Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dad's 56 Corvette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 13, 2010.

1. KAdams1476

KAdams1476
    from Midwest

I think that Route 66 used the quad-headlight cars from 58-62 for almost all of the series. I know they used a few different ones since certain colors shot better in black and white.

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The series started in Oct of 1960 and continued until 64. They had a new Vette every season. Also during the 3rd season, Todd traveled alone until Linc showed up and then they traveled together until the series final season.

3. Deuces

Deuces

Gotta love those solid axle Vettes! :D

4. DEVIL DAN

DEVIL DAN

Cool story and great photos, its great to have those memories photos of days past, i have a 56 corvette and no exactly what you mean about little room in them early vetts just enough room for ya sleeping bag, booze and a one man tent . P1000453.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
    enloe likes this.
  5. sololobo

sololobo

My Dad didn't have a Vette, but brought home some hardware with his 55 Olds sedan. He changed the rear end for the drags for some lower gears, 4:10's as I remember. It jumped outta the hole against the others in his stock class. It was only 15 miles from Dad's shop to the strip so driving the low gears was no big deal. Love all the Vette stories, my friend Johnny Marsh who became one of Speedy Bill's (Speedway Motors) engine builders and tuners for many of his race machines. Johnny sold his Vette and was able to find it again after retiring and moving to Arizona.

6. I had a fawn beige '62 for 15 years - drove it everywhere and trade it for the '40 convert in '69. The '40 is still a keeper but I gotta say there is a big hole in my car collection still.

7. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Your story is cool! Brought back memories that I've shared else where on here. But here's a short version.

My adopted brother, Lou bought a high mile '57 Vette and owned it until he passed in 2010. He handed it down to his nephew who played in it as a kid while Lou was in the Army. He also worked for Chevrolet dealership in Flint area and put in a brand new 327 when they first came out. We had tons of fun, road trips and just cruising. Miss him and all the fun times we had together. Lou\'s 005.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  8. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jive-Bomber : Your story is about as COOL as it gets. This is the kind of Vettes I grew up riding around in..hot rod ones. That is one righteous plastic fantastic!

9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool GREAT story Jive!------I'm a bit older than your dad (84), also Korean vet, 1951-1955, like your dad, read all the car mags while overseas & had a 1941 Chev coupe in 1949, no Corvettes back then----Haa! MY FIRST CAR.jpg

10. When I get my 32 sedan back on the road, I think I'm going to trade it for an early Vette.

11. Wish I was 40 years older. Yeah well I wish I was 40 years younger. Hells hotrods I know that country live in Silverado Canyon.
    Back on track I had a 55 vette back in 57 & all I can say is it was a P O S .leaked like a stuck pig when it rained so I drilled two 3/4" drain holes in the floor. Built on a regular chevy chassis a 265 w/powerglide that went out & cops in long beach pulled me over weekly just to check my insurance & license. I later had 66 327/350Hp 4 speed that wasn't too bad & the 95 I had was wasn't all that bad. Wife said she was too cramped in the 95 dang that was a nice one. You could go 70-75 mph & get 30 mpg.

Attached Files:

12. Vette memories....
    Here's an old family photo from the early 80's. My two brother-in-laws and mine. The maroon one was a one owner, FI car. Center one was a 250hp w/3speed. Mine was a 340hp. All of them were original paint cars but are gone now. I do know where mine is and can visit it anytime. Have my eye peeled for another solid axle now.

0 vettes.JPG

13. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

The 56 Vette in my avatar was my dads. He used it as a delivery vehicle for the shop.
    I recently got it back on the road after it had been sitting for over 20 years. It was a summer project that a bunch of my buddies and I completed at Charlie's garage where we hang out on Saturdays. A lot of bullshit fly's and we work on each others cars.

Attached Files: