Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Decent GMC 270 valuation

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 58skuzbukit, Dec 7, 2017.

1. 58skuzbukit

58skuzbukit

I have a GMC 270 with a Muncie 3 speed attached that I pulled out of my 58 GM truck, and I’m having a hard time pricing. The engine runs well, but I had a sbc that I’d thought I’d marry to an automatic.

In your opinion,what are theses worth? Hopefully the pics attached correctly

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

go to your profile, where you edit it, and put in your location.

Just like real estate...location has a lot to do with how much something like that is worth.

Old wolf and Hnstray like this.
  3. The price depends on if I am buying it or selling it. Personally I like the GMC sixes better than the Chevrolet ones. However a 261 Chevy would have more potential buyers and would bring more money. That GMC engine is longer than a chevy 235 or 261 so its not a bolt in fit to replace one. The core buyers don't even want the GMC sixes not even the V6's. I have over a dozen good running 250 chevy engines. In all these years I ve only sold one running 250 six and two rebuildable short blocks. So I just use them myself. I can sell a 350 V8 as fast as I get them. And I have a waiting list of folks who want the big block chevy engines no matter what cond they are in..

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They actually make the best street engine. The 58 head was small port but had the smallest chamber and milling off .075-.100" really helped with compression. The intake ports have enough meat to carefully blend a large port manifold which make wicked velocity when the valve opens. A 58 also has the best street pan and narrow belts also desirable.
    I only use the cranks because the have the 4" stroke and a 6 bolt flange but honestly one not needing anything should be worth 500 but but everyone wants them for free or next to it.
    A dynamite engine for a stock appearing 37 Chev coupe. A 3 single carb manifold and a set of Nicson cast headers and it's a killer....good luck.

5. 58skuzbukit

58skuzbukit

Sorry for the lack of location, I’m in York County in Va. engine runs and trans shifted fine.

As far as bolt up potential, this engine came out of a Chevy chassis, single motor mount on the front, 2 mounts on bell housing. Looks as if it would be a direct fit to any 55-59 Gm truck at least...

Hnstray likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

55-59 Chevy trucks have two mounts in front, not a single mount...it won't directly bolt in, but you can make it fit. Or maybe it's a direct bolt in with the mount setup you have, I don't know if your frame was modified, or what. GMCs used a different front crossmember in the frame.

Thanks for letting us know where you are. Too far away for me to buy it for my school bus.

7. I once installed a GMC engine in a 55 chevy first series. I cut the rivets and changed the front crossmember. and used a GMC radiator that set farther forward. The engine pictured is missing its canister oil filter. Every GMC 6 I ever seen had a filter mounted on the passenger side right at the front of the engine.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

I'd wager that you probably get contacted by someone looking to put a GMC straight six in his rod. If it is still all together where you can hook a battery to it, put a jumper from the battery to the coil and fire it up for someone that would be a plus. You won't get rich but it has to be worth a few bucks.

9. I agree any engine you cant hear run is a Pig in a Poke core.

10. 58skuzbukit

58skuzbukit

It’s still in a run-able state, I just don’t know what to ask for both engine and trans.