Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cyclone manifolds and heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sangerbuzz, Dec 18, 2017.

1. sangerbuzz

sangerbuzz

I recently acquired a cyclone manifold for a friend. Does anyone know what material those are made out of? My buddy thought maybe magnesium because they were so light. But I'm not convinced due to lack of oxidation. Anyone know where they were made? Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Deuces

Deuces

Pictures!
    We need pictures....

4. alchemy

alchemy

5. Probably not Magnesium. Ever see it burn?

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Offshore, Hoffman Group level products, copied from USA manufactures who did the R and D work, and their designs stolen from Edelbrock, Weiand, and Holley, and others. They are COPIED to "look" like "our" products, but are in no way as good. I don't have any direct experience myself, but have heard/read that port sizes are't uniform, and fitment can be questionable. Material? No doubt aluminum sent as scrap metal by us (USA) to those offshore manufacturers in China/India. No way are they made of magnesium. It's sad this stuff is being sold by Summit and Jegs also, and in some case, embossed with the Summit and Jegs names. The Chinese are really getting very sneaky and crafty. One good example, are the so called, Gibson Les Paul electric guitars, that come from China bearing the Gibson LOGO, have MADE IN U.S.A. embossed in the head stock, and a fake serial number; in some cases they come with fake documents. They started out as being easy to identify, but they are learning from their mistakes. The only thing that really stands out now, is their electronics have't caught up to Gibson's level, but they are even improving on that. The number one polluters in the world, are Chine and India; people in those countries routinely wear masks just due to their air quality. Buying all this "junk" just supports everything/anything these countries produce, and how they produce their products. I know how tempting it is when it comes to saving money when building a car, but you have to look further than saving a few dollars here and there. PLEASE, do not support this junk by buying it, even used. JMO. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

China is the world's greatest counterfeiter. They are also destroying the coin collecting hobby with their steadily improving fakes.

Even if the manifolds they copied and manufactured were just as good as the old US ones, the fakers are still conducting an unethical business.

But it is an interesting question of just where the sin is being committed. Is it at the Chinese foundry? They are probably just given drawings or samples and requested to "make as per sample". Is it the Chinese exporters? Is it the US importers? Is it the ultimate consumer and purchaser?

loudbang, joel, tractorguy and 2 others like this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

Wait a minute! You guys are saying there are cheapo import Cyclone intake and heads being made? Show some photos. I don't believe it. The real ones have been made by the same people (maybe even the same foundry?) for decades. Kevin will be on soon to tell us all about it.

10. Burny

Burny

What the? Kevin has been making these (in very low numbers) the same way they have been made for over 40 years... Cast here in LA...machined in his garage...If there are knock-offs out there I have not seen them... Post some picts please...

11. Deuces

Deuces

I'll be watching this one....o_O

12. banjorear

banjorear

Agreed. This thread seems to have taken a left turn in St. Louie...

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I’d like to see pix as well.
    All of our Castings are poured in Bell/South Gate, in the same places all of the original manufacturers poured over 70 yrs ago.

Our foundry has been around since 1923 as a family business. Nothing offshore from COOKS MACHINE WORKS-CYCLONE RACING EQUIPMENT -LOS ANGELES 22,CALIF.
    We don’t own the foundry, they’re a non-ferrous alloy source. Many other manufacturers use them as well. 577D76B3-FC42-4D8A-9BBA-EF72F03BE73D.jpeg This is what one looks like when they come back from the foundry.

We have metal tooling and I have that In my possession. Not aware of the intakes being “knocked off” as I have plenty.

I am aware of a guy/gal in Fresno that have done a knock off of our original artwork T-Shirts that they hock on ePay that aren’t anywhere as good as ours. From a distance I guess they look fine? but they’re not ours!

I find this weird as 20yrs ago I went to COOK’S
    and went through the proper process in order to bring the product back again -mind you, we don’t ever do large runs, just enough to garner us a spot in line at the foundry.

It may be years before we cast the next time from last? We’re not a high volume manufacturer, just Hot Rodders who want to provide an alternative choice to other Hot Rodders.

CK.

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

56 Sedan Delivery, It looks like someone kicked over your soapbox . Or are you having Crow for Christmas dinner?

Clay Belt likes this.
  15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Sorry to add to the implication that the Cyclone parts were Chinese fakes, please consider my previous post to be simply about Chinese made fakes in general. I didn't know about the particulars of the Cyclone parts.

16. sangerbuzz

sangerbuzz

I will try to get a picture up in the next couple days. The manifold is for a 1950 ford 226 inline 6 flathead

17. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Cyclone Kevin does a fantastic job of promoting and producing the Cyclone brand of flathead speed equipment. All of the Cyclone flathead intakes, heads and quickchange rear ends are proudly manufactured right in the USA and always will be. The Cyclone brand is absolutely top quality and a great choice for any hot rodder to install on their engine. I really don't know how all this nonsense got started on here about fake Chinese Cyclone speed parts. I have never seen any, or heard of any, and I would be willing to bet there aren't any. Someone got some wrong information from somewhere and is just adding to the rumor mill. As a matter of fact I have never seen or even heard of any fake Chinese flathead intake manifolds or heads. A few years ago there there were all kinds of the "Ansen" Y adapters all over ebay that were thought to be originals but in fact were really good reproductions. Another case in point is the Tattersfield air cleaners. The first ones were advertised as NOS originals and as it turned out they too were really good reproductions. I think the origin of these two reproduction pieces would be more like Mexico and not China. Probably the most copied flathead speed part is the Thicksun teardrop air cleaner. You can put one of these up to your ear and hear a Mexican guitar trio softly playing in the distance. The guys on here are a pretty smart bunch, and if there is something fake going on, someone is going to post about it.

warhorseracing and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^THIS is NOT the ,CYCLONE I was referring too! I am specifically referring to the Cyclone-Hurricane-Professional Products, etc"brands" that have come on the market in the last couple/few years, not stuff that has been around for quite some time right here in North America.. So, to Cyclone Kevin, I hope you know I was't talking about you and yours. I think most of you do know what my post was about, and I still stand by what I said. EXAMPLE: Edelbrock Performer Non EGR for 55-86 SBC $169.95 in Summit, the "COPY" Performance Products "pseudo-Performer" $131.97, and they refer to it as a CYCLONE, also in Summit. How about the fake "Holleys" on E-Bay; for a while they were all over the place, now they've all but disappeared. Ya'll can pick up a Summit-Jegs-Speedway catalog, and see for yourselves; virtual copies of our name brand parts, cast in China to LOOK the same, but have mismatched ports, poor machine work, etc, that you don't see until you actually start looking at the stuff. Copies of MSD ignitions are also all over the place; I imagine MSD is tired of all the warrantee claims they've had to deal with, on parts that they did't make, but have their name on them. There's only one way these fakes even get sold; ill informed buyers that think they're getting a deal; looks the same, cheaper, lighter, whatever........................and they buy it, some of you have bought it, your friends/family have bought it; it's how the Hoffman Group stays afloat. I know some guys on the HAMB have been talking about front axles from offshore; the same deal there with offshore parts made to LOOK like the name brand, Made in the USA stuff that has been here for years. I do occasionally get on my soapbox, but I never eat crow. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Now I see where the OP sangerbuzz has posted the manifold is for an older Ford six; THAT information would have been nice to have. Even the Chinese can see there's currently no real market for that; if there was, they'd be copying Clifford's manifolds.

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

Good explanation of your previous post. Actually the Cyclone Crosswind manifold worked really well on round track cars. Ran one on our dirt late model.

20. alchemy

alchemy

None of us knew what you were talking about. Since the OP mentioned his old Cyclone manifold, we all understood him to be talking about manifolds for old cars. Not some new whizbang SBC's.

X38 and Budget36 like this.
  21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I also thought what was being copied was our Vintage Speed Equipment, but I’m aware of Performance Products intake manifold boxed as Cyclone as they have a Tornado and a Hurricane as well.
    I wrote them a letter more than several years ago providing written nomenclature of our existence since the early days of performance manufacturing. As I recall, they discontinued using the Cyclone name on the intake box as it is not cast, stamped or embossed into their casting or manifold, so it was just on the box.

I have considered doing a 3x2 SBC intake and valve covers. They have been made aware of this. Of course ours would be significantly different from theirs and would not be cast offshore.
    Back to the Original Post by Sangerbuzz regarding the intake in question.
    It is a very rare 2x1 Ford 226ci CYCLONE intake. EC8BFA5A-1BE3-49FD-B3B0-9CA4C9182210.jpeg I have this one that we cast back in the late 40’s. It’s NOS.
    I found a reply to a thread that I answered in 2005 Re: this engine and I’ll include a page from our 1949 Catalog showing our heads.

May 15, 2005.
    (Back in the day we used to make a Racing & street version for the Flat head 6.
    Last Wednesday I met a guy from Gilroy, CA. and showed him the patterns, I told him that if he could find about 10 customers, I'd seiously look into putting this head back into production.
    I do have a NOS Cyclone dual intake also that is still @ the shop (Cook's) to remake a pattern from that also, but I need serious people who will step up with deposits if they really need em. P.M, me if you'd like jpgs.) 5192D683-68A4-45FB-B475-FF0DD0E56245.png
    Read that address at the bottom of the page because COOK’S-CYCLONE has been there since the days of Gow Jobs and HOP UPs. Even has the same ph# with an 8 added after the exchange-prefix. How many shops today can say that????

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  22. alchemy

alchemy

Kevin, I'll take a pair of those 24-stud heads. So I just send my $65 check to that same ol address? ;)

23. Your original reply was regarding something that is completely unrelated and irrelevant to the part in question in the original post. Hence the confusion and "WTF?" replies. The rest of us knew exactly what Cyclone brand to which he was referring, even without the additional information regarding application, simply based upon the venue (The HAMB) and context (vintage hot rods).

X38 likes this.
  24. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Hey Kevin, i've always wondered-Did Cyclone only make the 3-2barrel intake for flathead V-8's or were there other intakes they made for flathead V-8's? Did they make intakes for four bangers or just heads? Also did they ever make an intake for flathead cadillac or just heads?

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

COOK’S-CYCLONE made just the one V8 Ford 3X2 intake and made CYCLONE carb block off plates to utilize in the event the end user wanted to eliminate one.

COOK made the heads for the Flathead Cads under a military contract near the end of 43, I’ve been told by his daughter and grandson.

Frank Burrell aka Detroit Racing Equipment was employed by GM during wartime and modified an original intake to enhance the performance of the Flat Cad engines in the tanks built by GM for the war effort.

The initial intakes were cast iron, but the tooling also was used for non-ferrous alloys as was the CYCLONE heads. The tanks became lighter and dissipated heat more efficiently and garnered some HP.

Frank's son Barry Burrell continues this product to this day.

Jim McCaslin who has been a part of the COOK’S MACHINE WORKS legacy through 5 decades created a fuel injection intake for a Flathead rail that the shop ran into the 70’s but he altered his design to accept two 4 barrel carbs.
    We have a unmachined version still untouched from back then. It I don’t believe was an actual CYCLONE product, but more of a COOK’S -MCCASLIN Product.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Thrift-King

Thrift-King

Cyclone Kevin,

Would you happen to have any of the cast bits hanging around for a 226? That manifold you pictured looks great, but if its the last one; I'm sure you'll want to keep ahold of it. I'd really like to get that 10:1 head... haha

~TK~

victorsdaddy1 and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Not a whole bunch of the 6 stuff. Just what we had back the. If I had enough interest, I’d retool and make the heads and perhaps even the intake, but again it would be driven by a committed deposit and demand.
    CK.

victorsdaddy1 likes this.
  28. So your family owned the foundry? You're probably familiar with Bell Foundry? I think they only dealt in iron. In the late '70's I worked on their forklifts. I thought those foundry guys were monsters. That work seemed extremely hard to a 18 year old.....

29. victorsdaddy1

victorsdaddy1

Just came across this feed. I'm really interested in this head. I have a 226h I'm putting back together and I'm looking for anything that will help give it some pep. I'm near you I think. I'm in the IE

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk