Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage **CuznBrucie does the A-Bombers' "Old Style Weekend"**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cuznbrucie, Aug 12, 2011.

1. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Well, I have finally conquered the Jet Lag that has whacked me out the past few days since I got home again from Norway and Sweden......what a time I have had!!

My good friend, Paul (A-V8 Rider), from Sarpsborg, Norway had been my guest last year here in New Jersey and we had a really grand time......so the next logical thing was for me to head over to visit Paul and we went to the A-Bombers' Old Style Weekend together in his '29 A-V8 roadster.......

The best part of all of this is that Paul has been building this period perfect hot rod for almost 10 years and this run to Uddevalla, Sweden was going to be its shakedown cruise!

Last year As I was about to sell my Deuce Coopay, Paul was here and he took the *Last Ride* with me in it so it was only fitting that I return the favor and take the *First Ride* with him in his virgin roadster!!

After a few days of sightseeing and a wonderful cruise in Paul's boat down the fjord, we started to prepare the hot rod for its first run. The weather report didn't look very good for Friday so we made sure we had good rain gear......it turned out to be very useful!!

[​IMG]

Off we go on the great adventure!!

[​IMG]

We headed down the Route 118 towards Halden to meet up with a couple of other guys who would caravan down to the OSW with us......we're heading up the street toward the fort in Halden.....a magnificent sight......but we couldn't visit as it was closed for some bicycle rally people.....too bad...

[​IMG]

Passed a cool shop that sold American Fifties stuff......

[​IMG]

...and startled this pretty lady as we went by in a snarling flathead powered hot rod!! I think she liked it though....

[​IMG]

Soon we met up with another Norwegian guy, Auden, who was heading down in his really well preserved Model A Roadster......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Auden had his pretty lady, Elisabeth ridin' shotgun...

[​IMG]

So then we both headed out of town to meet up with another fellow who was going to caravan with us.....he is Paul's good friend, Oivind, who has a great European made '32 Ford Tudor......it was interesting to see the subtle differences in his car and the American made Deuce tudors.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the road again!

[​IMG]

Passing the border into Sweden!!!

[​IMG]

Naturally, we made a few rest stops along the way in the Swedish countryside.....looks like Pennsylvania!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally!!.....we roll into the grounds of this really cool hotel where Paul had booked us for the two nights of the OSW....

[​IMG]

We knew we were in the right place when we saw this!

[​IMG]

The place was right out of some old storybook type of setting.......check it out:

[​IMG]

More to come.....stay tuned......

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. What a great experience. Thanks for posting...looking forward to the rest.

3. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

nice....you know how to live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Now, we have to check out the amenities in this cool place overlooking Udevalla and Backamo where the OSW was happening!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So we found our room/suite? and started to get squared away with our provisions.....we ate our breakfasts in the room which was equipped with all the comforts of home! There was even a jar of instant Espresso in the victuals cabinet!

[​IMG]

Turns out that my internet friend of about 4-5 years, Niklas Pelin, made the journey from Aland, Finland and booked a room at the same place......we were finally to meet in person!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was great fun to share some of the time during the Old Style Weekend with Niklas and his lovely girlfriend, Asa........

Now it's time to head on over to the campground in Backamo about 10 minutes away.......by the way, did I mention that it rained lightly all the way down from Sarpsborg to Uddevalla? The rain gear was already earning its keep......

Let the games begin!!.......

[​IMG]

Pretty lady collected the entry fee......Paul paid.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We drove in with the lake pipes uncorked and with that killer cam in Paul's roadster we garnered our share of attention! Loud and nasty!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We've officially arrived!! The A-Bombers' Speed Division truck was there to greet us! ...and hot rods everywhere were a welcome sight!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We parked with many other cool roadsters for Friday evening.....

[​IMG]

One of Paul's close Swedish friends, Martin Flink, greeted us and he turned out to be a great person....we struck up a good friendship over the weekend.... Martin has a killer Blog here:

http://planetmotherfuckers.blogspot.com/

Bookmark that one....but don't let the kids see it!

More cars.......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come.....

6. bobo

bobo
    from New Jersey

As a buddy of mine says "your living life large" Thanks for the great shots, you must of had one hell of a great time.

7. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

wow cool story for your trip !! look's like ya had a good time with that smile on your face ! now that i think about it cuznBrucie always has a smile on his face !

8. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

Awesome!! Now that's one hell of a trip. Way to go!!

9. jipp

jipp

this is very cool.. iv always been fascinated by other cultures.. and how the cars effect each one.. its also cool to see they drive on the same side of the road as us.. i would fit right in i think.. man, all the womens.. think need to adopt a yank? heh.. rock on.
    chris.

10. What a cool trip Brucie!!! I'm jealous.

11. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

my buddy CuznBrucie---world traveler! Way cool man!

12. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Then I see the car that has impressed me for so many years when I have seen others' coverage of the OSW.......the Nick Matranga Merc clone that belongs to one of the founding members of the A-Bombers, Kent Vikmo, better known as Jack Baymoore with his rockabilly band The Bandits......they are one of Sweden's greatest bands and have played in the State many times including three times at Viva Las Vegas........Kent was one of the coolest and friendliest guys I have met.......what a great feeling I had as I met one hot rodder after another during the weekend.....they *ALL* made me feel so welcome!! I thank the A-Bombers and other weekend participants for making me feel right at home.......I can hardly express how nice all the people were.......

Here's me and Kent in the *stalls* as they call the vendor's booths....

[​IMG]

He is known as J.B. here on the HAMB.....check him out......and here's his custom '40 Merc.....

[​IMG]

More cars for now.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cute mommy taking care of her little hot rodder....

[​IMG]

And the drinking had begun!

[​IMG]

Some people......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I was introduced some of the A-Bombers......Hakan and another member were sitting on the tailgate of the club's truck so I joined them and we got on famously......Hakan is a writer for the premiere hot rod magazine in Scandinavia, called *GASOLINE*.....I hope that they might come out with an English version because I can't read that Swedish!! (Hakan on the left in the jaunty cap!)

[​IMG]

Then I had the time of my life.....I finally met another internet friend, Rolf Backevik, an absolutely wild man and a wonderful guy! He had been sending me photos and videos from his adventures with his very fast and cool Chrysler powered hot rod during the winter......meeting Rolf was a highlight of my weekend! Now we are great friends who have finally met in person.....and Rolf also had his very lovely wife with him, so I got to meet the woman who tries to keep this wild man under control!! I love you, Rolf....you're the best!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Upon my arrival at Paul's house earlier in the week, he presented me with a really killer welcome gift.....it was a copy of the new hot rod photography book called *Asphalt Telegraph* by Christer Ehrling.....he had also personally inscribed it to me with a warm message.....this is a book that you must check out and buy one!! I highly recommend that you check out Christer's profile here on the HAMB....his handle here is chrisman There's details how you can see a preview of the book and Christer's web address.........I enjoyed meeting him so much and we talked several times during the weekend....a really cool guy......and he has even been to New Jersey!!! How cool is that?? Me and Christer below:

[​IMG]

More cars.......this is right after the downpour around 8 o'clock!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  13. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

More people and cars, including Kent's Merc.....I want that car!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

even the A-Bombers need a break to eat some dinner.....these guys really work their asses off to put on one helluvan event!! Ii have to commend them on their success....they deserve it!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I met this really nice fellow from Sweden who runs a *Back to the Old Times* shop in Sweden with his wife......he was Sandro and his web address is: www.oltimeshornet.se Check it out....really cool....

[​IMG]

I think I want that Ford V-8 tattoo like his......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mo' to come.....

14. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Love it. Thanks Brucie. Slim

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Man I envy you Bruce!!!!!

16. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Trip of a lifetime, thanks for sharing!

17. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

On we go with more cars.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then I happened upon two really pretty and sexy ladies....Gunhelen and Ida......we hit it off really well and became friends right away......I was thinking about taking them home with me but I doubt that I could get them through Customs!! Really sweet ladies.....I enjoyed the hell out of getting to know them....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More cars.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Half way home.......

18. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Great photos and stories, thanks for sharing, Cuz!

I particularly love this car.....how on earth did they get it so loooooooow?!

[​IMG]

19. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

The first band went on around 9 PM and they really smoked the place!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I was wandering around soaking up the great vibe at this show I ran into one of the *WARHAWKS* from Gothenburg....Magnus Borjesson was one of the most intelligent and friendly guys I have met......I actually have communicated with his fellow Warhawk, Jonas Andersson for quite a few years but I had never met him.........he had a terrible cold and couldn't make it on Friday, but he tried to meet with me on Saturday after the hillclimb, but we seemed to keep crossfiring on the cell phones and we never did get to meet.......a real disappointment as Jonas is one of my favorite Swedish guys......these guys really know how to hot rod!

So I hung with Magnus many times during the weekend and enjoyed his company immensely......I hope I get to see him and to meet Jonas sometime in the future......good people!

[​IMG]

A roadster that really knocked me out belonged to Martin Flink, whose Blog I had mentioned a while back in this thread.....here's a few pics of his killer *period perfect* A-V8 roadster.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nighttime finally fell around 11 o'clock, believe it or not! The summers in Scandinavia have very long hours of daylight......conversely, the winter days are dark as hell......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mo' pics coming.....

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  20. Great pics Cuzz Thanks !!! >>>>.

21. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I'll let the photos do the talking for a while.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Be right back....

22. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

In addition to owning the killer Matranga Merc clone, Kent also has a really cool dry lakes style A-V8 roadster......here it is:

[​IMG]

More Saturday shots around the campground......I never saw so many tents in my life!!! These people are hard core!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mo' comin'.....

23. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

24. chaddilac

chaddilac

Man love the pic Cuz!!

25. 1beatnik

1beatnik
    from indiana

Great photos cuz....

26. You really have a talent with taking photos..(just like other photos I've seen that you took) GREAT PICTURES!!! Thank you!

27. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

More people.......I loved the people I met there.....ALL so nice and friendly......just a great experience to have been there......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul and I met this really cool fellow who goes by the name of Pig Iron here on the HAMB.......he was very friendly, intelligent and a real pleasure to hang with.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the dancing was really heating up on Saturday night......these couples must practice 23 hours a day they were so good......and mesmerizing to watch.....their moves were so fluid and exciting.....very cool......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went into the *stalls* to see what was for sale.....of course, I didn't buy much.....my US Dollars weren't worth a shit over there......trust me.....it is quite expensive to purchase stuff in Norway and Sweden.....hate to say it, but it's the truth........

[​IMG]

We bumped into Christer Ehrling again......"Buy his book!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You could even get a rockin' haircut at the OSW!!

[​IMG]

My new friend, Magnus again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And what would be the thing to do after a hard day at the OSW? Why, of course, you make a cup of espresso and something to eat back at the suite!

[​IMG]

More to come....

28. peter johnson

peter johnson

Absolutely awesome,enjoyed the pics mate!

29. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

Wow Cuz, what a great time/show/people/cars... wish I coulda made the trip with you! Great photos and descriptions of everything.

30. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Thanks a ton Cuzn B....very cool stuff.....the cars are spot on....and I really love the Pre '56...........YES!....keep 'em comin......