Register now to get rid of these ads!

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

it's not so difficult to make ..

i'm just loving the idea that people dont pay so much money for a kit but just using the info and drawings what is here on the Thread... and maybe they would be finish for 100$ and not for 1200$ What Ad-engineering asks... :D

now i'm searching for a used ididit steering colum anybody????

2. Abomination

Abomination

EXACTLY!

If the HAMB can make it possible to do a swap for almost nothing, with the free exchange of information on here, then that would be perfect. Thank you for posting the drawings, too, by the way.

~Jason

3. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Are they the same as 2.8V6 mounts? If they are not, let me know. I have a set off I can give the dimensions for those as well.

4. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Dude please please do!! it wouldbe great... and the dimensions are different... please make a little drawing or a picture... :D

5. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

if you can give the info for this it would be great..

info-mounting.jpg

6. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Will do, theyre at the shop. Ill get some pics and dimensions tonight. May try to make a drawing, but dont get your hopes up. Im not exactly a C.A.D kind of person, my drawings usually consist of an old beer carton and a sharpie! Very crude, very very crude!

7. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

i dont care how the dwaing looks like we wil make it look great justy as long i have the dimensions..

8. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Koolkemp, here's a pic, pm for more info if needed:

[​IMG]

9. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Not really a S10 frame response, been busy getting the body ready for mounting. Cut out old floor, blasted cab, new cab corners, welded up firewall, fabing shelf for new floor, ect, ect. Anyway, here's several new pics:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. theglassman

theglassman

since most of our floors are gone and in need of replacement has anyone thought of swaping inthe firewall and floor from the s-10 cab....

all the brake mounts,cab mounts,wireing and seat mount would be alleady there........

lots of trimming but possibly due able.....

i saw on a ford bourd where a guy did a simular swap with an early 70s f-100 and a newer superduty to use the diesle motor and such........

11. rhondayou

rhondayou

I hope I don't make anybody angry, but I feel a lot needs to be said for the people who make kits. They put a lot of thought, work and hours into what they do. The research and resource they provide is endless.
    If it weren't for them, you would not have near as much information to exploit for your own use without making the multitude of costly mistakes they have already made in producing the kit.
    America was built by inovative people such as these.

Yes, I bought the kit and have completely been discussed by countless people who think kits are not worth the money, yet all ask me for copies of the instructions and photos of the parts I received with the kit. I say no and do it on your own, and hope the mistakes you make along the way don't cost you $1200.00 plus all the your precious time lost making those mistakes.

Sorry. Just my two cents!!!

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I have to agree, especially with the motor mounts. I'd be a little pissed off if I made a product that is fairly priced and find people just copying it. I see no problem with someone looking at it and even fabbing up something similar. But to out and out ask for the dimensions. Wow...

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Anyone have more pics of a 55-59 Chevy 1/2 ton on an S-10 frame?

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

the s10 track is not wide enough. a 55-59 is prime for a camaro clip, Lux's thread will hook you up.....

though if you get something like my International you get to play with wider a-arms and wheel offset. shoulda clipped it....

15. Abomination

Abomination

I agree to a point about copyright/patent infringement, etc, but not so much on things that are in the public domain (ie, things no one has patented). I mean, it's not like we're selling these, or patenting them, or whatever.

It's kind of like being pissed at a middle school industrial arts class. They all make a copy of the instructor's bread box, and they all get the dimensions from him, etc. Yet all the bread boxes are individually hand made, and each is slightly different in their own way. They are made to put on the kitchen counter, for the approval of their friends and family, and for their own, personal enjoyment - well, for about as much as an 11-year-old can get out of a box you put bread in, anyway.

Would you be mad at these kids? I certainly wouldn't.

This stuff is simply a reference for folks that want to do it themselves, similar to the plans from Popular Mechanics. Nobody, certainly not me, is trying to rip anybody off here, or make 100,000 or them and retail 'em out of Wal-Mart. None of us have the cash to do so, and a good many of us fully understand that karma eventually WILL come back and bite us on the ass. We just want to get our ride done so we can drive it. This thread lets a few of us share what we've done, and maybe post a few pics. Fact is, once these parts are on our cars, they'll probably stay there on/under 'em, for the life of the car, hardly ever so much as looked at again because we're having too much fun driving 'em.

Besides, where would rodding be without the exchange of information? Without people sharing with each other, a better mousetrap could never be built... but WITH, who knows? Perhaps someone actually WILL find a better way, using out in-progress pics, and/or drawings.

Besides, there's only so many ways to make a bracket, you know? Of course they might look similar! :)

~Jason

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have heard that the mid 80's Chevy pickup is pretty close to the 55-59 footprint.

17. rhondayou

rhondayou

First, let me say that I enjoy the H.A.M.B. and there are a lot of great shared ideas, but even with Popular Mechanic's you have to purchase the plans and buy your own materials.

Again, I don't mind sharing anything that I created if I so chose. But I do have a problem with making the purchase and many people asking me to send copies of the directions and pictures of the parts I purchased.

It's fine if you don't wish to buy a kit, but don't ask someone who has purchased it to send the directions and photos to them.

I'm telling you the truth, I am new to the H.A.M.B. and have already been asked 6 times for my directions and photos of the kit parts. I have even been told that, "....I purchased the kit and lost the directions. Could you please send them to me".
    Do these people think I was born yesterday?
    Robert Hertz, owner of AD-Engineering would be more than happy to send additional copies of the directions to anyone who purchased the kit from him. He makes it his business to personally get to know everyone who purchases his kit. I know, because him and I been emailing each other almost every week as new friends for over a year now.

In closing, I remember when my oldest son played soccer when he was little. He would bust his hump intercepting the ball from the opposing team, take the ball all the way up the field through many defenders to make a goal, and right when he got near the goal another boy on his team named Frankie; who was well rested because all he did was stand near the opposing goal post, would take the ball from him and kick it in for the point.
    Needless to say, Frankie got all of the credit for scoring while my son lay winded on the ground with no recognition accept from me and my wife.
    Let me tell you.......it hurts!!!

18. Abomination

Abomination

Whoa!

This I did not know - and I do apologize. :(

The approach a bunch of us take is that it's really not THAT hard to make a bracket - and only so many ways it can be done. So they're bound to look the same as his. A direct copy isn't really what we're after, although it'll be damned similar, as there is (once again) only so many ways to accomplish this.

We're not out to rip him off. Or anybody for that matter. If anything, people will see this thread, and some business will head his way - in fact, I even personally invited Bob via email to join in on our discussion (months ago)!

He's still more than welcome. We'd love his input on some stuff, as in if we're messing stuff up or not. Being the guru, he may have some things to say, input to give, etc. Likely people will ask him for info directly then.

As for the people wanting the instructions... not are there only so many ways to make a bracket, but there are also only so many ways to bolt 'em on! LOL! :D

Surely the guy who lost 'em could figure it out. I mean, you did the conversion - it wasn't THAT big of a deal, right?

~Jason

19. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Here is my 2 cents of course you are right... if you want to buy a kit for more then 1200$ they must do that..... and i think that this people have made a difference for us... but if you read this thread from the beginning you would have read we have made drawings from a H.A.M.B member who has made it himself and this is a public forum and therefore i think we are here to help each other and if people want to make there own swap but dont have the money or its just not possible to send the kit to other parts of the world we as car/hotrod lovers must also try to help these guys out...

so therefore if anybody needs information because they are not able to purchase the kit i would keep on giving the info.. and next week i will make a S10/V8 mounting drawing so people have this information too... Because we all love to work on our cars and we are all here for some kind of information

20. Abomination

Abomination

Good point. :)

~Jason

21. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

22. Abomination

Abomination

Yet another good point.

~Jason

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

this is what I'm talking about, this is blatant....:(
    money or not, other part of the world or not.
    Just my opinion. I know the rest of the stuff was from other HAMBers...

24. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

ok you made your point.. im happy not everybody thinks so black and white like you...:):)

25. Abomination

Abomination

Personally, I'd probably not run a SBC. If I did, those referenced motor mounts are commonly available out there, from many sources - and all seem identical... at least to me. In light of that, it seems posting drawings of those would be no different than someone posting drawings of a light bulb or a Bic-style pen - items common and cheap enough that you'd probably go out and buy them anyway.

A few months ago I posted some head diagrams for Big Dad so he could make header flanges for the 318 Poly. Is that any different?

I mean, don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to ruin someone's livelihood, nor am I out to make copies of parts to pirate my ass off.

It just strikes me that the motor mount deal isn't so bad a thing, as there are already several un-patented versions of the same thing floating around out there (as mentioned above). If he made the brackets on his own, or made them based on drawings, either way, he still made them with his own blood, sweat and tears. And as I said before, even if he made these without even seeing another pair before, all on his own, they'd still probably look about the same as those pics - brackets can only be made so many ways.

I don't want to steal anyone's stuff.

I don't want this thread taken down.

I just want to help people. :(

If I'm going about it wrong here, say the word. Thank you in advance for your candor. :)

~Jason

26. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

I read your post then read the whole thread and have to say, there are a lot of very nice "gay" projects shown. Not sure what your definition of gay is, but if it means different than the mainstream, then all the Hambers cars are "gay", I guess, to the mainsteam of car owners. What do you mean when you say "gay"? This ol' timer don't get it I'm afraid. :):confused:

27. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

An S-10 has UGLY floors and firewall. That would not be a worthwhile undertaking in my opinion.

28. this subject seems to really get people wound up! i have read on other truck sites that people that purchased the AD to S-10 mount kit felt like it was misrepresented by using the word "bolt on". if the kit is patented send the people making copy's to jail, if not well...

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

oh fuck it who cares.... copy everyone's shit... full speed ahead...

30. rhondayou

rhondayou

Okay, okay. We've beat this thing to death. All I wanted to say is for everyone to stop asking me for my instructions that show where to install the brackets and bed cross members to the S-10 frame. Stop asking me for detailed photos of the AD-Engineering parts. And certainly stop asking me the mearsurements of my parts.

Let's get back to hambing!!!!!!!

Anyway, we got a lot more stuff done on our '53 GMC.
    Check it out:

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/rhondayou/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.