Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cruising returns to Van Nuys Blvd

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vncruiser, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ah yes. Route 66.....Cocktails and Buffalo Wings:D

2. Idol Racing Service

Idol Racing Service

An Open Letter to the H.A.M.B. Community:

First of all, I would like to apologize as I was not aware that this is a pre-1964 site. I do sincerely apologize! It is purely my fault, as I did not think to research it. How stupid and short-minded of me. I have had pre-1964 vehicles in the past but I do not currently own one.

I got involved with this site after the first cruise, as I wanted to stay in tune with the progression of things. Also, I believe, that I as well as many others, are sitting on pins and needles, in hope that something and/or someone doesn't ruin this.

This whole thing is bigger than any single one of us, and quite frankly, bigger than all of us as a whole.

Years ago, I was a Pontiac only individual. I eventually transgressed into a Ford only guy. As time has transpired, that turned into a Muscle car only fan, to finally reach the point, where I am now an American car only fan. We need to realize that it is us against them. ("Them" being foriegn auto manufactuers). More parts need to be manufacturered here, on US soil. I still whole-heartedly believe that the strength of American Industry, and America itself, is second to none!!! No one country in the world comes even close. The only reasons that we are in the position of which we are, is greed and self-destruction. The enemies of American Industry are within, not out. The same could hold true with this cruise. Let us not be our own worst enemy!

I would thoroughly enjoy hearing street racing stories from days gone by. Got'Cha, tell us all about it. (Seriously, no joking). It is the older guys that I looked up to as a kid, that inspired me (along with car movies), to get involved in crusing and drag racing. My sister and my brother-in-law, both, cruised Van Nuys in the mid-sixties. My brother-in-law street raced his Dodge R/T.

I sincerely hope for the following:

1) That the arguments do not lead to competition between individuals and/or boycotts.

2) That the Rydell lot does not turn into a food court and swap meet. (This excludes the VNCA shirts, as that is to generate money to cover the needs and expenses of the event/s).

3) That we don't get an over-abundance of cruises, so that we get small attendance at each one, instead of large crowds (at one monthly cruise).

4: That people contain themselves when cruising and respect other's property by showing a strong relunctency to litter, followed an compelling desire to pick up trash and dispose of it properly, if and when they find it.

A friend of mine at a Wesy Valley cruise heard a rumor last night. It is about a petition going around to shut the cruise down. Let me be the first to say, that I find this to be utterly preposterous, and that I don't believe it (as neither does he), to be the least bit true. However, rumors will abide, and people will come out of the wood work with fanatical ideas and suggestions. If this had been an organized event by the city of LA, it would have outright sucked!!! What makes it work is the fact that it isn't organized by the powers that be. Less is more...Period! Over-government is killing this nation, and we, as Van Nuys cruisers may kill our one last great hope of living our dreams.....

Sincerely,
    Rob

PS: Got'cha, I am waiting for those stories. Peace Dude!

3. Idol Racing Service

Idol Racing Service

Easy does it Rikki King.....

:) j/k

I'll be at Route 66 too.

4. I'll go out on a limb here and say that although post 64 cars are not appropriate to the HAMB, many are appropriate to what's going on with the cruising Van Nuys thing that's been going so freakin well. That being said, I can only guess that Ryan and the moderators might agree, and let it be OK on this thread

5. Bash

Bash

I agree. Cruising Van Nuys Blvd. isn't limited to only pre-65 cars. It wasn't then, or now either.

6. alanrw

alanrw
    from SoCal

Who would be circulating a petition to halt the cruise? Certainly not the merchants or the cruisers.

I would think the impact on the surrounding residential area is minimal.

alan

7. if we all agree to buy gas on the Blvd and food on the Blvd then the local merchants will certainly be impressed as shit to have us. So why would anybody ask us to leave? I gotta believe that the local businesses there had to be wishing that we would come back soon.

8. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Navymailman, thanks for the sweet pic of my silver & black 55 Belair getting ready to make the right turn into the Rydell lot! Even caught it when the direction signal was on.

9. hey Ried, can't you + Bash kiss and make up?

10. I would suspect that eventually, the houses right behind the Rydell lot may complain of some noise issues. The guy with the "monster' looking black truck with tunnel ram was blowin some pretty loud, unnecessary music for a little while. I'm not saying HE will be a problem...but it surely WILL be possible at some point. Those 50 or so rice bikes, revving up for no fucking reason AT MIDNITE sure might do it as well

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry fellas... I had no idea there was all this drama in the thread. I'm gonna sit down and go through it tomorrow... I'll bann the folks responsible. Back to civilized behavior...

Update:

Got'Cha is no longer with us... Man, you fellas need to report drama... I never would have let that go this long.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  12. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

CRUISING DOWN DA BLVD what a PRIVLEDG were happy if they will let us get together in a steady parking lot. Nice to see all the pics (well not all the pics VW Bug whats up with that) Just hope that a few DisRESPECTFUL PUNKS Dont ruin for the rest of ya. Is that what uncle JED ment telling JETHRO "California is the place to be"

13. I want to apologize to GOTCHA, I know we exchanged words but I don't want this thread to become a bashing fest. There's no need for it. So sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Robert

14. When R U leavin for RF?

15. mzchevelle

mzchevelle

<TABLE class=tborder id=post cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_ style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid">Post Deleted on
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Hi mzchevelle,

The post that you created in the following thread has been deleted

================================================== ========================
    Post ID:

16. oldbutstillyoung

oldbutstillyoung

COOL DOWN KIDS A LITTLE TONGUE IN CHEEK was a Bellflower ,North Long Beach ,Downey guy in the late fifteys so not to up on your city cruising go back to post 1149 8 photos down and look real close tell me how you cruise down that street?

17. mzchevelle

mzchevelle

God, I'd PAY to see that!
    LOL!

18. At the slight risk of starting any BS....WTF are you trying to say???????

19. mzchevelle

mzchevelle

This is shocking to hear.

I was at the Rodfather's picnic today and everyone that was there talks about re-cruising VNB with stars in their eyes and can't talk about these cruises without smiling, because as one of the 70's cruisers, I know how fun it was back then.

Also, this was the talk at Route 66 last night. Taking back the boulevard has re-ignited some of those wonderful teenage memories that we thought were gone forever. I've heard nothing but positive comments about these organized cruises and I would really be surprised if this wasn't some sick rumor about a petition.

BTW - Although pre-'64 cars were scarce on the blvd in the late 70's, the 60's and early 70's muscle cars were plentiful. All cars contributed to the history of VNB. It wasn't how cute you were or how good you looked, but how FAST your car went! LOL!

21. elrobo818

elrobo818

yes moving on!...

NEXT CRUISE! AUGUST 12TH 2009!!!

AND EVERY SECOND WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH!!!

22. Unless the Van Nuys cruise is being considered a HAMB event, then who cares what year vehicle you are cruisin. Van Nuys was about the cruisin, people meeting people and cars, there was never a year break on the blvd. Heck, a good 1/2 of Rydell's lot was post '64.

Heck, in the 70's the cute chicks were driving imports mommy & daddy bought them as a first car..

23. elrobo818

elrobo818

[​IMG]

ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THIS PICTURE???

BECAUSE THERES SO MANY RED LIGHTS???....

???????

THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST PICTURES I'VE SEEN!!!

24. mzchevelle

mzchevelle

25. lownslow

lownslow

true bob . but i think the deal on here is don't post the pix of the muscle cars etc from the cruise . since they do not belong on here .
    i am gonna try to make it out to the next one . i will admit i did not think it would be as big and as successful as it is . i was WAY WRONG. then i fucked up and missed the last one . glad to see cruising back .

26. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Mr Beck is indeed correct, There never was a cut off for what type of car cruised the BLVD. In 75-76, All I saw was a sea of vans with names like Hi-Way Star. Those aren't era correct for the HAMB if they are post 64,Many of them were 65-76's, but it's history and that's what most people are here for.
    The Van Nuys Cruise is definitely cool, I'm glad that it is a happening thing again.

27. Hey. Muscle cars or Hot Rods, they all belong on the Blvd so stop whining already. Just shut up + cruise.

28. oldbutstillyoung

oldbutstillyoung

elrobo818
    BINGO
    definition of tongue in cheek=having a little fun
    all lights are red but one= parking lot?
    sleep tight boys

29. elrobo818

elrobo818

parking lot???? not at all!... you should come down and check out the next cruise to see how it all goes down!

30. michael_cini

michael_cini

hey! Tonys18T, thanks for that pic of my car.

navymailman - you know we were just bustin' your you-know-what's right (we gotta watch our language now, right?)?? thanks for all the pics, they were really quality!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.