Register now to get rid of these ads!

Day of the Drags, 1/8 mile, or 1/4 mile, WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seatex, Sep 12, 2009.

1. seatex

seatex

OK, Gang, with the Day of the Drags coming up next month at Temple Academy Raceway, there seems to be a little controversy about the safety of some of the faster cars running a full quarter mile on this older (but awesome!) track.
    Now, if you are pushin' to bust a hunnert in your flattie (Casey);), the quarter might be your version of a Land Speed Record, but if your car is pushing 130+ at the traps, the shut down area might prove to be a little on the short side.:eek:
    Barring having EMT's, a proctologist, and an upholsterer on site, should the eighth mile be an option for your 11 second and quicker cars?
    True, I am still searching for an adequately sized pair of Cajones:eek: to race Golfinger, so I fully anticipate takin' some shit on this one.
    Let the comments begin!!!!

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

1/4 mile, but I'm just a spectator.

3. I prefer to error on safety, 1/8 is my vote.

4. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

5. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

1/4 mile. Unless your balls are in your manpurse, then you can prance down the 1/8th mile.

There are plently of MUCH FASTER cars running down that track with no problems.

6. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Now THAT is some funny shit right there!

Seriously though. Day of the drags is a genuine nostalgia event held @ track that is ( to many folks ) a historical venue. Lets honor tradition & keep things 1320.

Of course, The Kontinental Gang knows what they are doing & IF they want our opinion, they will ask for it.

Considering the many changes that track has gone through lately, we may all be @ the mercy of the owner.

See ya'll there.

p.s.....there is a dedicated forum for this stuff on here ya know
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53

7. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

8. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

I'm all for keeping tradition alive, but keeping everyone else alive too. If it's truely a safety concern, I would say 1/8 mile. Otherwise 1/4

9. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

1/4 ONLY.......... 1/8th IS FOR JR. DRAGSTERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Ok. Let me try this again.

#1. 1/4 mile or 1/8th mile? It ain't open for debate.

#2. Safety concern? Thats between the track officials & you. If they let you out there & you don't think you have enough shutdown, then lift.

#3. 1/4 mile or 1/8th mile? It ain't open for debate.

11. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

1/8 .. if shutdown is too short..Does it have a weekly program?? Find out what they run and if they run 1/4, run quarter. Alot of 1/8 mile events (Jegs super quick) do it that way due to large car counts and it gives those smaller tracks an "event" for smaller tracks to make money at..

12. Larry T

Larry T

Does Hutch still run the track? If he does, I'm gonna assume (yea, I know) it usually runs 1/8th mile. As far as 1/8th mile/balls in a purse deal, tell that to the Promod guys.
    Larry T

13. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Like Jeremy said.

"There are plently of MUCH FASTER cars running down that track with no problems."

The Thunderbeast comp roadster runs mid 9's at this event & doesn't even air out his laundry.

If ya don't think your antique can slow in time then go easy....or don't go.

Use your head people.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  14. seatex

seatex

Gee don't get your laundry in a wad, just polling the audience, that's all..................:rolleyes:

15. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

What "controversy"? We've been running 1/4 out there for years at DOTD and Hill Country Show and Shine. DW's run 11.04 @ mid 120's and gets it slowed just fine.

Why "poll the audience" anyhow. If you don't feel your car is safe at that track, then you need to lift whenever you need to. Don't try to stir the pot to change the event.

Here's a low 11 pass at Little River in an old jalopy. You can skip to the 1:20 mark when DW lifts and judge for yourself if he seems worried about the shutdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErTRuNzfI5w

16. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

17. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

That fucking video rules.

18. gottarod

gottarod
    from bandera,tx

if you haven't been down the track in your car, then why are YOU questioning SHIT? common sense says lift, if that's void try disc brakes, maybe laundry!

19. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That one is in the hall of fame, for sure..

-Abone.

20. Big Tony

Big Tony

To me Marc (Chevy Rat) and Reed (X-Gasser) said it all.. go on the safe side, this event would be tainted if anyone was to get seriously hurt because of not having enough shut down area. BUT, I'm not running so reallly the answer's should maybe come from the guys runninig the speeds. I enjoy watching any kind of drag racing so that makes no difference to me, Just don't cancel the event.

21. belair

belair

My car's all in at 1/16. I'm gonna be there no matter what.

22. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

All this 'concern' anymore,,,First I would like to think track owners would be aware of what there track can handle.
    2. The drivers know what they need

I can truly say I understand the whole stopping concept in 1/4 mile ( after scaring the hell out of myself the first time I raced ,,lol )

23. 4speedman

4speedman

the last time we raced that track we were going 10.0s at 130, now more like 9.30s at 145...as for cajones we aren't lacking (ask DW he's seen how we go) however safety is always a concern with the faster cars. It would be a shame to see someone hurt or ruin thier cars the work so hard on, I'm sure the track owners will make the right decision.

24. 4speedman

4speedman

our local track went 1/8 mi this year and caught hell and it is a state of the art concrete track with tons of shutdown, personally I prefer 1320

25. seatex

seatex

26. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

My laundry ain't in a wad.

Your question, ( 1/8 or 1/4 ) while seemingly relevant on the surface, is moot.

The distance cars will cover @ this event is @ the discretion of the track owner & event organizer. Funny thing is, this is the 3rd time I have said this.

Your safety is YOUR responsibility. Asking the opinions of this forum won't make you or anyone else safer. Nor will it have bearing on how the event will be run.

I had my own reservations about running @ this event last year because the track surfaced was ( in my opinion ) fucked up. So......I didn't run.

I understand your concern about the seemingly short shutdown. Yeah, it's kinda short. Yeah guys w/ MUCH faster cars manage just fine.
    Heres one for you. If ya don't feel like you have enough shutdown in the 1/4, lift 1/2 way. Gee, I said that before too huh?

So. The facts remain. You will have enough shutdown in the 1/4 ( if they allow cars to run that far ). The opinions of a buncha ding dongs in a forum don't count for a tin shit when the event organizer & track owner are the folks calling the shots.

See, the thing is, the two folks I just mentioned didn't ask for the help or opinions of you, me, or anyone here. You asked...."what do you think"?
    I've told ya multiple times now that it doesn't matter what folks think, & that regardless, the event will be safe & fun.

You don't like my answer? You don't believe me? You were expecting..........what..........a debate on the subject? A debate on a forum w/ 82000+ members, the vast majority of whom have never been to little river? You need the opinion of some dude from Ohio on the matter?

Just what do you expect to learn from the question you ask? Or are you just trying to start shit? I ask this as an honest question, not to be a dick, because I really can't tell?

27. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

28. gottarod

gottarod
    from bandera,tx

29. seatex

seatex

Gee the fuck, D.W., I was just asking, because, after some garage racing (yeah, I guess the kind I'm good at), there was a spirited discussion on the subject.
    Do I expect the Kontinentals to give a Rat Fuck about this post? NO.
    Am I gonna get my feelin's hurt if people question my bb size, Fuck No!
    But, I did think this forum was just that, A FORUM, a place where people can open topics, discuss, and ask opinions, even when you might get responses from people who are very opinionated (read) pASSionate.
    looks like you qualify> see 'ya at the track.
    :cool:

30. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

No hard feelings here dude.

It's just a little touchy of a subject to question the direction or intent of those who
    take the time & effort to host these things for us to enjoy.

And yes, I AM a passionate ASS haha!

Show up. Race. Enjoy. Repeat.

See ya there.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009