Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dare to Be Different - 2. The 53 Willys Wagon - Gasser Style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saxxon, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Saxxon

Saxxon

I've mentioned his new project a few times in a number of threads, decided it needed it's own. The inspiration comes from the picture I came across of the 46 Willys' "The Overland Express" that ran at the US Nationals with hemi power. Since I saw that picture I have been keeping my eyes open for something similar. A few months back we saw a poorly worded add for a "1956 wheely wagon 4x4" that mentioned "jeep" in the comments. Turned out to be a landlord trying to get rid of an abandoned Willys Wagon left in his garage. It also turned out to be a 1953. It's not prestine but it's not that rough and everything that is rusted out can be obtained as a patch panel. The price of $500 sealed the deal.

The plan is to make it a street / strip rod with all the standard gasser style parts. Straight axle up front, Dana 60 in the rear. I will try and keep everything 1966 era look and feel. The current engine plan is a pump gas friendly (and HAMB friendly) 1966 - 69 vintage big block chevy with similar vintage iron heads and somewhere between 402 and 440 cu inches. I want to be able to rip off 11 second ets but jump in it and go for breakfast / Sam's / the local Sunday cruise scene. I also want it to be hassle free at the track.

The current theme is along the lines of a Jr Stocker or lower gas class with body color steel wheels and narrow pie crusts in the back. Some sort of 5 spoke cookie cutter wheel / tire combination in the front. The interior will be low back gasser style seats with period correct upholstery. The thought of rebuilding the original seats is also an option. Old school tuck n roll / button tuft or even using a Mexican blanket is not out of the question.

This will not be a fast build but we are targetting to be there with it for Meltdown 7 to make some passes - even if it's not pretty.

As found
    photo.JPG

The inspiration
    527039_orig.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    volvobrynk, Mat Thrasher and loudbang like this.
  2. TinShed

TinShed

Cool, That is not a neat as a Binder but I will follow along. I am partial to Binders being a addict myself.

I have often thought it would be cool to do a old FJ40 as a Gasser but the short wheel base would be sketchy on the big end.....

1927graham and volvobrynk like this.
  3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great to see something different ..... have fun doing it.

4. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

someone on here uncovered the real deal not too long ago......I don't know what thread it was in....Now I'm regretting selling the '47 delivery version I had a few years back

volvobrynk likes this.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You could use the front axle from a 90s Grand Cherokee, they had a solid axle.

There is room for a big block under that narrow hood believe it or not. I put an Olds 371 in one.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. delray57

delray57

image.jpg Here is the real deal Overland Express as seen at the Back to the 50's event in St Paul this June. It was in good shape considering the passage of the years.

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Saxxon

Saxxon

Another shot of the "inspiration;
    Very cool that it's still around

1255485_orig.jpg

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  8. Saxxon

Saxxon

It's amazing what folks throw in an old truck. 4 tires, 2 life jackets, a bag of cement, a package of shingles, fender flares, a bbq and a super cool old school chest expander complete with 3 springs.

I also found 2 signs stating: "Temporarily Out Of Service" might have found a name for the build

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds your going to have some fun with this one.
    Are those Keystones on the front?

10. ...hope to see it run at the Meltdown someday...paint it red oxide and call it the "flyin brick"

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not sure what a chest expander is (surgical?)but I think that other stuff comes standard in a old utility vehicle:D

I have often wandered what one of those would look like with a late 30s early 40s doghouse and maybe even rear fenders to match.

Heres one Stacy Davids had on TRUCKS tv show but its a 4 wheelin machine.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Saxxon

Saxxon

The previously mentioned - Chest Expander.
    For you young'ns not around in the 60's and 70's

[​IMG]

More than a few fledgling chest hairs got plucked by these bad boys. I'm thinking it was a right of passage back in the day. Not to mention a few teeth knocked out from time to time.

I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate it into the build. Maybe it qualifies as a throttle return spring or a tailgate lift.

13. CGkidd

CGkidd

Can't wait to see how this one comes about. I think the name would be fittin for it.

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

What, "The Chest Expander"? Yeah I guess if it was built up pretty nice, That would make you walk around pretty proud:D

Just kiddin, yeah I have seen and at least maybe tried something similar but I never knew thats what is was called...I was born in 69.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Like the out of box thinking. Most of the old Willys wagons you see are 4x4, not built as drag or hot rod style.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. CGkidd

CGkidd

Naw "Temporarily Out Of Service"

17. oldtin

oldtin

My 56 wagon is heading in the same direction.
    Mine needs to come up some in the front end, and needs a different tire/wheel combo.......I'd be happy to just get it back on the road and worry about the gasser look later on.
    Its got the straight axle, engine set back, and fender well headers already, a little nose up and rolling stock would help it out a lot.
    [​IMG]

album:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/albums/56-willys-wagon.8263/

If you plan on buying replacement quarter panels........don't, the tooling for them is worn out, making smaller homemade patches will cost less and probably turn out better. I bought a quarter in the late 80's and the fit and detail wasn't very good, they are still stamping them with the same old tooling and quality is a lot worse now.

volvobrynk and rebarsfords like this.
  18. Unusual but hey, it's coming from you guys...ha ha. I do like the big block Chev part since I'm currently in a bigger big block swaparooney.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. How much beer fits in the back?

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'64 era Chevy big block? Wouldn't that be a "W" motor? (I had a friend that had an early '65 Impala SS that had a 409 in it!)

21. shop teacher

shop teacher

I have the Mortel Bros 51 Willys wagon from the same town, So St Paul, Mn, as the red Waldhauser Willys. I thought the Waldhauser Willys was street roded on a Jeep frame. It was cool to see the picture of the original at the back to the 50's. I got to get my Willys down there next year.Will try to post pictures later.

22. Saxxon

Saxxon

Sorry guys, correction on the BBC. It's an L-36 block (66-69) with a steel crankshaft. likely newer than 66. I just regurgitated the drivel I was told without checking facts. (I should know better) I'm going to refrain from using too many new looking parts to keep the "traditional theme" on an engine that's borderline for this forum and to keep the Meltdown Drags theme consistent.

Wasn't planning on new quarters. Mine are not that bad. Most of the rot are the floorboards. There are replacement panels for those available as well but they don't appear to be complicated. Might save myself a few pennies and bend them myself. I'll have it up in the air this weekend to do the poke test with a screw driver to see how bad the floors are. The driver side has been repaired (poorly) sometime way back when, the pass side has a rot hole big enough to pass a football through. I'm blown away with what is available through the inter-web for these things.

Not enough is the typical response. But it'll haul a lot more than the Scout will...Just not as fast. Just as much fun is it will haul 3 friends without having to stand in the back hanging onto the roll bar...

More inspiration !!

P1030929 (1080 x 810).jpg

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh well, the "W" motor would up the "Cool" factor, though! BTW, does anyone with knowledge of sonics, exhaust systems. or something similar have an opinion on the length of the headers on the above car? Seems to me to be mighty long; the harmonics must come in at 15,000 RPM or maybe 1200 RPM or ? (- ;

24. my cars 001.jpg ...too bad I sold my Jeep p.u.,...coulda used it for your push truck...

volvobrynk and Saxxon like this.
  25. Saxxon

Saxxon

And it begins...
    Not a lot of time on it today but enough to get the front end off and prep to pull the motor. So far it's been a lot of dirt and dry rust so all the bolts are coming off easily. Let's hope the rest of the disassembly is the same. Got to love a vehicle you can take apart with a 7/16, 1/2 and 9/16 wrench and socket.

Oh yah...correction on the signs. Obviously they say "Temporarily Out Of Oder" (not service) I like that better anyway

IMG_0130.JPG IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0135.JPG

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Like the swimming pool idea, I seam to chase streams with my bucket..ha ha

loudbang likes this.
  27. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I really like your other builds, but between this abd the scout, you got some of the coolest drag car, and slightly weird too! And that was meant as a big compliment!
    I love when people dare to be different!

That engine compartment begs for a big block, in the badest way.

I'm a littel slow to the number system regarting engine! What does the L-36 say about the mill?
    And how does a newbie decode it?

Are you going full clone on the rest? Or colour? What about cage?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. Saxxon

Saxxon

When it comes to race cars - I like weird... never been a cookie cutter kind of guy. I fully respect traditional and appreciate a gasser style 55 or Willys as much as the next guy. But I'll take off the wall any day.

L36 427 390 hp at 5,200 470tq at 3,600 Chevrolet/Corvette

But that's just the block. . The crank is not stock and I haven't dug into the origin of the heads but I'm sure they don't belong to the block. Not too concerned as I'm not a numbers matching guy. The heads will get bigger valves and some minor porting. This will bea pump gas motor built for durability and driveability with enough suds to make it fun at the track. Mid 11's would be just fine.

I'm building this to reflect a gasser but also to meet minimum safety requirements for IHRA/NHRA 11.00 - 11.49. This means a 6 point roll bar with side bars. I'll make them removable for cruise nights. With a high center of gravity, a tall vehicle and 500+hp I'm thinking safety equipment is a good idea.

This is not an Overland Express clone. It will be a Saxxon build and will have to create it's own credibility and history. The Scout was built very different from it's past and that was done on purpose.

I'm thinking a solid body color (Pearl white ??) with period correct lettering. Interior will by utilitarian with low back buckets and a stock split rear bench seat (removable). Paint and finish are a long way off so plans may change but this concept has consistently risen to the top of the list.

More inspiration - This is the picture that inspired the look and theme I am talking about. I'll add some kind of cookie cutter 5 spoke on the front with a bit more altitude (attitude ?) in the front

[​IMG]

Like this...

10371754_307375196087089_3019673375553460449_n.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  29. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

I'll be following this. Slowly building a '52 wagon. 331 Hemi, boxed frame, IFS, Mopar 8 3\4, etc.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.