Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cut Down BelAir Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Wanted to get rid of the muscle car steering wheel. Used a tubing roller to make up a 16" hoop. Cut up the cracks in the wheel, to be filled with the PC7. I shot some adhesion promoter, then primed it. I need a horn ring, still. I am going to 'minus' the rings portion, of it. So I'm not looking for a choice piece. Something I can cut up, for my 57. I'd like to finish it, once I have the piece to match it up to

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks great!

3. Thanks, looking forward to finishing it.

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

You could mold a V portion on in on the spokes to meet the center piece you already have, maybe even with a ribbed design in that portion or just smooth???
    Looks like you are talented enough to do it if you wanted to.

55/56 dash in a 57 is diffrent.

5. If I don't find something soon, I just might make something in its place. I think it should be chrome. Thanks for the good words.

6. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I like that !!
    Nice job, as well as great thinking!

7. Thanks. The first one always takes the longest.

8. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Very cool! Looks good! I'm curious to think if I'd notice not having the finger indentations on the back.

9. I don't think the indentations will make a difference. I've thought about a mold, to create the indentations. I would have to use a thin steel rod for the round frame, like the original, to be able to create those dimples.

10. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

I bought one of the 15" repop wheels from speedway.
    Still can't make the dang horn work ...I have an Ididit tilt column and have given up in frustration...5 or 6 times !
    Followed the instructions...bought the little kit Ididit says to use...cannot come up wth a combination that allows the horn ring to pivot.
    Also when I do get it close to what it feels like it MIGHT work....then the contact sticks..
    Any help .?
    Apologize in advance for hijacking the thread.
    Dave

11. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

J...
    I have a stocker....if you need the ring.its not cherry..so it sounds like what you need..
    I am heading to blythe next weekend
    I can drop it off on my way thru..
    Dave

12. I bought one when they first came out. It bled out and stained the yellow paint. They're not the greatest. That's why I made this one. I can't help with the horn. With both things being aftermarket parts, the odds are stacked against you. Maybe someone will have some advice.

13. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Yeah....55 dash in a 57 !

What is that current wheel ? Looks like a repop vette wheel..
    Dave

14. That would be cool. Let me know what's up, I'll buy it from you. Thanks!

15. Came out of a Buick if I remember correctly. With a Camaro horn button. Tired of it.

16. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Thanks..
    Let me know if you want that horn ring..
    Be thru there Friday...
    Racing in Blythe ..practice Friday night..racing Saturday.
    Dave

17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Looks like a old olds 442 wheel to me.

18. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Don't want to sell the ring...I will give it to you though....
    If you need it sooner I can mail it Monday..
    I send race car parts to LA all the time...you should have it by we'd..
    Pm me your address.

19. I'm north of the 10fwy at the 215 interchange. I can meet you right off the fwy on Friday.

20. Kenneth7614

Kenneth7614

you did a great job. but to me you did it the hard way. I have made 6 or 8 "smaller" wheels. I buy any s/w 15" or 16" at swapmeets. the uglier the better, they are cheap. then cut the bars out, take a nice wheel that you like, say 56 belair, cut the bars at the rim, grind back the cover to expose the rim metal just at the contact point of the new bars. weld them in and patch the damaged area. I use 2 part epoxy. sand to match finger grips on the back, then prime and paint.

21. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Ok..we can do that..
    Call me 831-262-7294
    I will put you in my phone and we can hook up Friday.
    Not sure yet how early I will head out..maybe we could grab lunch if you have time..
    I'm pretty familiar with the area around orange show ( race track...)

22. That is a great way to go about that. I would have to keep eyes peeled for old wheels like you said, at the swap meets. Which I don't actually go to anymore, now that my Dad passed away. Good idea, never the less

23. Just picked up some inter clear, getting ready to spray some mother of pearl, over this cream I mixed up

Attached Files:

24. I'm going to be looking out for the center horn piece also. By the time mines welded, polished and plated I could by one done. Layed down the pearl, then drowned it in clear.

Attached Files:

25. I have one of the early wheels, when they first started selling them. This is the reason I didn't buy another one, for the 57. I'm liking the thinner 16" hoop, over their fat 15. I don't run pwr string, either. I wonder if they've since fixed the issue of whatever's bleeding through?

Attached Files:

26. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

How refreshing in a world where everybody just buy a steering wheel with a credit card. Nice work.

27. Thanks. I figured the tools would be a better investment, than buying another wheel.

28. Dave Lewis, thank you for everything. Great meeting you. I bet this thing will polish up.

I was thinking since the wheel was going to be 16", that the ring itself would be in the way, but it's not. I am not sure if I'm going to cut it or not. So thanks again!

29. A pic

Attached Files:

30. Cleaned up well. When I redo the car, with bubble skirts, flat hood, chrome steel wheels, 57 Buick grill an a level stance. I'll probably cut down the horn ring. Till then it's good enough for me

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014