Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Crossfire Distributor cap needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Vette, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

Does anyone have a Crossfire Distributor cap for a pre-HEI Chevy distributor or a lead on where to get one?

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Had never heard of one til I saw this and looked it up.
    ...or actually the only one I ever heard of that could have been called that was a cracked,wet or lines drawn in one with a lead pencil :D

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Originally concieved by Mark Madson of Clinton Wisconsin.

4. Was'nt that a one year engine '82?Might ck corvette owners clubs-you probably did that.

5. Pardon my ignorance . What's a crossfire ? I googled it and it talks about Chrysler cars.

6. it was a distributor cap that had internal connections inside the cap so all the wires for the left bank were on the left side of the cap , and the right bank wires were on the right side of the cap.cleaned up the wire routing

like this: http://www.crossfiredistributorcaps.com/c2/c4/crossfire-distributor-cap-p1.html

googling them i see they are now only available for the GM HEI , but at one time i'm sure you could get one for a old points distributor

7. aaggie

aaggie

I think he is talking about the Crossfire intake setup that Chevy tried. It looked like the staggered dual four barrel intake on the early 302SBC but they used two throttle bodies instead of carburators. Lots of problems, even the name gave you mental images of trouble.

8. i thought he was talking about the distributor cap , i guess the OP will have to come back and clarify

9. Since the OP mentioned HEI, I think he is looking for a pre 1974 distributor cap.

10. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

As I remember, he had quite a mailbox......I think DUI sells a "reprogrammed" cap for HEI now....

11. 55willys

55willys

I place the #1 and 2 plug wires at the front of the distributor and cross those wires behind the distributer and also the two in the back this makes a very clean set up with no need for special parts. I get comments all the time on how nice my plug wire routing looks from the customers who get them done here. I have even had them ask me to do it instead of doing it themselves when they have the ability to do so.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  12. The pre hei caps have vertical terminals with straight boots- not a big deal to cross to the other side of the cap on those.

The Hei caps use 90 terminals and there you need an extra Foot of wire to get it to the opposite side of the cap.

13. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

I have a new one for a 350 sbc HEI. $30 plus shipping. Pix to your email.

willysmonger likes this.
  14. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

I believe Madson came out with the aftermarket cross fire cap and it worked well with no quality problems. Then I think the China import clones hit the shores at significantly lower price but also significantly lower reliability and ruined the market with their bad rep.

15. 55willys

55willys

I use the 90 degree boots on either set up, small or large hei cap. I use cut to fit Taylor plug wires. I will get some pictures next time one comes in to the shop.

16. Moroso sold a "Correct A Cap in the 80's and late 90's if that's what you are referring to. Left half of the cap directed number 1, 3 ,5 and 7 to the left bank and 2, 4, 6 and 8 came off the other half. Looked trick but....................................
    It went away quietly.
    I had one and it wobbled side to side on the distributor housing when my engine was running. Moroso took it back and refunded my money. Some problem with whoever cast it.

17. Something like this I'd imagine.

image.jpg

Patiently waiting :)

This looks like ass with 90* boots so,,,
    I run #3 with #5 then cross 3 under the back of the dizzy & #2 with #4 then cross 2 under the front of the dizzy.
    image.jpg

18. 55willys

55willys

The first picture is the one I use, all my plug wires drop down the side like they do on the shielded systems that they used on the early Corvette's. Most of the cars I do have ramhorns on them so the plug wires come up from underneath. I also use the proper clip's and brackets screwed to the block. I would never run plug wires over the valve covers. Even with the later exhaust manifolds I run them around the back and attach the clips to the lower valve cover bolts.

19. Been running a crossfire cap on mine for 20 years. Same cap & still looks & works fine. cross fire was established in Sharpsville Pa from what I have found.
    Crossfire Mfg.
    116-B N.Mercer Ave.
    PO box 263
    Sharpsville, PA 16150
    1-800-4583478

Attached Files:

20. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

21. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

As the OP I was referring to the Madsen cap for pre-'74 Chevies.
    The Sharpsville address is dead. Madsen may have made them there before he sold out the rights to Queen's Automotive in Macungie, PA.
    I believe Queen's had some of the earlier caps that they got from Madsen but they never produced the early cap. They are still making the HEI version.
    This cap is for a friend's car.

22. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I may have one, let me look and I will repost.

23. squirrel

squirrel

I found a picture of the Moroso cap, interesting. MSD currently makes a similar cap, but for their own billet electronic distributor. Not likely to work with points...

[​IMG]

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  24. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Mine is a HEI, sorry.

25. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

if you LQQK inside one could atempt to make your own...
    wire-n- epoxie as i recall we did some around 1971/72...:cool:

26. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

Been looking for one of these for years....if anybody finds em, let us know. HEI yes, but early style, not available.....one of you young bucks could make some bucks if you make these.

27. Are you wanting a small cap with external coil? I have the large cap with internal coil.

28. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Commonly referred to as Cease Fire !!