Register now to get rid of these ads!

damn flathead starter alignment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead fred, Sep 9, 2007.

1. flathead fred

flathead fred

ok, Yes, I have read the threads ... but I just cannot get the damn starter on my 8BA flathead aligned, she was running and all was fine, then all hell broke loose, or so it seems. further words of wisdom? I understand what is wrong, it has me baffled though! oh well, just had to rant, will try again tommorrow.

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

A little more info would be helpful.

Are you sure you have the right starter plate? There is one that puts that starter at an odd angle, for auto maybe.

Rich

3. F1James

F1James

Do you have the rear mounting braket that gos between starter bolt and oil pan bolt on it.Lots running around without it and it usualy creates starter alments on flatheads.

4. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

the 59ab flywheel and the 8ba are different .

5. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Things I know about that cause what are or at least appear to be alignment problems with flathead starters:

Wrong starter plate for the bell housing. The stamped steel full bell housing uses an angled plate. The rest don't. If the problem existed from the beginning, this is the prime suspect.

The front support for the starter motor is missing. If it was aligned once and isn't aligned now, this is the prime suspect. It is just a little twisted L-shaped gizmo with bolt holes that attach the starter to a pan bolt.

A starter for an automatic transmission car used on a stick shift car or visa versa. I can't remember the issues with this, but they don't interchange. It may have more to do with the mount than the starter.

6. flathead fred

flathead fred

yup, I think it is that front starter plate. everything else is correct.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Somebody posted a detailed photo spread on all the late flathead starter plates on the MSN board...I think it was linked here. Maybe someone can dig up a route to that.

8. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

"Moefuzz" over on the MSN Early V-8 site posted that "extensive" analysis.

9. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

10. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Yes, the 8BA used them also. There is even a small cut-out on the pan rail for the bracket to clear.

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hmmmm...just looked in the '49 book, they did keep the little bracket up front...it is missing on a large percentage of cars out in the world. It's available dirt cheap in repro...
    All actual starters for '32-53 221-239-255 flatheads interchange except for automatic trans ones, which has both different mounting and different drive...with different tooth count to boot.
    With late engines, either get starter plate and bellhousing from the same car or do some research before collecting loose bits, as there's a jungle of wrong combinations possible.