Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "DAMN NASTY" garage find, drag race Corvette, Des Plaines or Antioch Illinois.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt R, Feb 28, 2009.

1. oldmuleskinner

oldmuleskinner
    from CHICAGO

I think i saw that car last night in a video with Oswego,US 30, & Union Grove footage. I'll find out what the name of that tape was(yes VHS).

2. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

Man i love these stories. :cool:

3. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

Wow it's cool to see the car end up on here. I called when the guy first put the ad up on craigslist. I would have went down and looked at it too if I hadn't bought a 62 Vette about a month back. When I talked to the guy your friend bought a car from he said that the car did have a straight axel under it and the previous owner took it off and put the stock type front end back under the car. But then again he also led me to believe the car was in a lot better/unmolested shape than it is in those pictures, so who knows he might have been full of it about the straight axel.

Anyways cool car, and it was priced pretty decent too.

I'm thinking the car needs a stroked 348 or 409 with a munci 4 speed, olds rear end, and a straight axel up front.

4. previous owner (seller) did speak some confusing facts, closer to incorrect, and had an inaccurate description of the cars condition. No physical evidence of straight front axle, altered wheelbase or engine swap.

5. to the top, in hopes that the week day HAMBers can help with photos or background history of this car.

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Congrats on the find. I had a 59. It was raced quite a bit. The front suspension was shared with the pass chev car. A lot of vettes, including mine simply had block spacers between the front suspension (that bolted on with bolts) to raise the front so the fenderwell headers would clear. Not all gasser vettes had straight axles. Cool find.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I have a drag racing DVD from the Nationals at Indianapolis 1963. I remember a bunch of early Vettes, I will watch it again and see if I see a Damn Nasty one. ;)

What color was it before it was painted white? Also white?

9. broncojohn

broncojohn

Lot's of speed shops in the 1960's in Des Plaines

10. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Ha Ha Nobody is gonna hate you for liking that tytpe of vette , BUT this baby belongs back on the Drag Strip Pronto... !!

11. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Either way restore it so some sort of mid-late 60's configuration and drive the hell out of it! Sweet find!

12. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

JOHN`s VIDEO`s
    773-284-9854

13. thanks for the tip, we will make the phone call.

14. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

That first picture of the white '58 with the knock-off Halibrands makes me weak. Some day I'll have one.

15. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I apologize for jumping into this thread but, there seems to be a lot of Illinois area guys who know about the old race culture. I bought a '48 Ford panel truck a few years back that I assumed was used to pull a race car. On the sides there was lettering, "White Stucco Lounge Race Team" out of Des Plaines, Illinois. The reason I assume it was used to haul a car was it have a heavy trailer hitch cobbled to the back bumper. From the damage to the truck it looks like the truck was involved in a rollover accident. The body was tweaked to one side and there was about an inch of Black Magic filler in the roof.

Anyone hear of this team?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  16. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Curt, It was my absolute pleasure to stumble into you guys in the Corvette gassing up in Lebanon, Indiana (We were the 6 guys and a gal that bombarded you at the BP station near the McDonalds, as we were enroute to Pinks All Out in Indy).

We spotted the car pulling into the station while we were eating and knew it was an old drag car. LOVED talking to you and seeing the car up close and it was TOO cool that you were driving back to Florida!! Can't believe no one else has mentioned that on this post. Surely some other HAMBers saw you too over the weekend.

The car is WICKED cool up close and most of the lettering will be easily duplicated because it is easily seen where it was and what it said (though I can see why it wouldn't photograph).

Hope you made it home safely and please continue posting pictures.

I am betting there will be several good stories before you make it all the way home (besides the story you told us of converting it to an alternator mid trip...)

Happy Motoring in that ride...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  17. Larrysgarage

Larrysgarage
    from Palatka,Fl

Hey everyone, Heres an update on DAMNNASTY,she's retired from the strip [except the occasional weekend fling] and has moved to Florida as Bob mentioned,meeting and talking to us at the gas station.She talked to me on the long ride home,[which by the way was not advised by any person I talked to because of the problems that could arise along the way]she has told me not to lock her away for strip use only,but to drive her on the street and let other people enjoy looking and going back to the day.Some things will be changed,but racing heritage and patina/history will remain mostly evident,that can't change.It will never be "restored" as long as I own it.I appreciate all the interest in the car and would like to thank Ron @ Corvette Perfection in Hartland,Wi.for all his help in purchasing the vette, he's a real stand up guy if he tells you something, you can believe it.I'm still really anxious to see some pics in her heyday, maybe someone has some and will share them with us.Thanks for all the interest and wiil try to keep everyone posted on progress. Larry

18. wow!!! did i say wow??!!

19. Larrysgarage

Larrysgarage
    from Palatka,Fl

add new pics with some of lettering done,straight axle is definately in the works.

Attached Files:

20. CGkidd

CGkidd

Sweet. That looks so cool.

21. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

You are VERY smart for not doing the restoration. That's exactly what I would've done. Just re-do the art over the old paint and cruise it around as-is.

There's too many shiny vettes in the world anyway. It's good to see a scrappy one. :D

22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

23. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

That car was for sale at Jefferson swap meet in Wisconsin early this year. It caught my attention up there. Wish I owned it. My ol man still asks me every now and then "remember that vette that was up at Jefferson?"

Glad to see it went to a good home.

24. I remember drooling over it on that trailer in Jefferson spring. glad it went to a good home

25. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

NUTS, very cool retaining the history. Would love to see it up close. Thanks for sharing. Slim

26. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

It didn't get much exposure at spring Jefferson because all The F..n rain I had sBc intakes that were an inch under water, fortunatly for you, Very cool story, awsome car. A old freind of mine grew up in that area in the 50s and 60s and is coming down from Colorado in a couple weeks I will show him the pics and see if he recognizes it.

27. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Very Cool Story & Find.

I grew Up in DesPlaines - but that cars story is before my time.

I have two ( maybe ) Leads for you

#1 IF you can find anybody who worked at Grand Auto Motive on Oakton Street during that cars day - I bet he would remember the car or team - Grand Was a Drag Racing hot spot.

#2 IF you take a trip to Des Plaines - Go look up Tom ( The BOMBER ) Baum.

He still lives on Estes - just east of the tracks & ( Manhiem Road )

If it involved DRAG RACING and it happined in Des Plaines - Tom Knows abou it.

28. Muttley

Muttley

Ditch the radials, they are killing the look.

29. Its perfect as is. Nuff said.