Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Dan Kilcup of Portland, OR; shop sign info appreciated.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MarrsCars, Jun 15, 2016.

1. MarrsCars

MarrsCars

I found a couple of threads here discussing Dan Kilcup who was apparently quite the master builder of local hot rods, and recently I acquired a sign that was described to me as being the original one from his NW Vaughn Street garage here in Portland, OR. What I am seeking is info about if this was at his home or business garage, was it the primary signage, what years was it there, the address(es), and really any memories you may have of the shop, the man, and his builds. Also, any photos of the garage, home, etc., would be very welcome as well.

Kilcup shop sign.png

2. He didn't live in the shop and he would have been there through the '60s and into the '70s. He kept his business and private life separate when I knew him.

alanp561, 5window and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Now there is a piece of PDX hot rod history.

alanp561 likes this.
  4. MarrsCars

MarrsCars

Thanks so far for the info. We originally bought this simply to resell through our shop but it has such a fantastic style, and the Vaughn Street reference is what made me take notice as we used to live in that neighborhood before moving a couple of years ago. We still eat at Industrial Cafe on NW Vaughn Street, hence my interest in locating the original shop, I have surely driven by it a hundred times.

Thanks, and please keep the memories coming!

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

It's been 50+ years since I was at Kilcup's shop, so things are a little hazy, however I do remember that it was on the south side of Vaughn St, around 25th, 26th, or 27thSt. The shop was on the 2nd floor, above another business. There was an overhead door, and a ramp leading up to the 2nd floor .

alanp561, 5window and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bob, I seem to remember that Danny's Wife ran the tavern that adjoined the machine shop. Also, a catchphrase connected to Danny's cylinder head work was, "There is no Snap, Crackle, or Pop, with Kilcup Heads" !

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Believe it or not while he was not famous for it he could also grind a cam, my 312 ran a Kilcup cam shaft after I broke the original.

I actually don't remember the street names (not good with street names) but I could probably take you right to the place if I was there. it was on the right hand side of the street as you were headed down hill. I am pretty sure but then again my brain was pretty foggy most of the time back then.

hey Marty,
    Someone told me that the Healy is in a museum some place, you got any idea where that is? or were they just blowin smoke up my ass.

8. MarrsCars

MarrsCars

So I spent some time on street view and many of the buildings have been renovated into more modern structures along that stretch and while I was able to find a few spots with overhead doors that could possibly have a ramp behind them, there was nothing solid to indicate which one. Some businesses there even have roll-up doors for sunny day open-air dining to further complicate things. Assuming it's in the stretch between NW 23rd and the Montgomery Park Building I would bet it has a new facade. Seems like it's time for me to do some footwork next time I'm over there.

I found a note on member "bcbest" residing in Camas, WA stating he owns the Austin Healey now but his page shows he has not been active here since 2012. I'll keep digging and asking at car shows this summer. I'm a man on a mission now!

9. Danny's shop didn't have roll up doors facing the street they were swing open as I recall. Tow of them opening from the middle. I don't remember a loading dock in the back as I recall there was his machine shop out front and a big back room where he kept a Studebaker hawk that he was working on.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I see you have eaten at Industrial Cafe, how's the food there?
    I was on that side of town some time back, we ate at Aculpulco's gold, good Mexican food.

11. MarrsCars

MarrsCars

Here's a direct link (I hope) to Google Street View of Vaughn Street facing West as if you were going towards Montgomery Park. This should start at just before 25th street, with street numbers getting higher as you go, 26th, 27th, etc. If anyone has an interest in "walking" the block to see if anything looks familiar please try to grab the address or even make a screenshot.

DDDenny: I actually really love the food there, breakfast is exceptional and their burgers are really great especially the one with the deep fried jalapeño slices, but my favorite is the veggie burger made spicy like that and with bacon added (I'm a nutcase I realize). The bacon is thick, crisp and addictive. The fries are great too and servers are really nice. I think its owned by the guy who runs the metal shop across the street. Do try and avoid the lunchtime rush as it's a favorite of the Montgomery Building workers and can lead to a very long wait. We call ahead on those days and just take our food to Wallace Park near Chapman Elementary and make a picnic of it.

12. 1956Hawk

1956Hawk
    from Oregon

The Healy hasn't been in a museum.
    My dad bought it from his wife back in 1999 and sold it to "bcbest" back in 2011.

Here's a picture the day my dad bought it from his wife Ruth.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

14. 1956Hawk

1956Hawk
    from Oregon

alanp561 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. That'sMyGG!

That'sMyGG!

Hi! Dan Kilcup is my Great Grandfather! Do you still have the sign? We're getting a kick out of Googling his name and finding posts who know his legacy! "Grandpa Dan the Racecar Man' is what we call him! :)

16. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Welcome !!!! Post more pics, please !!!
    Al Drake has mentioned Danny in his books many times. I'll check to see if he's been active ...

17. SR100

SR100

Does this look like the building:
    upload_2022-7-31_5-32-51.png

I saw a reference to a Ruth and Danny's Tavern at 2668 NW Vaughn in the 1960 Portland city directory.

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I doubt his shop was as far West as 27th St. as that was across from Montgomery Wards and the site of the Lewis & Clark Exposition building; a giant log cabin that took up the whole block on the South side of Vaughn St. More likely it was 25th-26th area. There's a very old apartment house on the corner of 25th, so not there either. Between 25th and 26th are a number of newer buildings on the south side, so likely his shop building is gone now.

19. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing! @1956Hawk joined the HAMB Mar. 5, 2017. He hasn't been seen since Dec. 25, 2018 and, these are the only two posts he made with pics of a really cool car his Dad owned that was built by the subject of this thread. Makes me wonder what happened to 1956Hawk?

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

21. According to Marty Strode, the machine shop was adjorned to Dan's wife's tavern.

Screenshot_20220731-232724_Drive.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022