Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cutting Braided Stainless Tips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Offy, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Offy

Offy

I tried to shorten my headlight looms but could not get them back into the ferrels. I wrapped then in electrical tape and then shortened it with a cutoff wheel in my Dremel but it flaired out under the tape. I then tried a hack saw with worse results. I don't have but one or two more attempts before it's too short. Anybody have any ideas short of buying the rather expensive kits to get 'er done?

2. 40SLOPER

40SLOPER

I used to make stainless braided hoses for a living and i used fiberglass reinforced tape. you should be able to buy it at a good hobby shop

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I use electrical heat shrink tube on smaller diameter stuff

4. Offy

Offy

Two good suggestions. I have a roll of the filliment tape that I'll give a try with this evening. I've got plenty of heat shrink if the tape dosen't git it done. Thanks, Offy

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Guy on another list said he used super glue on the hose before he cut it. I tried it and it seemed to work.

6. Several wraps of 3/4" - 1" - masking tape and a cut-off saw work for me.

The local speed shop used to shear the stuff in a bench mounted shear.
    A little finagling to get the end round made for a good job.

If . . . you're using Russel braided line from a few years back - and maybe today as well - it doesn't work well.
    Ends flare out etc.
    I gave it a try when I bought some Russel at a close-out sale - now I know why - and went back to Earl's.

Earl's and Aeroquip work fine.

#6 & up is fairly easy to work with, #4 can be a pain.

You're not using Teflon lined braided hose are you?
    That stuff can be a total bitch to do....

7. Get yourself a NEW (sharp) wood chisel from HF (Chinamart) and "cleave" it, rather than cut it - Works great every time ...

8. 63necker

63necker

I used to make hoses for aircraft. Wrap the center of your cut with masking tape. Use a cut off wheel. A hacksaw or chisel wil give you a sloppy edge making it tough to get the end on. A cut off wheel will give you a clean edge.