Been wanting to tackle this for a while now. The tubular stuff in the chassis just wasn't to my liking so I had to come up with an alternative. Here's a before shot... I like the simplicity of F1 transmission crossmembers but wanted to use the biscuit style mounts, so I made my own crossmember. I started with the face...spent a lot of time on the pattern getting it just right. I didn't have a piece of plate big enough to span the whole width so I made it in halves. It was easier to fit that way too. After they were fit to the frame I welded them together. Once I figured out where I wanted the exhaust to run, I cut those notches out of the plate and tacked it into the rails. Then I set the transmission in place with the biscuits to make the top pieces for the crossmember. Started with a pattern then cut it out again in halves. All the cutting was done with either an electric angle grinder or an air powered cut-off wheel. The shaping was also done with the grinder. I didn't have a hole saw the correct size for mount holes, so I got most of the way there with a unibit and finished them out with a carbide bit in the air tool. The bends in this one were made in the vise with a little help from a hammer. Not beautiful, but functional I made these so that where the edge of one piece meets the other there is a valley to fill with weld. They don't overlap. All welding was also done with a MIG. Then, the fun part! Making the bottom piece. I cheated here and picked up some 1/8" x 1.5" bar from the hardware store. All I had to do was bend it. I made a makeshift roll from a piece of an old torque tube clamped to my workbench. I started with the center curve first and worked out to the ends. You can see the "learning experience" piece at the back of the bench when I tried to start bending from one end...oops. Got it as close as I could then started tacking it in. Again I started in the center and worked outwards. That way I could tweak the bar after each tack weld so it matched the plate perfectly. I left the ends long so I could cut them off to the exact length once I got everything fitting nicely. Then welded it all up, dressed the welds, and metal finished it. I will finish welding all the pieces to the frame rails and box around all of this before the chassis is done. The last hot rod I built used square tubing or pre-made and purchased stuff everywhere. I've been working with a lot of plate on this project and having a lot of fun too. Just because what you need doesn't exist doesn't mean it can't! Thanks for looking guys!!