Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cutting window felt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chaos10meter, Jun 18, 2008.

1. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I did a search and really can't find any info on what to use to cut window channel felts ? Not the stuff with the SS edges just plain felt channel with the steel core or liner.
    I tried a test pc. with a thin cutoff wheel, that just really fuzzes up the edges, same for a new hacksaw blade.
    A tin snips maybe , what is best too use. It's too expensive to keep expermenting.

Help please.

Thanks.

2. old beet

old beet

Dykes, snip, snip, snip!

3. alchemy

alchemy

Are you talking about the U channels with the corrugated steel liner? I cut it about 1/2 inch long with tin snips, peel back the outer fabric layer, then trim the steel to exact size. Pull the fabric back to where it needs to be and glue the overlap to the backside so it won't come loose.

4. I just cut some the other day and I used a 3" x 1/16" cutoff wheel. I cut it kind of slowly so the heat of the cutoff wheel sort of melted the nylon cloth stuff instead of shredding it away, and it actually made a nice clean cut. I wrapped it in masking tape first at the cut line, so maybe that helped hold everything together.

Maybe try a practice cut out in the part that's going to wind up as scrap first to make sure it'll do a nice job before you make the real cut.

5. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Tried the tin snips and the 1/32" cut off wheel, much better.
    Now if I don't screw up the measuring end I'll be O.K.
    Thanks folks, really appreciated, looks a lot better.
    I learn something everyday, thanks to H.A.M.B. :D

6. Twisted6

Twisted6

I use tin snips even on U shaped snip down both side bend then Snip the rest.
    Snip snip snip Done :)