Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Curbspeed Coupe. "Holy Hell" 10/4/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, Dec 19, 2010.

1. car is lookin good. the chop looks great! man it looks like its so nice and dry out your way. seems like the dew point stays above 75% where i live.

2. Just a friendly btt, anything happening on the 34?

3. Was hoping to see if any updates on the 34 ? Thought I would check in on this !! We are waiting buddy ! Hope all is well.

4. I have been working on my house. Painting. I hate painting. Nothing to update. Will get back on it soon. I have been working on steering and seating some though. Will post some pics when it gets interesting. Thanks for the boost Roberto. I think I will go work on something tonight.

5. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

looking forward to it.

6. sweet !

7. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Loving the way this is coming together. Chop looks prefect!!

8. I did something positive. I chopped down the legs on my Beech seats. They were too tall. I will make them fully adjustable. I will be building a seat frame and adding the Speedway Universal seat track that they sell. i will order this week. These will get full padding that looks right with a bolster and a seat back. I will be getting my F-1 steering box flange tig welded up this week. Working on shock tower brackets tomorrow as well. Here is couple pics of the aircraft seats. Nothing major but something.

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      320.3 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      312.6 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      304.1 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      300.4 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      329.9 KB
      Views:
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  9. Here is what I am thinking about for an idea for seat covers. I stole this from somewhere here and liked it. Looks old and very cool. I like it a lot and it looks very easy to take out and clean if necessary.

Attached Files:

10. bonesy

bonesy

Great looking seats, I dig your upholstery plans too.

11. seats look great, ive always liked foose's P-32 seats even though they are mix matched
    [​IMG]

12. Thanks for posting those. I like the edges of the seat exposed so you can see that they are vintage aircraft seats. Looking forward to installing them in the car. I have acquired an original pair of NOS aircraft lapbelts from the early 50's . They have never been even out of the box for over 60 years. They are awesome.
    I worked on my shock mounts for the front of the car today. I still need to make the mouting plates for them. I plan on having them bolt on intead of welding them on. They will be chromed. I copied the hairpinmounts in design for these. Here are a few pics of todays progress.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  13. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I just finished putting the Speedway tracks in my coupe and it worked out great. I'd recommend the mounting plates too. They needed to be trimmed but the holes we're exactly matched to the ones on the tracks. I'm not good at drilling square holes either. What kind of Beech did those seats come from Dale?

14. Duggy, According to 3W Larry they came out of a 30's era Beech 18, I think he said. Other than that I know nothing(Sargent Shultz voice). I think they are better looking than many of the other bomber seats. These don't have the shelf behind your ass for the parachute. Also the profile on the tops is more eye appealing to me. I plan on making a rollbar for this car as well. The tops will mimic the rollbar and look good in the car. Hope all is going well my friend. We should talk soon. Dale

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Those seats came from the passenger compartment on a Beech 18 and are really comfortable...still patiently waiting for you to finish them...;)

...also...how tall are they now?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Okay, that explains it.

17. Danshotrod

Danshotrod

Ok so what exactly is a Beech 18. What type of aircraft..Dan

18. According to the resident professor of vintage aircraft parts 3W Larry they came out of a plane like these. I have yet to find a picture of the seats in the plane that look the same. I know they are old though and suit my purpose. Here are a couple of pictures I borrowed from an internet search.

Attached Files:

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

hereyago...Beech 18 Cabin seats...

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ask and ye shall receive? Or sompthin' like that...

21. Thanks Larry, Cool. That a good picture of them in the plane. Any idea of the exact year and model of plane? I saw that they have some different designations on models.

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I haven't studied all the history of the plane other than they were first made in 1937. I don't know what year your seats are. They made 32 variants of the model and produced something like 9000-10,000 planes.

23. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

how tall are your seats now?

24. They are 27 inches now Larry, I needed to chop them down as much as i could because of the heavy chop on the lid. The seats could not be cut down any more than this beacuse of a structural stringer on the bottom of the seat. I did not want to start taking out rivets and leaving unfilled holes. By the time I get the seat frame support and sliders for adjustment I think they should be just about right. I am considering having the seats powdercoated. I thought about polishing them than the idea of doing that seemed like a royal pain in the ass.

25. Those seats will look "tits" Dale !!!! some updates ! Yeah ! I need to come see that 34 in person really soon !!!! Since I sold my Crestliner steering wheel... HMM plane ticket ?

26. Rob, You should come to my house for Thanksgiving!!

27. I was able to pick up my repaired inner splash aprons from master metalshaper Al Swedberg today. I looked for a replacement set for quite a long time to no avail. I was able to get the repairs and modifications done cheaper than a new set from SAR. I am happy with how they turned out. Al has done a lot of great work for guys in the NW. He is highly skilled and has all the right tools to get the job done. I don't. He added a tail to the rear of each one and filled all unnecessary holes that you don't need for a highboy. The triangle piece added fills in an unsightly gap between the body and frame. You'll see once I get them metal finished for chroming and get them mocked up. These will look super when installed. 33-34 guys will see the differences.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  28. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I'm liking the sound of that. :)
    it's looking good!

29. slobroy

slobroy

Just saw this build,awsome doesn't describe it, took about an hour to breeze through the two years of build. Subscribed.

30. I'm glad you are enjoying my work so far. I am really slow and probably overthink this stuff. I know I never seem to take the easy route that's for sure. But I want a nice car and not some clapped out rotrod.