

I know that our fellow HAMB'rs will take care of her and the car.

We will miss you at our party Monday night :mad: !

With all our Love,
    The Florida "Poor Boys"

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At this point it would probably be easier to find a different rear end and swap it than to fix that one. As mentioned above she has had a load of problems with that rear end in the past year.

15. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

As of now she's riding shotgun with Spoons to Findley, OH where her dad is gonna pick her up. She'll be back down to Dayton next week to pick up Big Olds.

Jim

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That should mean that she is going to load it on a trailer and haul it home so it can be fixed right. Too much bad luck with that rear end for the lady for sure.

17. BinderRod

BinderRod

I think Jerry screwed it up at Rynos shop. Just kidding and good luck

18. phat rat

phat rat

I think with all the trouble she's had with that rear-end that there's something wrong with it, it's bent or twisted. She hasn't just worn it out, it's been fixed too many times for that to be it. I've got over 72,000 on a Nova 10 bolt behind the 454 and haven't had trouble one and yes it has been raced also.

19. duffman

duffman

I have a 3.23 ring and pinion for an 8.2 pontiac rear, but I'm in MT. these are OEM parts and used tho, probably better to have new parts.

20. Man, that's tough luck. But from what I've read in this thread it sounds like a new rear is in order. Is someone trailering it down to Daytona for her and locating a rear?

21. Ya know...as mentioned by a lot of us, that axle needs to go. Bent, sloppy, wornout, or something.

As much as Denise does for other H.A.M.B.'ers, and as much as she contributes to the H.A.M.B. itself through photojournalism, thread replies, referrals, and plain human kindness...

...it seems like perhaps we could take up a collection to get a GOOD axle, properly built and bracket'ed, to install under Big Olds. It doesn't have to be a Strange center section, Daytona pinion support, 40-spline deal, just a good solid 8" or 9" or 12-bolt axle, with good pieces, and well built.

I'd kick in some $$, and I'm guessin' that a lot of others here would too....

22. Wow, that really sucks. Nobody needs to have that happen especially Denise! :(

Max

23. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Hey, Ryan.

Pin this please!

I have a 59 Ford wagon 9 inch rear, problem is, it is in Georgia......................If all are serious, and this track width will work,this rear end is hers,(did I just say that!)............Somebody figure out how to get it from where it is to where she needs it,.......................Thats right all you Turkey Rod Runners,if you are going south on I-75 through Atlanta, it is 6 miles from the house........ exit 221.

Over and out!

24. Sorry to hear the news. :( She sure has had issues with that darn thing.

25. I have a few ring and pinions out of the 8.2 pontiacs but loike others say, Im way to far away to help. I'd give you one. Those 8,2s are one week rear end. I blew up two doing some burnouts within two years. Switched to an 8.5 and its being abused behind a 4 sp and 400 CID of pure Pontiac. Get rid of that damned 8.2!!!!! If you could find a free ring and pinion closer by it would be worth just shoving it in as long as you didnt hammer on it.

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I just talked with her, seems she has it delt with at this point.
    Maybe it is time for a new complete set up to go under her ride.
    I will keep my ears and eyes open , just need specifics as to what will fit width wise and gear she wants and will get to searching.

27. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Denise has concern about ease of fitment and cost. I hope we can rally behind her regarding cost. What do all you gurus suggest for an easy swap to something healthier? ImHO it seems this particular diff. may be the problem, not the fact that it is a 10 bolt.

28. jerry

jerry

It's a kind of oddball pontiac non-c-clip axle. The brackets on it for the spring mounts are going to have to be reproduced or reenginneered.

It's a real bummer to hear about the troubles. She wanted to keep it because of the connection with the original build by JustSteve. There is alot of sentimental value to her involved.

I can't think of a better cause to support than to get this straightened out for her. Count me in for any help on this one.

jerry

29. Someone find out what width she needs and if she has to stick with a 4 3/4 Bolt pattern. I have some 8" housings, center sections that I'll donate towards getting her up and running for her travels next year. I'm sure with donations and the talent here she could get a bulletproof rearend for lets say....a couple dozen cookies:eek:

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Best wishes, hope she gets the ring & pinion and makes it to Daytona and home again. Every NASCAR Cup car runs a 9 inch Ford rear for a reason.