Register now to get rid of these ads!

damn shoebox windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead fred, Jul 25, 2007.

1. flathead fred

flathead fred

any tips on installing the split front glass in me shoebox, first split glass install for me... used all the usual windshield install tricks, but only frustration, what do you need, like 18 guys hanging on every angle! so close, but no go/// any tips ???

2. fordorford

fordorford

Are you using a new rubber seal? I have heard that the new ones fit a little too tight. One guy had to have his glass sanded down smaller so it would fit-----------.
    Bob

3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Glass guys put the original glass back in my Victoria with new rubber, after paint. They beat on the windshield until I thought it would shatter, but it finally went in and has been in for 10 years now.

4. This may seem obvious, but if it's anything like a comparable year Chevy, best bet is to install the center first and have someone press on the outside as you pull cords out of the top and bottom, inside.

5. old beet

old beet

Ford goes in from the outside----Mercury goes in from the inside!...OLDBEET

6. flathead4d

flathead4d

Check on the shoeboxford.com web site. I think someone there said you have to put both pieces in at the same time and the center part goes in last.

7. O.K. what usual steps are you doing? what problem are you having? what manufacture gasket are you using? with or without stainless? and where did you get your glass.
    any one of those questions could be your problem. it's pretty hard to solve your problem. you sound like you've done this often and never had a problem before.
    I can tell you soap or lube the rubber real good and don't let it dry out. it's impossible to get the top in before you have the bottom seated all the way. come up about both sides about 6 inches on both sides. pull the whole thing down real good. then bring one up around the top corner and pull that towards the side. then bring the other side around the top corner and about half way to the center. move back to the first side and pull that in to the center. when you pound on it it's safest to pound on the gasket and always on the part that's half way in. NEVER HIT THE GLASS OR GASKET AHEAD OF THE ROPE. should go in

8. leadsled01

leadsled01

I believe you are supposed to install rubber seal to the glass and then install from the outside like oldbeat said. At least that is way my plymouth was, and alot of other cars.

9. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

put the windshield in rubber seal taka a bite rope around the whole seal and put the rope ends in and push the windshield and easy starting to pull the rope i did this week and thats how the done it in shop manual and that was no problem

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I followed the steps in the 49-51 Ford shop manual by myself several times and had no issues...