Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Custom Tubs please, here's one of mine from 1985 -Thanks to Rik Hoving for many of the custom tub pi

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by John Lee Williamson, Sep 10, 2017.

1. The 40 Chevy is a 41, not a 40. It's a car that never existed. The owner had every body style of 41 Chevy, and built this one to go with his 41 2 door convertible.

Atwater Mike and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  2. Thanks, for the correction, it's extra rare!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  3. socal34

socal34

4. Rikster

Rikster

I did this Christmas Card for a couple of years ago... seems appropriate here and now.

Holiday-Card-2015-J-Williamson-03.jpg

5. Thank You Rik, what a great card at a perfect time.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  6. Red Heinz classic 23 T Custom tub , chaneled in the rear only, still around today.
    [​IMG]

biggeorge and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  7. Excellent article on it in the current issue of Hot Rod Deluxe.
    HRD.jpg

biggeorge and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I was as taken with Red's T tub since I first saw it on the cover of HRM (1950)
    I had just 'inherited' my complete HRM collection in a Paper Drive, at age 11...this was in 1953.
    Mark "Morty" was so impressed with this car that he did a 'loose' tribute to it with his '27 tub...My tub's also a '27, but on Deuce rails.
    I saw Red's tub at a Billetproof run some years back, was amazed that it was the original car. Just amazing, this hobby. (addiction, more like)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    BigO and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Glad that you like my car. It is a convertible sedan... roll up windows. I have just agreed to trade this car for a 36 roadster AND a 36 PHAETON... more of a true "tub" to my way of thinking than the convertible sedan.
    I'm betting the HAMB is going to like them both. Flathead powered, old Ford trans and stock rear ends.. with hydraulics!
    Here's pic of the back of the phaeton as a teaser until we get the cars swapped around.
    pic9.jpg
    Thanks again for the kind words about my car. It is a beauty.

BigO, Atwater Mike, LBCD and 3 others like this.
  10. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found what I was looking for! A couple examples of '36 sedans turned into tubs. I recently made a deal on a '36 Ford slantback that I'd love to turn into a tub! Any more pictures of 2 door tub conversions?

11. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HPIM0584.JPG HPIM0568.JPG Here is one we built in the late 70's

biggeorge and Hamtown Al like this.
  12. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And we used and abused it too. purple train.jpg

biggeorge and Hamtown Al like this.
  13. 'Mo

'Mo

14. socal34

socal34

15. nice and rare 2 dr A tub, thanks.

16. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Really happy to see your tub coming along and to think it was just a basket case sitting with a bunch of my junk parts

Sancho likes this.
  17. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

15124917163002128136214.jpg

Bowtie Coupe and Sancho like this.
  18. Miguel, yes, thanks again for doing the swap of stuff and dough for the tub parts, took 5 yrs and it's a running and driving pretty good looking tub with a 40 delux front end. I have some picts but can't get them out of my camera and into my computer. When my daughter comes over I'll get her to help load them. John W.

Sancho likes this.
  19. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Here is a picture of my 33 phantom back in the day
    Can't wait to see them

20. A.J.S.

A.J.S.
    from LA

I remember John's Tub very well, My Packard Phaeton, 1935 IMG_5244.JPG

21. Thanks AJS, Stunning good looks, your car belongs here and now it is, running great since the engine rebuild. Tubs forever! JW

22. Custom chopped 39 Ford tub with 48 bumpers a bashed in rear fender racing the lakes, pict from Kustomrama
    [​IMG]

Sancho and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  23. 327 powered 39 Ford tub for sale on the web, ready to customize.
    [​IMG]

Sancho and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  24. More Ray Vega 38 Ford tub picts no top, top
    [​IMG]

stanlow69, LBCD, Sancho and 1 other person like this.
  25. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

As promised, here are a couple pics from "The Trade" that took place at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
    After a couple runs, my pal Bad Bob had the best lap times with his truck and trailer with a 36 roadster on an open trailer; I was the slowest with a 36 convertible sedan... in my box trailer!!:eek:
    Yeah, it is BS but still a good story!:D
    Back to the present. Early yesterday we took off with my convertible sedan in my box trailer following a pal that was pulling his empty trailer. At the same time a couple fellas in GA, down Atlanta way, did the same thing but both open trailers were loaded... one with a 36 roadster and the other with the 36 phaeton I teased about getting several posts above. We met at the Charlotte Motor Speedway which was almost EXACTLY half way between our garages.
    The VA gang also had an added pit crew(more about that later) made up of Shadow, Gene, and George.
    I think the GA boys outclassed us because they had ladies riding with each of the drivers!;)
    Nonetheless we met at the speedway at about the time we'd figured except we were about a half hour late due some brake issues with had with my dang suburban!:eek: Thankfully, the five of us managed to persuade the old suburban to limp along and complete the trip as planned... with some initial needed adjustment to the brake shoes on the passenger rear wheel and a stop every few hours to wet the brake drum down to cool it off!!:rolleyes:
    Of course that little situation amplified every other little noise and wiggle we felt in the truck for the rest of the trip!:eek:
    The hot rod gods were smiling on us and we eventually got home safe and sound... and not really much more than an hour or so later than if the brakes hadn't given us an unexpected "opportunity."
    I was a bit stressed and forgot about getting any pictures but thankfully one of the pit crew thought to grab a few pics of the event.
    IMG_0492.jpeg
    The incoming phaeton and the outgoing convertible sedan.
    The GA guys had the cars unloaded and ready for our inspection and test drive. Both cars were did fine for me as did the convertible sedan for them.
    IMG_0493.jpg
    This is about all of the roadster that got pictured but, hey, this thread is about tubs!:)
    IMG_0494.jpg
    I'm not sure what was going on here but did think it would be cool to show the Charlotte Motor Speedway sign even if the somewhat reluctant suburban of mine was in the shot. Speaking of shot, I must confess it crossed my mind a couple times to shoot the suburban and put it, and me!;), out of our misery when the brakes acted up!:D:D
    Sorry not more pictures to share but a big thanks to Gene for thinking to get these.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    LBCD and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  26. Al, Thanks for the 36 Fords update and picts, the hunt is the most fun, then drive around and see how the car fits you, hope your new 36 fits just right. JW

27. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I just moved the phaeton to my pal's shop for its first showing to the club members at tonight's meeting. After sitting in a cold trailer I got in it and pulled the choke a little and hit the starter and it fired right up. Happy Day!!
    I hope it is always like that. I backed out of my trailer and then drove it to my pal's building a couple miles away with no issues or surprises. It seemed a bit spunky, even in cold weather, so I suspect it has a 4.11 rear end. It drove well but want to check it over more. Of the two, the phaeton has seen the most attention and use over the last several years... that is probably why the wheel cylinder let go on the roadster... not enough use.:(
    Sorry didn't think to get new pics but will soon.
    I'm really disappointed that I can't get the roadster to the meeting but am afraid to risk driving it knowing that at least one wheel cylinder has failed. I'm still tempted but maybe age and the accompanying better judgement has finally kicked in for me... at 68!! I was hoping to remain a teenager, in my mind, forever.;)
    The pal with the building doesn't want me to touch it... not even the rotting rubber on the running boards. He says he hasn't seen a better candidate for a "patina special.":) I'm sure I'll get all kinds of advice from my club members tonight... they have never been bashful!:eek:
    Thanks for the kind words and good wishes.
    Al

28. Hit your club with "Where's yours" that usually works. JW