Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cutting Coils

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Black_Sheep, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I'd like to drop the front end about 2" lower on the '58 (BBC/Nova front sub)

Is there a general rule of thumb for how much to cut off? 1/4 coil? Half? I understand it's a matter of trial and error but how do I get close on the first try without going too far? At what point does lowering the ride height hurt front end geometry?

2. slammed

slammed

Sneak up on it. You have the right idea. 3-4 from cut coil's gets rough.

3. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i think one might cut a full coil off so it fits back correct.
    my $.02

4. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On my mid 60's corvair, we took half a wrap at a time until we got it to the height we wanted. Cut the coil with a cut off wheel...........heat will weaken the spring

5. ErikHardy

ErikHardy

Cut the coil half as much as you want to drop the car. For your case cutting an inch off the coil should roughly drop the car 2 inches

6. badshifter

badshifter

Start with at least a half, better yet a full coil if you don't want to do it 3-4 times. Do both sides and check. If you do one at a time the un-cut side will still hold up the cut side. You should re-align it when you are done, and in theory as long you are within the originally designed range of motion you should be ok.

7. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I believe one end of the coil is flattened to fit the spring pocket (upper?) I'll have to go look at it again.

slammed when you say 3-4 you mean 3-4" right? Another 2" will get it down where I'd like it, the stock Nova spindles have already been replaced w/2" drop spindles but it's not quite low enough...

8. squirrel

squirrel

the first coil doesn't do as much as the next 1/2 coil...so sneak up on it.

I'd suggest one coil, then if you need more go 1/4 coil at a time.

and drive it for a week before you decide you need more!

9. shadams

shadams

10. My Experience has been, as a rule of thumb 1.5 to 2.0 inches for every coil. And any time you cut a spring expect at least half an inch of settling within a month's time. Both me and my dad have lowered cars this way. Also remember that the rate of drop seems to mutiply exponetially. So if one coil drops the car 2 inches expect two coils removed to drop the car 4.5 to 5 inches. This has been my experience.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  11. On another more experienced guys advice I took 1-3/4 out of all four coils on my 64 Impala wagon. This was perfect as it dropped it down but did not change the ride quality.

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

With my hydraulics set up, All four of my springs are cut in half. Then again I got a D+ in Geometry.

13. I cut two coils out of a '67 Nova wagon once & it put it on the ground. Didn't have much travel but I drove it daily for a long time.

On my El Camino I'm going with 2" dropepd spindles and plan to cut one coil. I'm hoping that will drop it about 4".

JH

14. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Hmmm....No English majors have chimed in to point out those are helical, NOT coil springs ??? Must be busy spray painting something flat black.

15. dirtydixon

dirtydixon