Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom cars: The George Barris of Germany?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BeatnikPirate, Nov 19, 2011.

1. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Ever hear of Hermann Spohn? Neither did I until I stumbled upon some interesting information about American cars that he customized for U.S. servicemen stationed in Germany after W.W. 2.
    Starting with Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Packards. Chevys, Chryslers, Lincolns, etc.,many of his custom cars are strange looking, with exagerated tailfins and other G.M. concept car styling elements.
    Here's a few pics, and a couple links to more info on the "George Barris of Germany".
    Anyone here ever see one of these? There must be some still around.

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/?p=16468

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Spohn_Coachworks

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

3. CruZer

CruZer

Thanks. I never heard of Herrmann but like George, he built some nice cars and some butt ugly ones.

4. How long has it been since George Barris actually built a car? Just Curious.........

5. For a man in his eighties, I would guess it has been a while.

6. Ltorch

Ltorch

If this guy your talking about built alot of cars maybe you should have said the sam barris of germany if this guy took shit loads of pictures then id say hes the george barris of germany ..

7. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Did this guy claim credit for other people's work? :rolleyes:

8. brad chevy

brad chevy

Never cared for George Barris customs and this guys stuff even less. Good post but all the customs as they were called back then were just big bulky hunks,but to each his own.

9. codeblu

codeblu

Interesting. Despite what George may have done or not done, if it weren't for him alot of young custom guys out there would have had nothing to aspire to.....flame on..

10. F&J

F&J

George did more for the world of customs, than anyone... period. because: He is a master at promotion if you take time to study the old Barris pics on hamb.

He rules in my book.

11. Gees, a Spohn thread that I missed!
    It was the customer who designed the custom cars that Spohn Carosserie, Ravensburg, Germany, built in the early-mid '50s. Most of the customers were American pilots in occupied Germany and so most of the customs had the tail of the Harley Earl, GM Le Sabre 1951 concept car which was displayed in Europe. The flyboys liked it because it reminded them of their F-86 Sabrejets and the F-86 is where Earl almost surely got the Le Sabre name.
    Some of our jet jockeys didn't have great taste in designing cars and some did pretty well. Considering this was early '50s and they were away from home, I think they did OKAY.
    I own the green '52 Spohn Custom which was built from a '40 Ford. Found this year so it is unrestored.

Attached Files: