Register now to get rid of these ads!

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

if you are somewhere nere tarin kowt
    say hi to my buddy from the netherlands

2. philntx

philntx
    from DFW

The track width are the same for same year S10 4x4 and Bravada SUV's

The Frames are completely different for the truck and the SUV.

Steering ratios are different between 2WD and 4WD

V8's fit fine. My S10 Blazer 4x4 has a Magnuson supercharged 6 liter (plenty of power)

Front track on a 2WD S10 Truck is: 54.45" Rear is 54.6
    Front Track on a 4WD S10 Truck is: 57.4 Rear is 57.4
    Front track on a 4WD S10 ZR2 is: 61.14 Rear is 59.0

3. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

THat's good info philntx, thanks for chiming in, and welcome,
    I see you're new here, your 1st post, would be good for you to post 1st in Intro section though..

just a friendly reminder,

4. sweet70beast

sweet70beast
    from Rexburg Id

5. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

only toobad he didnt make a update how its going now...

6. McKee

McKee

Although it was mentioned earlier in this thread,...has anybody actually put a straight 6 into an S10 frame?

7. Monroe

Monroe
    from Denton TX

I was wondering if anyone is using the in tank fuel pump frome the s10 since it is already set up, wiring and fuel lines... Should I use the in tank fuel pump, wiring, and fuel lines or should I run new lines with mechanical fuel pump? I will be running a SBC.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  8. Larry Pullon

Larry Pullon

Forgive me if this is the wrong place - I might be the only one here keeping the s10 body on a s10 frame - only pretty much rearranging everything.

I want to move the motor back the distance to use a Blazer 2dr driveshaft about 14" more or less. I will move the cab back 34" and build a false firewall to hide some of the modern stuff. On the bright side - I have a pair of s10s to fool around with. It looks like moving the engine back is not a big deal but I am kind of concerned that the frame does not look all that beefy 14" back where I plan to move the motor. Would it require a new cross member - the spare one on the other truck?

I do not want to start fitting the body, moving gas tank (blazer tank?) until I get the running gear set up so your positive thoughts would be helpful.

Attached Files:

9. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Larry, we're on thin ice as it is, this is a forum for pre-64 traditional hot rods, stock s10's don't really fit, custom builds might, but not stock s10's, I also noticed that this is your 1st post, pleast follow the rules: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44274
    thanks

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

i tried going thru all of the pages on this post, but did not see info as to how to figure out S10 rearend gear ratio when already out of donor truck and no obvious ID tag-Any ideas on this?? what models would likely have rearend 3:73 gears?

11. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Larry, novadude55 is right your on thin ice...

but suprice us with some pics... :D

12. Larry Pullon

Larry Pullon

Ohhh - I was so happy with all the frame data and positive discussions that I did not notice this was a limited kind of deal. I read the meat - not all the mumbo jumbo intro stuff - but now I see! I am not a new guy - my grandfather owned a big junk yard in the 40's - 60's - momma drove me to first grade in a stripped down T (until she hit a pot hole and rolled it). My intent is to work new iron in the old spirit - to buyild a daily driver - and it is a lot harder with these tissue thin bodies and miles of wires and vacuum tubes than our predecessors faced. My daddy set ford points with the edge of his pocket knife but I need a whole bin of code readers and a technical library .... anyways the "spirit" of the old ways and first hand memories runs deep in me - but I am clearly in the wrong place. Amazingly I got the very same response with my boat designs from the wooden sail boat people when I showed up with a 85hp jet in an English Skiff! So I will move back to the shadows I came from and figure this out on my own and wish you all a good day!:)

13. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

My experience is that 4 bangers have the 3.73,, 6 bangers have 3.41,,
    when all else fails, take off the cover and read the ring gear,,
    they always have the nbrs of teeth on ring and pinion. divide smaller nbr
    into larger, there's yer ratio

14. fatboy666

fatboy666
    from new jersey

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks Novadude55 for info on figuring out gear ratios for S10 rearends

16. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

Great thread and some super info. If i might tell of my experience with the 47-55 Chevy AD trucks.
    Having done it both ways i can tell you that the Dodge Dakota is actually a MUCH better choice under the AD for two reasons:

1) The track width on the S10 is too narrow.
    The Dakota is a near perfect.

2) The S10 steering box and frame horns cause you to have to cut up the core support and run a cross flow radiator.
    The Dakota has rack and pinion steering and lower frame horns making for much less work and allowing you to keep the core support, original style radiator and making for a much cleaner and less "hacked" looking engine compartment.

Something else i noticed is that the truck with the Dakota chassis had a much better ride and handling characteristics. both were SBC equipped and both ran stock suspension components including springs. the Dakota chassis was just better all around. fit, ride, handling and even braking were all noticably better.

just wanted to share my experience.

17. studeboy

studeboy

Good stuff Kustombuilder.

I wish I had thought about the Dakota before starting on the Stude. The track width is to narrow for it too. I figure I can make up some of it with wheel spacers and backspacing though.

Narrow width could be an advantage if laying frame in that the wheels will be less likely to rub the fenders in a full lock turn.

18. Anyone put a 37/38 chevy sedan on an S-10 chassis?

Would like to keep the original frame with Chassis Engineering upgrades but everything I need runs about $3500. Looks like the S-10 is more economical.

Any help is appreciated.

19. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Amen to that,, I just posted some pics after setting a 41 chevy truck on an s10 frame,, over in the 41-46 Chevy Truck pic forum, maybe should've posted them here too,,
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514965&highlight=41&page=3

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

I helped a friend put one on a 57 Chevy car chassis years ago fit really well, with all the low buck upgrades available for them its a viable alternative...

21. edweird

edweird

I just put an s 10 front clip under a 50 ford sedan. For anyone interested, its mates up pretty good and the track width is perfect.

22. edweird

edweird

heres my old 52 that i put on an 85 s10 chassis.

Attached Files:

23. gmelton

gmelton
    from Monroe, LA

One problem that is major on the older cars and trucks (pre 1941) is that the frame is too wide up toward the front door post. Causing you problems for the body to sit down properly. I did the frame change on my 1940 Sedan and wasnt too bad except for the afore mentioned problem. Now i will have to cut the frame in a way that i can narrow it to allow for the body to sit down lower. You have a problem also with the trans cover plate. It will have to be altered cause it sits right on the transmission of an automatic. Had i known all this when i was shortening my frame i would have just straightened it then. http://gemsprojects.shutterfly.com/

Attached Files:

24. gmelton

gmelton
    from Monroe, LA

Thats a radical front end but nice.

25. gmelton

gmelton
    from Monroe, LA

As you can see on the Jute, he had to support the front with a built up piece to hold the body. you can see how the door post also came out to the frame edge, so there is the problem. It wont go down any lower until you cut the curve out of the frame up front. Maybe an other mini truck frame would be better but i cant find any photos of the other trucks. I am told Isuzu has a straighter frame. I dont know that for sure though.
    Now i am going to try the frame change on a '49 Stude PU. I hope things work out better. http://gemsprojects.shutterfly.com/

26. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

for the guys who are thinking about motor mounts here are some drawings..

if someone wants a dxf file just send me a pm.

i also have a other what can be welded...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Someone posted pics of a Ford Courier they did like that last year....the replies were brutal. I don't think he ever came back.

28. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Just finished (well, sort of) my 52 dodge on a 94 S10 chassis. It was fairly easy, had some help from a few buddies. Got this thing completely switched over in less than 2 months, drove it from Indy to Decatur, Ill (and back) for the pileup, with no real problems.

BTW, I'm running a 4.3 with an NV3500 trans. Its fun running through the gears!!

I have pics on another camera, I'll try to post those up later. Just thought you guys would like to see a finished pic.

Thanks again!

[​IMG]

29. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Looks cool, I like how it sits nice and low,
    great job Eagletucky!!
    thanks for the pic..
    exactly the stance I'm lookin to achieve with my 41 Chevy truck,,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.