Register now to get rid of these ads!

Current Stromberg 97's Values

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PAracer, Mar 12, 2011.

1. PAracer

PAracer

I am in the market for a pair of 97's for my flathead. I have no experience with these carbs and did a search. I came up with this thread from 07. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183052&highlight=values+97

It contains some great information. With the post being 4 years old I am wondering if the values listed are still accurate? I'm looking for a set of matching rebuildable carbs. Logo's (large/small/no) are really no concern for me. Is there anything else that the previous thead did not cover that I should be looking for?

What should I be prepared to pay?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    PAracer

2. cavemag

cavemag

3. PAracer

PAracer

Thanks for the suggestion cavemag. I'll look around and see what I can find.

4. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I have picked up the 97s I have from various places, here, ebay, craigslist. I paid between $100 to 130 for each of mine. I picked up a car with a tri power and three large logos, so I was looking for more of those. The large logo seem to go for more money. I was also trying to get ones that were complete with the choke.

I have noticed that decent ones seem to consistently go on ebay for at 100 to 150 and the hammered ones don't go for much less than 80.

The no logo's and small logo's seem to go for less. And the ones without chokes don't really seem all that cheaper than completes, which kind of surprises me.

They are a very simple carb and very little to them. The ones I bought cleaned up really pretty nice with a 20 minute bath in an ultrasonic cleaner.

What I have learned though is to watch for messed up threads, that seems to be a problem. I have one that has bad threads into the inlet, another has issues with the threads on the bowl and into the jet plugs.

Another has thread that are suspect on the choke bolt.

Irony here, the carbs with issues are the ones that I started with, the ones I bought are in better shape.

Good luck.

RustyNCA

5. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Something is only new once. Add age and wear and rebuild and time. Which is cheaper? The new ones are starting to sound cheaper for long term value. Like the old saying "good, fast or cheap----pick any two" and see what you have left over. I beleive alot of parts are overpriced (myself included). The skill to rebuild, cost, parts, time, and you are starting with a worn out part to begin with. Quality new parts are worth it. Not that 97 stuff Speedway sells. You only have to do the right thing once. That is why after looking for a QC and finding overpriced junk, that I went the new route. It's right, right out of the box. I'm broke but happy. Good luck and happy hunting on your project.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

i have about $275-300 in 15 Stromberg Cores. I'd say most are 97's (only 2 small logos) and about 5 of them are 48's. But rebuilding them and getting all the right parts inside so they don't leak is going to cost me probably $150 each to rebuild. I hate that they are expensive.

7. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Be patient,don't buy cores with bad threads, missing parts,mis-matched parts. Understand the difference between the 97, 48, and 81. Just ask questions and know what you're buying. Still good 97's for under $100.00. Just bought a very good one 2 weeks ago for $60.00 on ebay, He miss spelled Stomerg...

8. When I can find them I don't sell them for less than $100, but if you are super patient and know where to look they can be had cheaper. That said, I haven't found any cheap ones in a long time.