Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cross steer pitman arm

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ramrod2624, Aug 9, 2018.

1. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

ok I need to replace the pitman arm on a 59 Willy’s
    Attached are pictures of the arm I want to use. You will see how the tie rods are not parallel
    So I am looking at options
    Bend the arm to bring it closer to parallel,
    Or can I move the tie rod end up to the top of the pitman arm, this may bring it closer in line . In order to do this I would also need to flip the pitman arm as the hole is tapered.
    Or get a new pitman arm that is straight like the one I’m replacing

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. i don't think you can flip the pitman arm, most have tapered splines. i'd put the tie rod end on top of the arm. not a big deal to re-taper it , any machine shop should be able to do it

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Move it to the top.. You can taper halfway down from the top and you should be alright.. They make aftermarket arms that are tapered that from the top and bottom...

4. alchemy

alchemy

Yup, I have tapered steering arms and pitman arms halfway from the other side and it works just fine. Holds tight just like it should.

Speedway sells a 7 degree tapered reamer, which is what old Ford tie rod ends are. It's expensive, but probably cheaper than what a machine shop would charge.

scrap metal 48 likes this.