Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ct. Members new composite vechile laws

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leon renaud, Nov 25, 2008.

1. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

CT DMV Emissions Change Hope this link works got it from a different site.
    Looks like we just got a royal screwing!I haven't confirmed but was told this law will apply to any engine swap V8s10 or what ever.I don't know if it's too late to fight this now that it's inplace

2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

looks like youll have to keep an older engine laying around and swap it out after inspection to me... a minor inconvenience

3. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Hay Leon,

Just like oilslinger53 says you got have an older engine to swap out.
    You got to play the game. Where Hot Rodders we should know how to play the game if we don't we should not be playing.
    Ct was always hard on composites.

Here is what CT, DMV says.

Effective August 1, 2008 all composite vehicles (except motorcycles) presented for a composite inspection will be required to be equipped with the following emissions systems based on the year of manufacture of the engine used in construction.

Emissions controls must match the year of the engine used in the composite vehicle. Documented proof of engine year must be provided by the applicant. This information will be verified for accuracy and the presence of all required components will be verified during the inspection.

Note: This requirement will not apply to vehicles with engines purchased prior to August 1, 2008. Documented proof of engine year and purchase date must still be provided at time of inspection.

All Light Duty Vehicles with Gasoline Engines were equipped with the controls indicated below (Lt. Duty = below 6001 lbs GVWR till 1978 & below 8501 lbs GVWR after):

Year of Engine Emissions Controls Required of All Vehicles That Year

Pre - 1966 None

1966 - 1970 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor

1971 – 1978 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, and Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System

1979 – 1988 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System, and CAT

1989 – 1995 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, CAT, Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensor

1996 – current PCV, Electronic Spark Control, Evap. Canister, CAT, Closed Loop Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensors, Fuel Injection

All Medium Duty Vehicles (under 10,001 lbs GVWR but greater than Lt. Duty till 2004 then under 14,001 but greater than Lt. Duty) with Gasoline Engine were equipped with the controls indicated below:

Pre - 1966 None

1966 – 1979 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor

1980 – 1984 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, and Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System

1985 – 1992 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System

1993 – 2004 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, CAT, Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensor

2005 – current PCV, Electronic Spark Control, Evap. Canister, CAT, Closed Loop Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensors, Fuel Injection

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  4. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

What's a 'composite vehicle'? How do they know that a motor was swapped into a car already registered as its year and make?

5. That is pretty much how the engine swap game in Ca is. The emissions equipment must meet the year of the engine put in. However the engine put in has to be same year or NEWER, not the other way.

It seems most pre 66 vehicles do not have to meet this requirement. That seems to cover all hot rods and customs. A little hurt for the muscle car guys. If you are worried about 80's car swaps, I can't help you, except be ready for doing the switcheroo for every inspection.

Or just pay to get it handled like everyone else does..:cool:

6. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

a composite vehicle is a fiberglass plastic or any kind of "kit", or non manufactured car, or anything that requires you to title it as a new build ....glass drivers; dont yell at me for including kit cars, i know alot of work goes into a glass rod and its not a kit.

7. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

technically a Model A with a v-8 engine in the state of Ct. is a composite vehicle. Like Cal. the engine swap can't be older into new. based on the engines emission equipment you could be doing a yearly engine swap for the emissions test.

8. According to what I read above, a Model A would have no requirements for emissions.
    Are they inspecting all cars to make sure they have original equipment?
    If so, that could suck for some guys. Example, a SBC with TPI in a Model A.
    Would he have to follow the emissions for a 1989 engine, or is a 1930 vehicle exempt from all emission checks?

Here anything 1975 or older has no inspection of any kind.

9. ,,,Another reason to get out of that place,,,I left in1967,,,,,,,

10. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

the V8 in a car not origionaly available with a V8 would be a red flag to DMV
    could be a mini truck etc.The Engines must meet every standard for the year of engine production all emissions fittings for that year must be in place right down to the factory air filter.Now this is only my interpratation from here on but I'm betting that these cars will have to be tested again on the schedule for the engine year some cars here are yearly and some are every 2 years .A 2005 car would test every 2 years while a 1975 would test yearly.So I'm guessing that a Model A or T with a 2oo5 engine would need to be retested every 2 years and one with a 1975 would get tested every year and that you can't get away with putting a 56 SBC in a 90 s10 The swapped engine must be an upgrade to a newer one. I should be fine both my engines are earlies.I have an old version but Ct.has a manual of about 15 pages regulating what they consider "composite Vehicles"I'm wondering how this applies to Total Performance that is considered a "New Car"manufacturer in Ct.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  11. Pretty much most SBCs look the same. How do they know the difference between a '58 block and a '76 block? Particularly if you're handy with a grinder before the assembly and paint processes?

12. olskool53

olskool53
    from CT

What does this mean? What kind of documentation? Seems vague to me. Just another BS CT law!

13. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

Just move to Minnesota, the rules are still there but no testing or inspections, virtually impossible to get caught