Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***December 2017 Banger Meet - Little Saint Nick Banger Powered?***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Nov 30, 2017.

1. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Why not full full pressure..cost ? Are we talking A insert blk or B insert block ?? I ask because oil system in B lends itself much easier to full flow/full filtering setup.
    Anyway, I'd have 'them' install the alum plugs in the block for intake valve push rods, if needed. Is this 101 cyclone a 4 port or 2 port? Can not remember. Talk with Berts about the oil pumps available and get their best, especially if not going full pressure throughout engine. Remember when talking oil filtering, you are getting INSERT engine, not poured Babbitt. Without full filtering/full flow...poured Babbitt is more forgiving of stuff in oil than insert. And, there is bound to be more stuff in partial filtered as to full filtered. Lots of $ tied up , so give it best care. eh !
    Starving the OHV head for oiling should be concern / input for what best oil system to be used. However, I add that back in the day, early OHV heads were , in some cases (chev 4 and riley 4 port) had a large oil soaked felt pad in the valve cover to do that oiling, just saying there are differing ideas to achieve same goal.
    How hard do you intend running it ?

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Its gunna be an A block. Im not sure why not full preasure, mostly cost, but didnt ask if they do it or what it costs. Might have to ask them. Ill also ask about the aluminum plugs, i figured if they machined the hold the right size they would just drop in, but im sure the machinist knows better than me.
    I guess i gotta go full filtered, I cant find many pictures of roofs online to get any ideas. But everyone is filtering their oil these days, I as may as well too. I have time to get some ideas. I plan on useing a touring cam and will drive it spiritedly at times, might take it down the strip every now and then but conservatively.

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

OLD RULE.....CHANGING OIL IS CHEAPER THAN CHANGING MOTORS.

winduptoy, chriseakin and Dannerr like this.
  4. Fast31

Fast31

5. Fast31

Fast31

The amount you can take off is limited by the squish ( head room above the piston). Lower squish is more power. You need some safety through. At Secrets of Speed I read that 0.020” squish is good and save.

The Model A pistons pop-up above the deck 0.03125” if no resurfacing was done in the past 88 years. I have seen pistons twice that amount above the deck. It can also happen that not all 4 pistons pop-up equally. So check every one of them at TDC.

Take the thickness of the head gasket of your choice into account.

A standard head will never become a HC head by skimming.

Dannerr likes this.
  6. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

So I purchased this weiand head a while back and posted about the spark plug holes having some thread serts installed in a couple of the plug holes.That was not done right and I figured out on my own what to use and get them correct.Next question I have is there is no recess for the piston.I haven't had a chance to pull the old head off and measure how far the piston sticks up at tdc but im wondering if I need to machine a recess for this or the thickness of the head gasket will take care of it.I learned posting this stuff on the ford barn comes with mixed results.Plenty of guys with experience but the thread seams to get off track pretty quick.Hope somebody can help here.Thanks
    weiand 2.jpg weiand 1.jpg

7. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Burl,
    You've got options and that's good. Three ways to evaluate you situation, in my experience.
    1. you can machine a piston relief in the head...this lessens CR, as .031 is (stock) piston 'popup' above deck. Less CR would defeat purpose of this heads' creation, IMO.
    2. you can machine piston tops flush and/or few thousands below deck surface. This preserves head CR/integrity. Use a 'used' crushed gasket and trial fit to get idea of what squish is, then adjust to you preference.
    3. use two crushed head gaskets to figure out where you are with clearance/squish and clay to see what new gasket thickness to buy to achieve your goal.
    I've done all three of these options. It's called experimentation to achieve a goal.
    And, #3 use, you can actually run your head/engine while you figure a solution.
    Some people, even here, say that they 'don't understand', this type experimentation, but that's their opinion and you can take that for whatever it is worth to you. Good luck.
    ALWAYS clay, it's cheap and easy way to help make final decisions !
    BTW...was the name machined/removed from your alum weiand ?

Dannerr likes this.
  8. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

The name weiand was removed for some reason who knows.I know its a weiand as we compared to another that was identical to another the seller had.It was identical looking,checked the depth of the combustion chambers and was identical.

Dannerr likes this.
  9. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

HAL single overhead cam

winduptoy likes this.
  10. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Burl,
    You need @ .040" clearance between the piston and head when the piston is on TDC.
    However you accomplish this is up to you. Most head gaskets squish to @ .050" - .055" thick.

I use 1/16" thick solder inserted through the spark plug hole to check the clearance between the head and the piston. But if your pistons stick up more then @ .020" then material will have to be removed from somewhere.

12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Jim,
    I remember the bearing list you mention. I tried looking for it too. Haven't found it yet.

13. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Any ideas what sparkplug to run or start with ?They will all be 14 mm when I finish installing the thread serts.Would like to run ngk
    have had great success running ngk in some of the modified snowmobiles we used to run.

14. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I run a Weiand head and I have found that NGK plugs work the best. They burn cleaner and rev higher.
    I don't know the number off hand, I will have to look through my notes.

burl likes this.
  15. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Another tip:

Clean up those combustion chambers!

Here is mine:

Weiand head 01.JPG

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Weeks46, winduptoy and Dannerr like this.
  16. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

x2

17. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I would contact Charlie Yapp to see if he has any installation instructions if you don't already have some, plus he is always helpful and quick to respond to e-mails. I would install Dan McEachern bronze timing gears for peace of mind. As for the oil, I would install a full flow oil filter. I recently installed a Miller OHV. I modified the Miller side cover using the parts from the full flow oil filter kit from the Model A vendors. I then installed an oil line from the side of the block (oil pump outlet) and ran tubing to the head. I had to install a restrictor to get the correct oil flow. I could get details of the restrictor I used if you want. I have heard of some people using a fitting with a carb jet installed to get the desired oil flow.

I would contact Charlie for advice.

Full flow oil filter kit
    http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A6705F.html

Good luck and let us know how you get on

IMG_0674.jpg IMG_0675.jpg

Dannerr likes this.
  18. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I plan on it.They are pretty rough in the combustion chambers.Some guys have mentioned its not desirable to have a smooth surface,needs to be blasted after smoothing ?

19. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

NGK. BP6HS. I run a Pertronics electronic ignition. I run .030" gap on the street and no more than .032" when at the track. I ran the same plugs with a stock B distributor with the Weiand head, but only ran .025" plug gap.

Sent from my SM-J320P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

In a way...... The whole car belongs to my wife. And yes some here might tell you she is fierce and has a very heavy foot. REALLY

chriseakin and Dannerr like this.
  22. noboD

noboD

Amen! And Merry Christmas to both of you.

23. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Thanks , lucky Mrs and knows how to drive it too ! What make of side=drafts are shown on it ? I'm guessing Riley( 2"), but not sure as I've not seen that particular model ?

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Thank you Doug. Merry Christmas to everyone here.
    Luck has very little with 200 Mile per hour Club. And she did beat the previous record by many many miles per hour. 280.5 MPH vintage motor on Gasoline. It's about proper preparation by the guys that built, prepared, and crewed the car. She did this without ever being in the car before or driving a Landracer before. So lets forget luck. She is a brave and talented driver. We didn't buy the ride it was offered by old friends that have provided their effort toward the one of the youngest and one of oldest members of the "2Club" All the records these guys have established were earned by hard work and the kindness of friends (I do feel lucky to have these guys as friends)

Luck isn't about her car either.... I been looking for and finding cars for almost 60 years

So lets not say luck please...It is about the passion necessary to work really very hard.

Now, having been married for 15 years. I think that we were lucky to find each other in this big world and got together.

It is sad to me to see guys alone and
    without their Wife a events. That is sad that they were not lucky to find a lady that loves all this stuff enough to put her life on the line for her love of this hobby.

OK Sorry for the rant.

The carbs are a pair of original Rileys The DO HAL is an actually early Ford A version/model. It was very badly cracked and now fixed only the valve seats need finishing.

This car is one of some very nice and rare objects I saved for my retirement to finish.
    And now I can't see well enough to read my micrometers. Guys please take CAD and Diabetes seriously.

I'm not complaining or pissing about these events. I had a long run so far and am very happy to be on this side of the dirt

Guys all this stuff is still out there. AND You CAN find it. Just takes really scrafice and hard work.

This car is a collection of real racecar parts found over the years by a talented guy that worked very hard to do this.

Now that he's gone I think of him and his efforts. AND honest THANK everyone here that does the same search everyday ... GOOD HUNTING
    OK I STOOD ON THE SOAPBOX WAY TOO LONG. THANKS FOR PUTTING UP WITH ME.

25. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Bluto : AMEN, BROTHER !!! And THANK YOU FOR PUTTING IT SO SUCCINCTLY!!

26. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I did contact charlie. Hes super busy with getting in his new heads and shipping them so i don't want to bug him right now. I got other stuff to do anyways and need a motor. He did send me the instructions and i've read through them twice. I wasn't sure if the oil is filtered at the valve cover, wouldn't the line coming from the side of the block be unfiltered? But if thats whats good, im good with it. Your set up looks nice. and thats how i would like to run it.

27. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Yeah, the oil from the side of the block would be unfiltered, but given the restriction in the line for oil to the head, I am guessing most of the oil goes through the filter. The unfiltered oil will get filtered on the second time around. :)

Dannerr likes this.
  28. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

29. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Thanks for the information !
    Your explanation is exactly ,or close enough, to what I was thinking when I used the work 'lucky'. Merry Christmas to you both and congratulations on her speed records ! Fifteen years married...newly weds, eh !

30. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

She beat Don Garlits' Record by over 50mph .... and she drove out the backdoor at 287mph on her (back-up run) last lap in the car.

Dannerr likes this.