Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom Grill Options - Fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fairlane Dave, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

I'm getting ready to start the next round of body mods on the '57 Fairlane and have been thinking a lot about the grill.

Here's what is planned for right after the Roundup:
    1. Shave handles
    2. Remove side trim
    3. Fill antenna hole
    4. Remove hood ornament and other badging
    5. Suede coat body (not sure what color)
    6. Metal flake roof (not sure what color)
    7. New Grille

I've been looking at grill options and saw a place (JW Enterprise) that makes tube grills. I've always dug the chrome wide tube grills, like four or five 1/2" chrome tubes for the Fairlane. I've also kicked around making one out of something like an early Corvette with the big "teeth" on it or something similar.

In the pictures below, my ride is the flamed one. I found the pic of the blue Fairlane online with the 1/2" tube grill.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

old pic:
    [​IMG]

recent pic:
    [​IMG]

tube grill:
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. KIRK!

KIRK!

Tube or knobs.

3. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

If I were to ever build my '57 (probably going to sell to fund a 5w coupe) I'd be going with a tube grill as well.

4. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

here's a pic of my Ranchero with basically the same tube grille and '56 F-100 headlight rings. Of course I'm fond of the grille. I bought mine off ebay for around $300. I was able to sell the factory grille for $200 so it wasn't too bad of a deal. I've always thought a floating style grille would look good on these cars. I have the August 1962 issue of Custom Rodder that has a '58 Ranchero and it uses a '58 Dodge grille and bumper with Chevy mesh. If I can get it to scan I'll post that pic too.

[​IMG]

5. 54 chevy grill, desoto grill, 58 ford grille bumper, 58 buick, 59 Imperial, Studebaker hawk (believe it or not)
    There are a ton of them, I had once scanned and posted a Little books spread on 57 fordswith custom grilles and headlights all different. I look for it.

The glory tube grill or like the one posted above is more "mild custom" than anything, it's the easier of the bunch being a bolt on.
    Corvette teeth are a bit narrow and you'd need a much of cash for them all

6. 'Mo

'Mo

7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

There are lots of good grill options for the '57, many of which Abelugo mentioned. I'll add 56 Plymouth to the mix as well. 55 Desoto is amazing, but costs buku bucks. IMHO the stock grill is really nice

8. Gerg

Gerg

That 57 desoto grill is the cats ass

9. chopped

chopped

The classic tube. A grill for the ages.

10. Choptop

Choptop

54 Chevy grill

11. bigken

bigken

Dude - do what ya want, but leave the paint. It's classic. I dig it 'as-is'.........

12. leave the chrome surround on the stock grille you have now and insert a mesh screen with knobs, fairly easy and affordable with a great kustom look.

13. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

do anything you want... just leave the "underbite fangs" :D

14. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

I opted to leave the overriders on my bumpers. Gives it a bit of a different look. Overbite maybe, but hey we all can't have perfect teeth. ;)

[​IMG]

15. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

I just had an idea...
    Get some of the larger diameter chrome bullet center caps, tie them together with allthread covered with chrome or aluminum tubing between each one. I think the shape of the bullet caps would tie in with the over-riders on the bumpers, too.

Attached Files:

16. page 1
    BTW I'm not saying I like all these

Attached Files:

17. more

Attached Files:

18. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I have lways liked tube grills in '57s. They just have the right look. They fill up enough of the grill cavity and are such a subtle change from stock, most people wont even recognize. I'd have to pin '54 Chevy as my second fav.

19. Choptop

Choptop

20. tr12

tr12

the tube grills in these always look cool but everybody has em.ive never seen one filled with knobs but i think it would look awesome.my 2 cents,whatever thats worth.
    Troy

21. ElRancheroVasquez

ElRancheroVasquez

1958 Buick Grille?

[​IMG]

22. 'Mo

'Mo

Dave; Did you see this thread?
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2696014&posted=1#post2696014