Register now to get rid of these ads!

Demolition derby toy cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ol'chevy, Aug 12, 2010.

1. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

In the late 70s I coveted a set of toy cars called, I think, Survivors or demolition derby demons. There were about 4, or at least that is how many I remember. I saw them in the K-B Toys store in the mall. Always wanted them, never got them.

Anybody remember them?

Or still have one?

2. I had a set I thought the name had smash in it...crap now I gotta find it..........

3. I had a set like that. Mine had a VW Bug and a chevy truck in it. The front end were rubber and the doors would fly off and you had a strip you pulled through the motor to wind it up, we used to try and pull the strip through a couple times and send them into a wall to see how far the door would fly:D. They got removed permently from us when we did that in a house we were visiting and damaged a fair bit of baseboard.

4. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

That's the Kenner Smash-Up Derby. You can get them on eBay, they go for $125-$200.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Smash bang crackem up put em back again. I remember the song but not the name. I had that also.

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a set of them.......I think! They came with two ramps as well, from memory mine were two 55(ish) Chevs.

Doc.

7. El Gordo

El Gordo

8. RichG

RichG

That's the set I had Doc, I think one car was red and the other blue:D

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I still have the Kenner smash up derby set I got back in the early 70s,my set has a 57 nomad and 57 Ford 2 door.

10. My memory of the smash up derby cars was the SST's(?) that had the plastic T handle with gear cogs on it that you pulled threw the gyro wheel in the middle of the car to get the gyro wheel spinning real fast and propel the car. The neighbor kid had 'em and I wanted a set but never did get them. The SST's had other non derby cars as well. My memory of the derby cars was a '57 2dr ford and a '58 chev station wagon. They had a lever/tongue on the front that when it came in contact with something solid would pop the doors, etc off the cars. I remember if you pulled hell on that t-handle you get the gyro spinning crazy fast enough that if you set the car down and let it go, you wouldn't ever catch it in a foot race.

It's funny, I was just thinking about these for some reason about 3-4 weeks ago for the first time in years.

Scott/Gotta56forme

11. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I also had the smash up derby set, and I also sort of remember that I had a slot car set with a set of what I believe were 40 ford coupe looking cars that you raced on a figure 8 track, and if you crashed at the intersection the fenders would pop off the cars, Ive been going thru all my families old photos in search of it.....Rich

12. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

13. Oh hell yeah, I had those. Well, they were hand-me-downs through three brothers. By the time I got them it was like one door and one hood left. Still, had a blast though. Terrorized the cats.

14. philo426

philo426

Yes the SSP Smash up derby! Mine came with a '57 Chevy Nomad and a '57 Ford Fairlane HT!

15. BISHOP

BISHOP

Only toy I had was a stick and a hoop. But I would have fun running down the hot road barefoot........ laughing and tap tap tapin that hoop with a stick.

16. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

Those ruled! I think I wore mine out. That and my Evil Kneivels. That was pre-video game when kids played with toys......

17. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I had a set that I absolutely loved...
    But unfortunately, my mom hated them. :)

They disappeared from my room one day mysteriously, never to return.

Thanks for the post, over the years I've thought about those damn things and couldn't remember what they were... Now I know.

18. toml24

toml24

In the 1960s I had a figure-8 slot car track with a true intersection. Had blue and red '37 Chevys that had fenders that were designed to come apart when there was a intersection hit. This was a lot of fun. Might have been a Hasbro set(?)
    Then one day I gave it all away, along with my Matchbox and Hot Wheels collection.

19. I have several of the Kenner cars - a VW, '71 Chevy Blazer-ish pickup, and one '57 Nomad. They've been duds at the swaps, maybe I should try eBay.

I vaguely remember the 57 Nomad in a set in the JC Penney Christmas catalog that I wanted at the time, but never got. A blue car and a yellow car.

The slot car set with red and blue '40 Ford coupes is a Gilbert set, I just picked one of those up too.

20. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I forgot about those sst cars. I had a white pickup that flew apart.

The cars I was looking for came in a card/ blister pack like hot wheels. I don't think they were quite as large as the sst. They had funny names, kinda like Wacky Packages.

21. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Rustynewyorker,do you know the name of the set,loved to get another set. Had a bunch of cool stuff like it but mom disposed of it and alot of my favorite things while I'd be at school,.... Thanks Rich

22. I loved mine! $168, I wish I'd kept all my toys, Evel Knevel, esp. Star Wars. I'd be rich! Of course, I'd never be able to part with them now.
    [​IMG]

23. gofaster

gofaster
    from georgia

Man I loved those things! As I remember it, the hardest thing about the SSP derbi kit was getting the two cars to hit each other as they weren't exactly laser guided. That and when you missed you had better be ready to jump out of the way because your opponents car was usually aimed right at your ankle. SSP were cool...

24. Gerrys

Gerrys

Wish I still had mine.
    [​IMG]

25. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I too had the Smash Up Derby set! Loved it!

26. Erwin

Erwin

Aurora marketed a 1/32 scale plastic assembly kit of a '56 Fairlane 2 door that appeared in the midst of its destruction in a derby, but artfully,was still at the point where it was yet easily recognized. The painting used for the box art was no small part of its appeal. Had mine in the bottom of my aquarium at one point to give a little atmosphere in there.

27. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I had some model cars sunken in my aquarium at one point also. Also had a 57 chevy model in the hampster cage.

28. hemi

hemi

I think I had a wind up demo car that would drive around the pieces would pop off. I also remember the Hot Wheels cars that had the rotating body panels that flipped to the crash version when you hit them..

Anybody remember a demolition derby table-top arcade game with '57 Chevys with like 6 steering wheels?? I'd love to have one of those.

29. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I used to love that game in High school. I remember the matchbox cars also.