Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cutting up parts cars thread..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptop40, May 10, 2016.

1. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg all this effort for chop of the 39 madillac....more coming..stay tuned...

2. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

I cut up a Jaguar to salvage the suspension. Does that count? This part will get a fresh paint job and become a decoration on my shop wall:

[​IMG]

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Best one for me was a OT one for the HAMB, took it in as part payment on a kitchen remodeling job. Couldn't sell it, a running "collector car" for $500. After two weeks long before the internet, I took the doors, hood and trunk lid off, put a new blade in Mr. SawsAll and quartered it. Cleared about two grand on the parts. Best part was telling everyone they could have driven the lump home for $500.00. Bob

leadfootloon and ABONES like this.
  4. I helped a friend cut up a nice rust free 1937 Lincoln Zephyr 4 door about 25 years ago,he was moving and tried to sell it but there were no takers.

We cut it up and hauled it to the scrap yard,he did keep the grill for his coupe.

I get a little sick when I think about it now. HRP

5. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I like the sitting and rotting thread due to the possibility of saving them. This thread turns my stomach. Just because a car is too far gone for you doesn't mean somebody else wouldn't want a crack at it.

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

In 1975 I cut up a 58 Chrysler Imperial and hauled it off for scrap, after I got the 392.
    Same year I helped a friend cut up a 1964 Fairlane convertible.

7. stimpy

stimpy

I have cut up some but only after I made sure others know about it first I give 2 weeks , but most of mine I do cut are non title/registration cars that I have deemed not road worthy ( rusted out frames and floors and only a outer hulls or severly damaged in a accident , and if you junk them here you have to have a title for the state or it will be nothing but scrap metal ( because of stolen cars )

8. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

my list would really tick you'all off....
    like a 55 nomad roof chop
    39 chevy 2door sedan
    and on -n-on-n-on
    all (well er most) driver quality running until we got out the ax -n- saws
    i better QUIT before i get *banned from the HAMB*....:cool:

9. Rusty Tri fives. 2 door wagon, 2 door sedan, '56 4 door HT with padded dash, couple of 4 door sedans. Hell, the floor jacks are worth $100 apiece now. IN 1982 I junked a '69 Malibu 2 door HT that I drove home to get the 350 out of. Mom said it had to go!

*edit* - This may qualify as a confession session!

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  10. Dad got pissed about all the old fords on his property...........All in one day, 1965.....Junked 2, 50 ford 2 doors, one a crestliner.
    A cherry 41 ford 2 door and I had to give back a driving 40 ford 2 door sedan to the guy I bought it from.
    Kept my 56 Olds rag top because I was still making payments on it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. i'm picking up some sawzall blades to dissect this one real soon.
    IMG_6585.jpg

12. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Lets go back to the mid 60's and start with a 57 Chevy convert, a 55 Chevy 2dr sedan a 62 Nova convert. also a 66 Pontiac GTO. These were all great for stock car bodies. What were we thinking?

13. squirrel

squirrel

one of the Suburbans I cut up....

IMG_1457.JPG

14. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Having raced dirt track stock cars in my earlier years, the list is long. The worst was probably a 66 2+2 Mustang GT that we bought off a lot drove to the shop and gutted.
    The cars we cherish now used to make the best racers, '32 coupes were a favorite of the dirt track crowd back in the day.

15. File0549.jpg I was 17 when I bought a 1936 Dodge Brothers touring sedan parts car in order to replace the rear end gears in my 1936 DB driver. After stripping the car of what I thought were all of the good parts, I still had to get rid of that parts car. It was before I could afford any power tools, so I took a VERY sharp chisel and a hammer and cut it up into small enough pieces to fit in my 1957 Dodge pickup bed. Here is a photo of my old driver 1936 DB....

Ruben Cruz likes this.
  16. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Nothing wrong with taking a few sh*$ty cars and making one nice one.

17. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly , lots of parts on madillac were missing...the caddy I cut up was trashed , no floors , wood shot , no paperwork , flathead and trans found a new home and is going to be the drivetrain for a 35 dodge pickup.....amazingly the doors were solid...... image.jpg

59Apachegail likes this.
  18. southerncad

southerncad

Wasn't a parts car, rather a driving '77 cad seville, I used the front clip, engine, trans, rear end, steering column and seats....sold the rest to a scrapper.
    Does that count for cutting one up?:rolleyes:

19. About 13 years ago I parted out a 60 Olds flat-top (four door hardtop). The car was a driver and even titled. I still have the engine, trans and rearend, and the rest of the car got very parted out to help many 2 door 60 Olds vehicles. The only real issue with that flat-top was the very trashed interior, rest of it was good. At least it became a good donor and was was not just scrapped. BTW, not only did I get the drivetrain, I made about $1000 profit in the end of it all.

20. Tony

Tony

This is the only one i took pics of.
    Needed the floors for my 63 409 car..and as crazy as it was, the floors and frame were the only truly goos things on this.
    The rest was packed with screen ans glass.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

21. I think I win...

I just cut up a 32 and 34 ford frame for scrap yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G900T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tiny likes this.
  22. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost cut this one up , was in decent shape so wouldn't do it , went up north with new owner.. So when Madillac came up for grabs with the trashed parts car , well you know how it is..... image.jpg

23. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Madillac , here's what we're thinking image.jpg from this to this image.jpg without the extra roof parts , it's tricky..now it's just ..get busy...

24. No you didn't!!!!?

25. I did! They were bb chassis. 157 inch wheelbase 1 1/2 ton trucks. I saved the cabs.

Sent from my SM-G900T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. I have no issues cutting cars up, providing I am using or selling the parts to build other ones. 2 years ago I bought a 79 trans am for $200. Parted out the ta stuff to guys that build them and made about $5k and still ended up with a posi disc rear, a sub frame that a guy paid me to install in his 50s truck. The 403 in the ta was a dog, but in a t bucket (where I built it and sold it) it shit and get. The local muscle car guys were pissed, but the best offer I got for it whole was $2000. Even gave the shell to a guy who ended up building it into a drag car.

Nothing went to scrap, and several cars were completed because of it.

27. Exhale.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  28. 31Apickup

31Apickup

We've scrapped so many cars through the years I've lost count. Mostly just parts cars which were Michigan rust buckets. Got a 57 retractable for free, fell apart on the trailer home. My Dad used the 9", and we sold all of the retractable specific parts for $400.

29. Sonny and I went in together to buy this oddball 60 Pontiac star chief 2 door sedan. He wanted the pristine bumpers for his Ventura and I grabbed the 389 and all the manual tranny stuff....cut the rest up. Motor and clutch/bellhousing stuff went into a 56 Pontiac I had.
    60pontbellhousing1.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really diggin that crazy bell housing with inspection cover to boot!