Register now to get rid of these ads!

Death Wobble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by All American 6, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trollst

trollst

Gawd, good luck, be careful.......

2. All American 6

All American 6
    from Sumter, SC

Drove the car yesterday after all the fixes were done. Only drove in a large parking lot (forgot my tag receipt and insurance card).

Feels solid. Turn radius much tighter. The steering wheel comes back to center by itself after a turn.<O:p

I&#8217;ll need to get it out on the road and hit some pot holes at speed to see if the toe out 1/16&#8221; got rid of the last bit of wobble.
    <O:p

I realize the 100% solution would have been lengthening the 4 bar, changing out the clevis ends, and put on some street width wheels/tires. I think I&#8217;ll be ok with the amount of driving this car will be doing.

The damper discussion alone had value.

More to follow once I get it out on the road at speed over bumps.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  3. All American 6

All American 6
    from Sumter, SC

Little more progess:

Replaced the steering arm with one from Speedway. We're still trial and error in the perfect toe in, camber, caster. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on what is needed.

I'm going to admit I have a damper on order. If it works, we'll weld permanent mounts.:D

While at Goodguys Indy last weekend, I talked with the few cars with a similar set up to mine that I could find (Drop axle, leaf spring behind the axle, tie rod out front, drag link steering). I spoke to The Chemical City Coupe too. He has a drag link steering.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834840

I spoke to the guy in the 5th pic down (lt blue or grey roadster). I told him I had a similar set up with a death wobble. He said "yeah I have a death wobble too".

Some of those "traditional" rods in that Hot Rod of the Year Competition had rack and pinion steerting and electronic fuel injection.

AA6

Attached Files:

4. All American 6

All American 6
    from Sumter, SC

Two of the cars in that competition. Both had Hemis. The black 31 Plymouth came in top 5 I think and the ford did well also.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.