Register now to get rid of these ads!

History CW's Bonneville Pics the WAYNE KOEPPE Collection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CW's40TPU, Apr 21, 2013.

1. [​IMG]
    Bill Burke Allied fibreglass sports car. It ran a C-T automotive Ardun which propelled the coupe to 167mph. Funny story, Robert Petersen bought a Cisitalia to show at the '52 Motorama. so Pete sent it to George Barris for paint job, Bill Burke saw the coupe and with the help of Mickey Thompson and George they pulled a mould off the Cisitalia and later offered it as a kit thru Allied Fiberglass. Petersen was not made aware of what happened until many years later.

2. one more of the ed Losinski Dragster, I think it was on the cover of HRM somewhere around '55-'56. Before his dragster Ed also built & raced a nice 29 Roadster on 32 rails, all his car were painted a nice metallic purple. I've been chasing his 29 for several years now, the roadster has been hidden in a garage in central California for about 50 years.

Here a couple photos of Ed's 29.

Attached Files:

Pufff likes this.
  3. Jimmy B........your the MAN!!!!
    Yes I did hear that same story many years ago.
    THANKS,
    Cw.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  4. NV rodr

NV rodr
    from Reno, NV

That was great....thanks for posting

5. more drags......

Attached Files:

Pufff likes this.
  6. That's it, I hope all enjoyed.........

Me on the salt in 54 with the Doug Rice 39 Coupe.

Attached Files:

Pufff and Stogy like this.
  7. Hyfire

Hyfire

Saved the best for last!

8. gyronaut

gyronaut

Bill Martin of Triumph Burbank. 500cc Thunderbird(?) engine. I think this may be the bike he sold to Bob Leppan around 1962 that Leppan and Jim Bruflodt took to Bonneville in 1963 when they met Alex Tremulis. A short while later and a crash during an exhbition run at Motor City Dragway (Detroit) began their Gyronaut X-1 project...

In any case, it was Martin's innovative front center-hub steering (where he took a rear sprung hub from a '52 Triumph Thunderbird, pulled out the sprung part, and added in a king pin) that enabled the Gyronaut to capture its records six years later.

INCREDIBLE PHOTOS AND HISTORY!!!

Pufff likes this.
  9. skywolf

skywolf

Fantastic photos !! Thanks for sharing.

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

WOWZA, great pix! I see that even by this time no one had figured out how to paint flames yet! The body and especially the chop on this white coupe is just fascinating. It makes so much sense to drop the back if the nose is raked down that I'm amazed more people didn't do it. Or will I loose my fantasy engineer badge for thinking that? I also really like the nose on the OFP coach, looks Indy style. Gary

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Here's a couple more I overlooked.......the Howard Johansen twin engine twin Tank.

Attached Files:

Pufff likes this.
  12. the La Blanc Streamliner out of the San Fran Bay area. Family friend Glen Pingry driving, the Liner blew a tire and flipped on this run going about 200mph, the car came apart and the biggest parts left were Glen still strapped in his aircraft bucket seat and the Hemi engine. Glen lost his left arm and was never the same after that crash. Glen had his own roadster on the salt but he wanted in the 2 Club so he jumped in LaBlanc's Liner hoping to go over 200...
    THE NEED FOR SPEED.........RIP GP.

Attached Files:

Pufff likes this.
  13. You come up with some of the greatest photos,Craig! I especially love the Studebakers...
    That twin-tank makes me think of the StarWars Pod Racers...

14. You should ask Lindsley if he has any old photos.

15. What a fabulous group of historical photos, makes you wonder were did some of
    these cars end up? Were they modified, used for parts in later versions, or are
    some out there still intact.

John

16. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Incredible photos. Thank you for posting them.

17. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Wow, what a great collection, thank you very much. I look forward to many hours of study.

All the best,
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

18. 296ardun

296ardun

Not certain, but think that this Bantam may be the Watson & Callahan coupe,l usually drag raced, they ran a Cad engine like this one, never knew it raced at Bonneville, anyone else???
    [​IMG]

19. deucemac

deucemac

Yep that's Fred's car for sure. Jim Lattin now owns it

20. This is the Bell Auto Parts "BELL AUTO RACING NEWS" all the results from the 1954 Bonneville meet......every year long time BAP employee Jot Horne put the racing results together and mailed out to their customers.

Attached Files:

Pufff likes this.
  21. CW, did you get my e-mail?

22. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Great collection, thanks for posting.

23. YES, I sent you a PM.......thanks Ron.

24. hasty

hasty

Wow, what a feast! What a fantastic collection of photographs. Thank you for sharing them

25. 296ardun

296ardun

Belmont Sanchez's Stude before he chopped it, as seen in the earlier set of pictures, think this might have been the version that ran Clarke Cagle's Ardun...later version ran unblown and later blown chrysler with the chop...I saw it in '59 at Bonneville, never forgot it....later the chopped version got upside down, forgot whether John Edmunds or Harold Hensel was driving, Dean Lowe remembers better than me...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  26. Just noticed the Ex So-Cal coupe in the above studebaker pic. At the time of that photo John Moxley owned the former So-cal coupe which he rebuilt into Miss 400.

Attached Files:

Pufff likes this.
  27. love the high clearance wheels on the back, seems there was a few with them back in the day.
    Al.

Attached Files:

28. Not trying to get off thread here, but I've attached a photo of my Studebaker when the Price's were running it. They had a set of Good Year Flight Eagles that were 18.5 X 9.0? X 36". They finally sold them to Al Teague because they could not get them balanced without having a set of wheels specially made. I don't know if Al ever used them.

Attached Files:

Pufff likes this.
  29. 296ardun

296ardun

Missed that, thanks, Jimmy, first time I have seen the 400 coupe in color (the center picture is after Dave DeLangton's fatal accident in the coupe at Pomona, when the exploding clutch cut the fuel tank and burned him badly; Alex sold the coupe after the accident and it returned to Bonneville under several owners)

30. 296ardun

296ardun

I think that this is Dick Guyettes' "Music Maker," streamlined lakester, ran a blown Olds...Dick was better known for his "Isky Clown" dragster, but I think he also build this car...slicks at Bonneville?? (I could be wrong on this--anyone else?

[​IMG]