Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dad's 31 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. J's Model A, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

[​IMG]
    This is a polaroid pic ( taken by Mom in 1969) of my Dad's 31 coupe. He bought this car in 1969 for $600, and owned it until he passed in 2009. I have fond memories of this car. The car was taken to Colorado after Dad passed. The fenders, grill shell, lights etc were lost during this time. I was given the chance to go get the car back, and did so quickly.
    I know the wheels in my pics are offensive to some. I am looking for a deal on some steelies with white walls. Hope you can tolerate until then.
    I am rebuilding this car in memory of my Father. I will enjoy every moment of the build. This is my first Model a build. Thanks.

2. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

[​IMG]
    The car when I got it home.

3. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

That's really cool.I ended up with my fathers 28 dodge he had since 72 but needs lots of work to go anywhere.Yours looks like a great start.

4. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

5. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

6. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

The frame on this car has been chopped on alot, so I found a 29 frame from a guy here in town. I am slowly dismantling this car in my garage while I build new frame in the shop where I work. Many thanks to a wonderful Employer !!![​IMG]

7. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

[​IMG]
    Getting ready to z rear 5"

8. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

9. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

10. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

[​IMG]
    I had frame media blasted, I welded in nuts for body mounts, cut boxing plates, and welding them in

11. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

[​IMG]
    This was the Z thet was done 50 years ago! Its held up well.

12. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

13. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

[​IMG] This is the steering box setup done in th 60's. The frame is cut almost entirely in half and box welded outside. This made me nervous! Dad ran this car down the track at MoKan doing 130 MPH.

14. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

I hope I don't have my spring kicking back too much. i welded cross member level with top of frame. With the wheel on, I have 104 3/4" on center. Hoping I don't have to cut out cross member and re weld. I am starting to comprehend the theory of tacking everything to fit.[​IMG]

15. adam401

adam401

Please don't scrap the original frame. Tuck it un a corner in the garage. That's alot of history there. Good luck, this is really cool.

16. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

[​IMG] Trying out some mounts for the bones

17. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

We are saving the old frame. My boys want to build another one when this ones finished. We will have Dads frame in one, and body on the other. They will each have a bit of his car when I'm gone.

18. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

Thanks burl. Good luck with your Fathers 28.

19. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Awesome story and nice work! Very cool how you're building two cars out of it for your kids. Looks like you're headed in the right direction. Cant wait to see the turn out.

20. Squablow

Squablow

A rod with history is cool, but one with family history is even better. Looks like the body is in good shape yet, too. You think it was repainted after that first pic, or is that the same paint? Would be cool if it was.

21. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

Dad repainted it 7 or 8 years ago. I actually found out more history on the car from the gentleman Dad bought it from. The car came from Muskogee, Oklahoma from a guy who owned a gas station. I got to see some old pics of the car, and here good history.
    When I pulled the rear spring out of cross member, the old orange paint was still inside cross member.

22. A great story, I wish you well.

23. adam401

adam401

I really like the vibe of this project and how it's not a year specific restoration of what it was but a new build that respects the cars and your family's history.

24. Mr. J's Model A

Mr. J's Model A
    from Kansas

Thanks guys. This site is awesome. So much information on here.

25. Cool car and story. I bought my Model A from a guy who's Dad built it in the early '60's. I know he would have liked to have kept it but circumstances did not allow it. I often think about the history of that car, I am a caretaker.

26. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

27. Very nice build!! Fist pic kind of reminds me of my model A when I brought it home, old drag car from the 60s. Enjoy your car, I know you will. I think your dad would be very proud! Best of luck, Mikey.

28. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Nice lots of memories In sure .

29. brady1929

brady1929

Great story and soon to be great hot rod.

30. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I love seeing stuff like this. I hope one day I can find my dads '55 he sold at the pomona swap meet 3 or 4 years ago. Wasn't expecting him to die on me. Now that car has tons of sentimental value. Good job and have fun!