Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Crazy Chirping noise from bellhousing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Feb 13, 2020.

1. I know this kind of breaks the rules, but i'm desperate. I've got a ford 5.0/AOD combo in a customer's '66 ford. When it gets good and hot (like after a short freeway trip), it develops this awful chirp coming out of the bell housing in park. you can kind of hear it when your'e coming down the fwy offramp but it goes away when you get to the bottom. during normal driving nothing, but once you put it in park, it fades in until its really loud, and it fades away when you put it in gear. it sounds like a real bad belt chirp, but it is not the belt. I guarantee it.

I've checked everything. it is not a belt, there is nothing rubbing, the flywheel and convertor bolts don't have any shiny spots, there are no shavings in the bellhousing. I am well convinced, as are the 8 other guys who have listened to it that it is in fact coming out of the bellhousing.

I've had the trans out twice. I've had the torque convertor opened up and took the pump out. the flywheel had no visible cracks.
    This video isn't mine. its from like 4 years ago , but this is the exact same noise... The title says cracked flexplate, but there should be a question mark at the end. I found this on a bronco forum where the guy was trying to figure it out, but as many threads go ,there was no resolution posted.

this thing is driving me bats.
    any help?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  2. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I'm just making guesses...but this caught my attention..."you can kind of hear it when your'e coming down the fwy offramp but it goes away when you get to the bottom."
    That (to me) sounds like fluid level. Have you changed trans fluid and filter?
    Then "fades in until its really loud, and it fades away when you put it in gear"...again...fluid?
    I'm just guessing.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

For some reason the cracked flexplate isn't that uncommon......

sunbeam and papadaddio like this.
  4. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

5. Charlietruck62

Charlietruck62

How's the thrust on the crankshaft?

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Flexplates are cheap enough to replace, Check the welds on the ring gear

bobss396 likes this.
  7. You would have to take the flex plate off to really take a good look at it. Possibly the front pump is noisy?

8. Or a balance weight that came loose enough to call for attention?

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Back in the previous century, when I started as a line mechanic, we had a fleet of big trucks that had automatic transmissions. We heard that “ squeak” for weeks! We checked everything! Couldn’t find the source. Finally weeks later, after driving these trucks eight hour a day, one quit pulling. Tore it down, the cracked fly wheel / flex plate finally totally spun out right at the crankshaft. The “ squeak “ would also change on these trucks at different times and different conditions. Just my experiences.

Bones

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    alanp561 likes this.
  10. Kind of along the same lines . . . Have you checked the pick-up tube off the filter for cracks or a missing or damaged seal where it plugs into the trans? Maybe it's somehow picking up more air than fluid out of the sump. Maybe hook up a gauge and check the line pressure.

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Is there a front pump bushing the convertor neck goes in? Lippy

12. 26Troadster

26Troadster

my grandson's ot truck with a aod trans makes a noise like that but nowhere near that loud. hope you find it and post what it is.

warhorseracing likes this.
  13. OK.
    So.
    Whoever put the car together didn't set the PCV system up right. There was no breather in the system and the engine was trying to suck itself shut. As a result is was sucking air in through the rear main seal. Took the sealed oil cap off and the noise went away. So needless to say I installed a proper PCV system, drove the snot out of it, and its all good now.

Thanks for your input, and hope you don't ever have to spend the kind of time we did chasing this one!

14. Thanks for getting back, glad you fixed it.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. wow

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crazy symptom for sure, nice sleuthing. I don't imagine the engine leaked any oil with that kind of vacuum inside it.

17. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Well darn. I never would have guessed that as a source.

18. Nice... I would have had the transmission out and apart chasing it down...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Who would have guessed.
    Thanks for getting back to us and sharing the details of your issue and the resolution.
    Happy hot rodding.

Papas32, kidcampbell71 and 51pontiac like this.
  20. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Yep , something learned every day here. Thanks

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

I ran into something similar once myself....a 454 BBC with a PCV valve but just a rubber plug instead of a breather in the other valvecover. It had a set of those thin, stamped aluminum, gold anodized Moroso race valvecovers on it....vacuum would pull them down tight to the top of the rocker studs and make a rattle....but it was easy to spot as it permanently deformed the top of those thin covers, bowed them down even at rest. Idiot that put it together was a local repair garage "mechanic".
    In the same engine, when the cam wouldn't just easily slide into the cam bearings, he took a big dead blow hammer to the front of it to get it in there...Comp 305H Magnum, and it had flat lobes on it when I saw it again 2 months later.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

So nice but rare unfortunately when the fix is posted which helps others. Very good troubleshooting.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. My brain box needs a breather like that. Whenever I wrassle with a mechanical problem it creates a vacuum and I will start making funny noises, too. :confused:

24. sdluck

sdluck