Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cranking 1954

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Charles MacEachern, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Charles MacEachern

Charles MacEachern

Hey guys! Going to spend the day today going through the checks that this forum layed out for me. But wanted to have you listen to my turnover. Filmed a vid:

Now I'll:
    Check for distributor rotation
    Check fuel flow at lines
    Check fuel pump
    Check for blockage at tank
    Check again for spark
    And then we'll go from there!

Thanks again!

2. BJR

BJR

Waste of time until you check for spark at plugs, and check for gas at carb.

3. squirrel

squirrel

check for spark, pour a little fuel into the carb and replace the air cleaner, and see if it will fire!

should take several minutes, not all day :)

But if there is no spark, then you'd want to check the wiring, and clean the points. That could take 15 minutes.

4. RDR

RDR

2 Early Chevy 6's in my early car life...2 timing gear replacements...(Good indication is: When the wipers fly up and engine dies....timing gear time....)
    Very FIRST thing you check is PULL ROTOR CAP...SEE IF ROTOR IS TURNING AS ENGINE CRANKS. If rotor turns, go on to other possible problems....:eek:

5. Charles MacEachern

Charles MacEachern

She runs everyone! And is running WELL. Kind of embarrassed to be posting this, but it was the spark after all. After placing new plugs, wires, grounding, battery cables, oil change, and marvel mystery oil lol.... She is running like a brand new car. Instant start up, beautiful shifts (hydromatic), and even glides on the faster roads. I've actually never gotten her so fast!

Thanks for all the guidance hambers, really appreciate getting her back on the road.

Suddenly I'm thinking the electrical "ghosts" her previous owner spoke about were just piss poor maintainence issues. I bet they'll be gone! The 6th spark plug wasn't even in correctly. Loose! That and the wires were burnt in places AND missing their metal plugs in some.

Bet I could even run lights no-issue. Something I was told not to do being a 6 volt.

Happy Weekend everyone.

6. BJR

BJR

Glad you found the problem and got it running.

7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927