Register now to get rid of these ads!

DEFINE: Stock Width Axles

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by BRENT in 10-uh-C, Nov 13, 2006.

1. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Exactly "WHAT" is the stock width front axle dimension we are supposed to be shooting for? Is this an O.E. only axle width --or is it whatever we can find. The reason I ask is because I am seeing straight axles anywhere from 44" width to 50" eye-to-eye widths. I realize this is real petty but as I am searching both in OE and aftermarket trying to find something light in weight, it seems there is enuf diffeemces that someone could be shouting FOUL if I do not have written clarification.

Thanks

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i have always read this to be stock width from the same era as the motors... maybe plus 10 years or so for forgiveness sake...

stock meaning, un narrowed, as built by the OEM

like i say, this is my interpretation only...

3. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

I'm running a stock Model A front axle and the rear is one out of a Ford ranger. They are almost the same width.

4. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Thanks for the interpretations!!

:rolleyes: If we were to drop a stock Model A axle, generally the width decreases by an inch or so. I guess that means someone will fail tech huh![​IMG][​IMG]

5. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

I doubt that that you would fail tech for that. I think the rule means not to cut the axle to narrow it. Remember We,the compeditors are the tech at least thats the way it is right now.

6. plan9

plan9

honestly, i hope it stays that way too...
    last thing anyone needs is more rules...

7. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Amen

T

8. danlb63

danlb63

how do you drop a straight axle (Model A) old school like in the forties when the guys did it themselves??

9. bobw

bobw

Check in the "Tech Archives" by using the "Forum Jump" at the bottom of this page.