Register now to get rid of these ads!

cracked block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southern thunder, May 4, 2013.

1. southern thunder

southern thunder

do any of these remedies at the parts stores for cracked block/heads work ?

2. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i used barrs block sealer in my tractor 2 yrs ago for a cracked head still holding. [read the instructions and no not miss any steps]

3. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Get Irontite, will fix ya right up.

4. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I have used cinnamon to seal a cracked head

5. 73RR

73RR

...hmmm...3 responses but we have NO idea what kind of crack you are looking at or where it is at.......

6. Ole don

Ole don

It depends on how big the crack is, see response number five. I have seen the whole side of a block broken out. The loose part was cleaned with spray carb cleaner and put back with bondo. Truck drove another two years, but not during anti freeze season because the guy didnt need the truck during the winter and he didnt want to loose six bucks worth of anti freeze.

7. evintho

evintho

Not to hijack but, I've got a cracked block in my Caddy Eldo. I was gonna look into the Irontite Ceramic Sealer. Has anyone used it? Does it really work? Opinions are appreciated!

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to say that part of how much trouble you go to depends on how hard that particular block or head is to find and how much money you have wrapped up in the rest of the engine.

As for block/head sealer either KW Block Seal or Bars leak and I've had the best luck with Bars leak. I've found that the most effective method for me is to put the sealer of choice in and drive the rig for about 20 miles and park it and let it set for a few hours before driving it again.

9. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

2 part epoxy... (JB weld) if the BARRS doesnt work

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Or what product(s) he's actually referring to...

11. southern thunder

southern thunder

found water in the oil after replacing the heads (valve job). the heads were done by a competent shop, so that was not a concern, thought it may be intake gaskets, pulled the intake, no problem there. changed the oil and filter, fired up fine, runs good, checked the oil again, milky again, must be in the block, the short block did sit in the truck a few days in winter temps.( 25-30*). but as to the size of the crack, I don't know. thanks for the help guys, unless somebody has another guess, I'll try one of the recommended fixes.

12. Head gasket?

13. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Slow down for a second and think about it. The heads had a recent valve job, I'd start there. Even competent shops can make a mistake, and it may be possible you made a mistake reinstalling those heads even if they were done right.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. What motor and what gaskets?. I am assuming you tightened and torqued everything in the correct sequence... But what head gaskets did you use? If you use Felpro gaskets... The tend to leak and cause problems.

15. K&W block seal. Follow the instructions. If K&W don't fix it i would start looking for another motor....as long as it doesn't have engine oil cooler in the radiator.

16. K&W Block Seal--the best,but its tends to clog radiator tubes so be aware of that.
    And yes,follow the directions.

17. upspirate

upspirate

I've read lots of leakage problems on here depending on motor & heads.
    1.Problem with machining
    2.wrong head gasket
    3.gasket installed wrong (holes not lining up correct)
    4.Intake gasket not installed correct
    5.intake bolts with no sealer going into water jacket

18. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Was the deck of the block machined or just the heads?

19. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Don't know what engine you have but some engines have head bolts that go into the water jacket and could leak if you didn't seal them. I've had the best luck with Zecol Mendtite for any type of cooling system leak and it doesn't plug the heater core or radiator. KW block sealer works well but it can plug up things you don't want plugged.

20. Wardog

Wardog

I have a FE 390 with a crack from one of the freeze plugs on the out side of the coolant gallery. My machinist/reconditioner said anything he can do is temporary at best and not covered by warranty. 2 part glues?, forget it! He found me a block and is rebuilding a fresh engine that will come with parts and labour warranty. The cost hurts but will be forgotten when this thing holds together for 30 years.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

21. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Depends on how big the crack is. (must resist inserting joke here...) If the crack is just seeping the stuff in the bottle works good.

22. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Had you been running the engine before the heads were replaced?
    Why were the heads replaced?