Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Cupholders/Console Chrome Plated too!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Da Tinman, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Inspired by this post,,,,

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7770718&postcount=2

I put myself on a mission at the Rust Revival to find something to make a console/cupholder for the wifes Buick.

While walking thru the swap meet I spy a 58 chevy marker light housing and immediately knew what its future would hold. Got it for ten bucks, bullet hole and all. When I showed the seller what it was going to be he replied "I love you rat rodders, you got some crazy ideas". Uh,,,,, thanks?

Here's how it turned out.

[​IMG]

I notched the leg that connects to the fin trim to hold a voltage regulator cover, rounded the corners and made some brackets to hold it in place. (you'll see that better down below) I trimmed the flange around the cover back a bit and folded it the rest of the way over so there wouldn't be any sharp edges.

In the background you can see a photo/pen holder from staples, the inner part is just about perfectly sized to fit the lens opening. Once they were shortened up and taped back together they fit pretty snug. These are fairly big in diameter but I always use a can cozy so it wont flop around.

I ended up driving all over town and taking the housing into any store that I thought might have something that would fit. I could have made inserts but what the hell. Once I found these I walked up to the counter and set the housing down along with the pen holders, dude behind the counter scans the holders and picks up the housing, turns it over and says theres no tag on this. Yeah,, unless you sell 58 Chevy parts here your not going to find one. If you do have these in stock I'll take one..... He laughed.

[​IMG]

I added a 12 volt outlet to the other side as well, so you can charge a cell phone while still listening to the ipod thats plugged into the factory lighter.

[​IMG]

I cut the mounting stems down a bit and drilled/tapped them, made some straps to bolt it down with. You can also see how the VR cover is held in place.

Here is it done and mounted,,, yeah carpets are a mess but its a droptop and we drive the crap out of it, leaves and dirt are probably gonna be a permanent fixture....

[​IMG]

Hopefully this will inspire some copying!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  2. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

I like it , it's cool.

3. very creative!

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

You crazy ratrodders...

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

That is f^%*n cool.
    Caddie taillights on aisle 9.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ingenius! Way ta use the ole' noggin'!

8. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Well, that didn't take long...

9. lukey

lukey

Flippin genious!!!!!!

-LUKEY-

10. Diggin it. One more thing on my swapmeet list. THANKS!!

11. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

I have a couple of sets of these running light housings if anyone wants them I'll see how many I have.?.

12. Zeke

Zeke

Too cool..... I hate you! :p

13. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

Thinking is not overrated....good job!

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Now thats a great idea. blending in with its surroundings..it was ment to be

15. And I been using the roll of duct tape.....I stopped drinking and driving when I spilled my last shake.

16. Tin Can

Tin Can

Great cup holder design. Ive been thinking about ideas for cupholders for my current project.

17. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

I think its a 1958 chevy turn signal housing?.? someone correct me if I'm wrong..

18. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

yep, just looked. The guy I got it off of said caddy and I never really checked. Thanks for the correction and thanks for the compliments!

Now get in the shop and make something like it haha!